Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #19
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
I have been towing with my small trailer. I use it around town and as far as 200miles. No problems. Just keep a couple of canadian dollars and the car thinks it is a canadian model, so it can tow.

SWEEET! This is about the size I'd been considering. Thanks man!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I don't recommend if you have an AT.

Gene
My AT performed amazing towing, as long as you balance the load. I went over 1,000 miles with over 1,200 lbs total weight (passengers, dogs, gear, trailer) with a old 4x8 utility trailer and in all honesty it drove better (and netted almost 20mpg more) than my '87 Chevy Astro with a 4.3L V6. Just keep the trailer light, but for camping like you mentioned you should be fine.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #21
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
This issue comes up ever few months. Personally I feel that a small trailer under the 700 pound limit would be ok. However having been involved in 2 personal injury lawsuits in my life (one as a plaintive and the other has a defendant) I wouldn’t put anything past the insurance companies or lawyers if you were involved in an accident while towing.
Liability is of great concern, especially not to exceed GVWR or GCWR. If no GCWR is specified then it's an open playing field as Toyota manual says that the Yaris isn't recommended to tow, it doesn't state that you 'cannot tow'. Just abide by the weight sticker in the door jamb. If no GCWR is specified then use your best judgement. I wouldn't exceed 1000lbs without aftermarket brakes, let alone trying to pull a 2000lb load like the euro folks.

A tip on what NOT to pull with a compact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
any pic from the underbody? I'd like to see how it's set up.
Real hard to get pictures without hoisting the car. This is the Curt Class I hitch. My only complaint with Curt is that the finish sucks. Didn't take long for paint to flake off and rust. You can see it mounts to the transport tiedowns with 2 small and 1 large bolt per side, and tucks up behind the bumper.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
I wouldn't exceed 1000lbs without aftermarket brakes, let alone trying to pull a 2000lb load like the euro folks.
That's something I entirely agree with. Thus why I said only go over the 700lbs point if you have a trailer with brakes on it, so it does a good chunk of the slowing instead of basically rear-ending your car every time you try to slow down.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
I have the Hidden hitch brand hitch, went through winter it still looks great. I got it from e-trailers.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Real hard to get pictures without hoisting the car. This is the Curt Class I hitch. My only complaint with Curt is that the finish sucks. Didn't take long for paint to flake off and rust. You can see it mounts to the transport tiedowns with 2 small and 1 large bolt per side, and tucks up behind the bumper.
Those pics are plenty fine! Thank you for taking the time
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #26
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I don't recommend if you have an AT.
Actually, an Automatic Transmission is better at towing for most current cars, including our Yaris. Instead of slipping the clutch under the heavier load, the torque converter just does what it's designed for and multiplies the torque to let you get moving easier. It's also very easy to add an oil cooler to most automatic transmissions, which can almost eliminate the added wear and tear from towing.

For example, you could only get the Metric Tonne towing package for a Jeep Comanche with the AT because it was feasable to hook up a transmission-fluid cooler since the AT fluid was actively pumped like engine oil is, and and the stock AT torque converter could handle the load but the stock MT clutch would burn out.

With that package and a 5th-wheel kit reinforcing the frame? Those things are BEASTLY tow machines though, they have no problem towing a 35-foot 5th-wheel RV in the 16,000lbs range at 65 for hours on end. On a sub-3,500lbs compact pickup truck, mind.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #27
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Trucks are meant to work, don't forget. However, manufacturers are pouring more money into bettering their automatic transmissions as only 10% of people currently buy a vehicle with a standard transmission (light duty vehicles). Even light duty trucks are now all automatic when equipped with a V8 engine. Automatics have more options and the valve body can be configured for more fluid flow if necessary. In some cases this can be done yourself. Shift kits are widely available for machines that regularly tow to decrease clutchpack/band slip, but only for automatics.

In some cases, you could easily exceed the GCWR as most owners generally do because they are CLUELESS when it comes to trailer and vehicle weight (sales people don't always tell you what you can safely tow, they'll just try to sell you something big and expensive in hopes that you'll buy it). One of my 2.5L Dodge Spirits that I owned has a 3 speed auto, and it had TWO external transmission coolers that were dealer installed (aftermarket parts). The car was used by by-law enforcement and was always driving slowly, or parked on asphalt, which gets really hot in the summer months. I put on 280,000miles on that car before the frame rusted through. Original transmission and bought it with 42K on the odo.

Electronics also play a big part in automatic transmissions as well. As much as I prefer a manual, the wife can't drive it, and I don't like rowing gears during heavy traffic.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Sorry the pic is a little dark. Just finished a 1000 mile trip with the trailer...480 there empty, 480 back with a John Deere 300x, and about 80 miles while there getting my Dad into assisted living. Gas mileage suffered, I drove 65-70 mph. I have an auto tranny and it was in the 90-100 degree range during the day all weekend.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #29
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
There could be a carriage difference between the Yaris design sold in the US and the Yaris sold in other countries. For example of known differences between models, Toyota offers different size motors, and a diesel motor, in Europe, than are not offered in the US.

Plus there are import restrictions between the US and Canada because of different emissions standards.

So there could be enough differences between the US model other models that make towing with the US version unsafe.

Since Toyota provides a towing loop bolt for the US model of the Yaris, and recommends that tow truck operators not tow the US version of the Yaris using the under carriage, because of how light the under carriage is on the US model of the Yaris, Toyota may view the US version of the Yaris to be unsafe to do any towing.

If you decide to tow, with make sure that you have maximum automobile insurance coverage available.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 06-29-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammer errors
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
careful when you ask questions here about trailer towing! only discussions about oil viscosity raise more passion than the dreaded 'can i tow with the yaris?'. i'm not going to comment one way or the other, but i find it ironic that some folks will bash someone for even mentioning 'towing' on this forum, however, whatever you want to do to your engine to raise the hp is fair game
Towing? That's a little strange because I think the Canadian owners manual actually list a tow rating for the MT model. Why would folks be bashers on the idea? Besides I think the tow rating was high enough to pull a trailered small Jet ski or even a trailered snowmobile.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #31
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
There could be a carriage difference between the Yaris design sold in the US and the Yaris sold in other countries. For example of known differences between models, Toyota offers different size motors, and a diesel motor, in Europe, than are not offered in the US.

Plus there are import restrictions between the US and Canada because of different emissions standards.

So there could be enough differences between the US model other models that make towing with the US version unsafe.

Since Toyota provides a towing loop bolt for the US model of the Yaris, and recommends that tow truck operators not tow the US version of the Yaris using the under carriage, because of how light the under carriage is on the US model of the Yaris, Toyota may view the US version of the Yaris to be unsafe to do any towing.

Honestly, what you said is just speculation here.
The cars are the same in Canada and the US build-wise, along with Europe. The most likely reason they don't want you to tow in the US is so you go buy a Tacoma or Tundra pickup instead, lol. The undercarriage being "light" is not why toyota recommends towing by the wheels, it's to prevent damage to the car and transmission. The loop bolt is not for towing BTW, it's there in case you get stuck in a ditch, and there is no access to the rear to pull the vehicle out. I put a few thousand towing miles on my AT yaris. The only time it had an issue was when I had negative tongue weight, and that tow was only a few miles in town.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #32
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Here I am at the campground, got a site with electricity this time and they also have wifi, so I can post some pictures. 88 miles, one way, tomorrow we're driving back.

I must say I'm impressed, this configuration was easier to drive than I expected. The car handles just fine and drove most of the uphill sections of our trip in 5th gear at 55-60 mph. I think I will be using this trailer for many more trips to come.

And now for some UHAUL product placement. The Sport Trailer weighs about 550 lbs empty and costs $20 a day:

I got a thumbs up from a little girl riding in a passing Toyota Sequoia on the way here
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #33
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
+1 on this:
Quote:
I wouldn’t put anything past the insurance companies or lawyers if you were involved in an accident while towing.
I think you really need to think about the manual's specs. 500-700lbs is pushing it in anything other than flat terrain, this includes people, cargo, hitch, trailer, and trailer-cargo... when towing, torque is a huge factor, as is what ever this little drive train can take care of. automatic vs. manual in hilly//rocky/slippery terrain makes this even harder. all in all, torque is a huge factor I think.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #34
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Actually, an Automatic Transmission is better at towing for most current cars, including our Yaris. Instead of slipping the clutch under the heavier load, the torque converter just does what it's designed for and multiplies the torque to let you get moving easier. It's also very easy to add an oil cooler to most automatic transmissions, which can almost eliminate the added wear and tear from towing.

For example, you could only get the Metric Tonne towing package for a Jeep Comanche with the AT because it was feasable to hook up a transmission-fluid cooler since the AT fluid was actively pumped like engine oil is, and and the stock AT torque converter could handle the load but the stock MT clutch would burn out.

With that package and a 5th-wheel kit reinforcing the frame? Those things are BEASTLY tow machines though, they have no problem towing a 35-foot 5th-wheel RV in the 16,000lbs range at 65 for hours on end. On a sub-3,500lbs compact pickup truck, mind.
I don't doubt that the AT will do a better job at towing than an MT, especially given the "grabbing" I've been hearing about with Yaris clutches.

Can the AT hack it? Cooling isn't quite enough, you also need to modify the AT in SOME CASES to accept higher loads.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #35
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Here I am at the campground, got a site with electricity this time and they also have wifi, so I can post some pictures. 88 miles, one way, tomorrow we're driving back.

I must say I'm impressed, this configuration was easier to drive than I expected. The car handles just fine and drove most of the uphill sections of our trip in 5th gear at 55-60 mph. I think I will be using this trailer for many more trips to come.

And now for some UHAUL product placement. The Sport Trailer weighs about 550 lbs empty and costs $20 a day:

I got a thumbs up from a little girl riding in a passing Toyota Sequoia on the way here
That's a cute little set up. Towing 200 miles a few times a year probably wont hurt anything. But those are still hard miles and doing it every weekend would cause increased wear and tear on the Yaris.

By the way you have the best color Yaris Toyota makes.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #36
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
+1 on this:

I think you really need to think about the manual's specs. 500-700lbs is pushing it in anything other than flat terrain, this includes people, cargo, hitch, trailer, and trailer-cargo... when towing, torque is a huge factor, as is what ever this little drive train can take care of. automatic vs. manual in hilly//rocky/slippery terrain makes this even harder. all in all, torque is a huge factor I think.
I really didn't feel a big difference in handling or going uphill. On the way back I even had the AC on. Didn't make a difference, smooth driving all the way. The only big difference is when braking, you feel the extra weight you need to slow down, so you should plan for it. I also noticed that the hitch ball took a beating on the rear side, but no scratches on the front side, so again, I think it's the braking and the potholes/cracks in the road surface that make the trailer bounce.

Unfortunately, I don't have a temperature gauge, so I can't tell if the engine got hotter than usual during this trip, but I am not concerned at all, judging by how everything felt.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote