Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
TheFlounder
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1999 CDX
Exclamation P0171 System Too Lean issue!

Hey everyone I'm new to this site. I've owned a Yaris 1999 CDX for seven years and we've had a love/hate relationship all things considered.

Anyway, I've been trying to get to the bottom of a problem that has been harassing me for ages. The engine is pretty sick at low speed, trying to pull away from a junction is like helping a little old lady across the road, she stinks, and quite honestly it's becoming a right pain in the backside to drive.

I know that she's putting out a lean code (P0171) and I actually managed to find a sneaky 02 sensor issue. Now, I've fitted her with brand new oxygen sensors, front and back. The MAF sensor was a bit gummy, but the engine stayed the same after I cleaned it up with the proper cleaner. So I pulled the plug off the MAF sensor and tried starting her up, she stalled the first time but started the second try. The engine doesn't appear to be lumpy or hesitant at low revs now. But of course, at 3000rpm the car doesn't go any higher because of the unplugged sensor.

So could the MAF sensor be at fault here?? I can't see any signs of vaccum leaks either. I've had the engine swilling with petrol injection cleaner so asides to everything else, I'm still looking at the airflow meter and thinking that it's causing me the problems.

Hope any of this information has been (somewhat) helpful and that anybody could give me a bit of a pointer to getting my old girl working properly again :)

Cheers Guys :)
TheFlounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlounder View Post
I can't see any signs of vaccum leaks either.
how hard have you looked? have you replaced intake gasket?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote