Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
d3310n

Drives: black titty
Exclamation HELP! Lights/ electrical problem

ok so i painted the inner part of my left headlight with plastidip today, took the headlight out, took it apart painted put back together and blinker and high beam work fine, no low beam. thought maybe i plugged the red a black plug to the blue box thing backwards (idiot me) so i proceeded to put it in backwards and it made a dirty noise so i killed the lights. put that plug back the correct way and its back to the way it was before, nothing more appeared to be broken from that.

fast forward to advance auto parts, decide i might as well upgrade both the bulbs to something nicer anyway. i get home and on the left painted light i have no more highbeam, dim yellowy light works, but get this, on the right (unmolested) headlight the dim yellowy light (which i think is trying to be the lowbeam? my low beams are usually brighter and way more bluish) is making a very scary electrical fizzing noise and the dim yellow light is very flickery. high beam and blinker work fine on that one.

somebody please give me some help? im very confused, i havent installed the new bulbs from the store yet im really not sure what to do from here :(

2009 yaris 3 door
d3310n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Buy two cheap bulbs and use for testing
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Worth checking the fuse box
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
d3310n

replaced a fuse, worked till a few hours ago, seems to now have no low beam on the drivers side. high beam is fine just went for a nice ride down a twisty road with them both on. the fuse is still intact? bulb burn out? surely the 2 events have to be related.

offtopic/ just had to pull a frog out from between my lip and bumper\
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
d3310n

pretty sure its the ballast. both bulbs are confirmed working, previous own is an idiot and didnt use brackets for the ballasts... i drive hard so i may have slapped them stupid :p oh well, time to order some ballasts and install them PROPERLY

edit: yeah one ballast is working but probably on its way out, i used that working one to troubleshoot, so thats how i know. but sometimes it makes it very dim thats why i think its about to die
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Now you mention you have hid. That buzzing is probably coming from the ballast.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
d3310n

yeah i just actually learned i had hids a few hours ago. never knew lol. the dealer didnt seem to know much about the car i assumed everything was oem, including the slightly bluer than usual headlights.