Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Vinyl Wrap, Remove Headliner

I am one of the unlucky ones that have clear coat peeling off the roof and parts of the pillars of my 2007 hatchback. While the car is in pretty good shape and pretty low km's on it, repainting it probably isn't worth it. I'm considering putting a gloss black wrap on the roof.

Has anyone done this yet?

Has anyone taken off the headliner so I can remove the antenna? How hard would that be? Or could I just leave it on and cut a hole?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
the headliner is mostly held up via the plastic panels on the side of the car. you can loosen it and drop it from the back of the hatch area by starting theere and itll be a bolt with a cable running to it. easy enough

I vinyl wrapped my old rx8s roof for the saem reason. small minuet rust spots and fading clear. wasnt super bad but to stop it farther i laid it down
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Depending on what your budget is and your intentions with keeping the car long-term it might be worth getting a quote to have a paint shop do a cheap repaint. A good quality vinyl wrap isn't cheap to have installed. Of course if you DIY then you can buy whatever quality you want and do your best to get a clean install - being on the roof you can hide the hiccups pretty easy, lol.

Alternative idea you could consider is a Plasti-Dip or a similar spray on coating. Seen some nice looking dip jobs when done well; also seen peeling, flaky junk.. Not intended to last forever, but like a vinyl, if you're careful and with it being the roof, you can get away with a lot.

Good luck with it - post pictures and show off your work!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Thanks for the response. I'm still not totally decided on whether I plan on doing anything at all. But, if I do, it would be attempting to wrap the top myself. I considered plastic dip, but going with the wrap should be less expensive.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote