Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
45mpg

It seems with age my Yaris is getting better mpg, last take recorded 45.12mpg 440 miles on 9.75 gallons of regular 87. I drive a 2012 stick with 31000 miles on the odometer. For mods I have removed the hubcaps, rear seats, and spare tire. This was all suburban driving with some A/C usage.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Nice! My engine only has 320 miles on it thus far, and is probably still in the "break-in" phase.

I'm still getting accustomed to the smaller (11g?) gas tank in my Yaris, which creates the illusion (according to gauge level at end of week) that I am going through more gas per week than my old 2000 m/t Accord EX Sedan (w/17g tank).

I will be doing my first gas tank refill later today after work. On my Accord, I had to put around $25-28 into the tank each week just to get from around half back to full tank. The same amount of money on my Yaris should take me from nearly empty back up to full, at current prices. I have no idea what gas mileage I am getting on my Yaris currently, while doing my normal weekly routine. I will have to watch it more closely this coming week and see what I am coming in at for MPG.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-21-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Looks like you drive an SE? I am tempted to trade up... There is a black stick shift one locally too.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
Looks like you drive an SE? I am tempted to trade up... There is a black stick shift one locally too.
The 2015 Yaris manuals are sweet to drive (I assume that the manual L/LE use the same new clutch as the SE). I really like the new (for 2015) redesigned hydraulic clutch in it. I like it as much as any Honda/Acura manual that I have ever driven - and I have driven quite a few over the years, including various Si's and such.

-
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
Kalispel

Quote:
It seems with age my Yaris is getting better mpg, last take recorded 45.12mpg 440 miles on 9.75 gallons of regular 87. I drive a 2012 stick with 31000 miles on the odometer. For mods I have removed the hubcaps, rear seats, and spare tire. This was all suburban driving with some A/C usage.
I finally cycled through my LED console display on my 2015 Yaris and saw that I averaged 32.2 mpg during my first week of ownership. Except for jumping on the highway to zip down a few exits here and there, all my driving is typically city street-light to street-light commute type driving here in Phoenix, so I am not surprised that I am only averaging lower-end "CITY MPG".

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-22-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Every now and then I get in a hurry, and actually keep up with the traffic on the short stretch of Interstate I traverse to get to town, 80 MPH speed limit! I use the air con. a lot also. I STILL am getting over 40 MPG averaged out over the last 3 years. I also from time to time, floor it and damn it's pretty zippy too. No hub caps, spare, rear seat, jack, etc. Mid 40's very easy to achieve when driven as usual. 80K miles.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I finally cycled through my LED console display on my 2015 Yaris and saw that I averaged 32.2 mpg during my first week of ownership. Except for jumping on the highway to zip down a few exits here and there, all my driving is typically city street-light to street-light commute type driving here in Phoenix, so I am not surprised that I am only averaging lower-end "CITY MPG".
It dawned on me last week after I posted this that I never reset the Avg. MPG Computer on my console display when I first received my car, so no telling what data was already in it. I reset it, and halfway into my second week of driving my new 2015 SE m/t I am averaging 37.6 MPG on my daily in-town work commute and errands. Much better!

-
Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
It dawned on me last week after I posted this that I never reset the Avg. MPG Computer on my console display when I first received my car, so no telling what data was already in it. I reset it, and halfway into my second week of driving my new 2015 SE m/t I am averaging 37.6 MPG on my daily in-town work commute and errands. Much better!

-
I don't know if such funtionschanged with the '15, or if I suffer from a lack of knowledge because I only skimmed over the owner's manual . I followed what some others have posted and assumed that the avg mpg reading = for the life of the car and isn't able to be reset. Don't know if the '12-'14 can't be reset, or if those years are the same as the '15 . I should probably look at the owner's manual . I've never reset mine, and it shows 40.6 MPG. Others have pointed out that this gauge probably overstates because when you take your foot off the gas, etc. the gauge often goes to 99.9, and you really aren't getting 99.9 MPG during those (albeit short) periods.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I don't know if such funtionschanged with the '15, or if I suffer from a lack of knowledge because I only skimmed over the owner's manual . I followed what some others have posted and assumed that the avg mpg reading = for the life of the car and isn't able to be reset. Don't know if the '12-'14 can't be reset, or if those years are the same as the '15 . I should probably look at the owner's manual . I've never reset mine, and it shows 40.6 MPG. Others have pointed out that this gauge probably overstates because when you take your foot off the gas, etc. the gauge often goes to 99.9, and you really aren't getting 99.9 MPG during those (albeit short) periods.
Yeah, the 'real time' MPG function seems sort of worthless/annoying, as it jumps around a lot while you drive depending upon the exact circumstance at the moment.

I prefer the 'average' MPG function. When I pressed the button and held it down, the old 32.X 'average' reset to 0, and then seemed to restart from that point on - as it was less then 20mpg for the first few minutes of driving, while leaving my house and poking around my neighborhood streets in 1st/2nd gear before hitting the main road. The'average' display on mine never jumps around, and slowly either goes up or down by 0.1 (or stays the same) as you drive under different conditions.

-
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Yeah, the 'real time' MPG function seems sort of worthless/annoying, as it jumps around a lot while you drive depending upon the exact circumstance at the moment.

I prefer the 'average' MPG function. When I pressed the button and held it down, the old 32.X 'average' reset to 0, and then seemed to restart from that point on - as it was less then 20mpg for the first few minutes of driving, while leaving my house and poking around my neighborhood streets in 1st/2nd gear before hitting the main road. The'average' display on mine never jumps around, and slowly either goes up or down by 0.1 (or stays the same) as you drive under different conditions.

-
I meant the average MPG function re the my 40.6 since new and the '99.99' as a 'default' on the 'instantaneous MPG' gauge/reading when you take your foot off the gas, etc . I didn't know the average MPG gauge/reading was able to be reset at all until your post (it would probably make sense that this is a function that also exists on the '12-'14...I just didn't know about it re only scanning the owner's manual). The display on my 'Average MPG Gauge' behaves just like your description re your 'Average MPG Gauge', and the display on my 'Instantaneous MPG Gauge' behaves just like your description re your 'Instantaneous MPG Gauge'.

When other posters have mentioned the '99.9' on the 'instantaneous MPG Gauge' in various posts, they have usually done so (at least in my observation) re how the '99.9' MPG on the 'Instantaneous MPG Gauge' ends up effecting (overstating) the Average MPG reading. These past posts led me to think that the Average MPG Gauge 'Calculates' using (fully or partially) some sort of sampling of the 'Instantaneous MPG'. Those past posts from others re the effect any '99.9' instantaneous readings have on the 'Average MPG reading' could be 'all wet', so to speak .

I just use the 'Average MPG Gauge' as a guide. I still do an old school written log book, and calculate each tank separately.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Kalispel

Quote:

-
I averaged 38.2 MPG for the week, after AVG MPG computer reset last week (to clear out any pre-delivery/purchase data). Almost all in-town "city driving" for my weekly work commute and errands. Even with a decent margin of error for the computer calculations, I should easily be averaging 35+ MPG weekly. Very satisfied!

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-28-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Just for your info, on my 2014 SE the trip computer usually reads about 1.5 mpg higher than actual pen and paper calculation.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:40 AM   #13
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
I averaged 38.2 MPG for the week, after AVG MPG computer reset last week (to clear out any pre-delivery/purchase data). Almost all in-town "city driving" for my weekly work commute and errands. Even with a decent margin of error for the computer calculations, I should easily be averaging 35+ MPG weekly. Very satisfied!

-
Hell, that's great mileage!!! Nearing 40 mpg. YAY!!!
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #14
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Are you hypermilling to achieve those numbers? I don't have the patience for that, but good for you!!! That's awesome numbers.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
It seems with age my Yaris is getting better mpg
I found this to be generally true with my blue '07 Yaris .
Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Or more likely you are getting better driving it gently.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Or more likely you are getting better driving it gently.
Probably.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #18
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I also have the 2012 Yaris (M/T). I the summer, almost every tank is over 40mpg, unless I do a lot of 70+mph freeway driving. 43mpg per tank is probably average. My current tank is at 47.5mpg with a bunch of careful driving (and warm weather). In the winter, my mileage probably drops by 1/4 or so, unfortunately.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote