Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Found a new bump stop option.

After 10 years of owning a Yaris lowered on moderate drop springs(Tanabe NF210) and COMPLETELY destroying 2 sets of bumpstops, I had to look at other options that would fit the Yaris and possibly last longer than OEM. Stumbled upon a set that's meant for the front struts of the VW Passat, Golf, Jetta, etc. Looked like it would fit, so I took the plunge and spent the measly 14 bucks and got some better-than-expected bump stops that fit perfectly for our application.

They are 70mm in length(2.75 inch) and fit right into the OEM bump stop mount. Made of some high quality, high density foam that is firm but dampens hard bumps well. Compared to the stock OEM bump stops, these look and feel 10 times better. These are also shorter than stock(about 1-1.25 inch shorter) so you don't have to trim them when installing lowering springs, just drop them in.

Made by FEBI, Part number 1K0412303B. Made in Germany.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-06-10 19.10.01.jpg (354.2 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-06-10 19.11.40.jpg (317.0 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-06-10 19.13.07.jpg (265.6 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg febibumpstop.jpg (28.0 KB, 366 views)
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Thanks for the info, this is really good to know as I'm not too sure how my stock bumps will look when i swap in Bilsteins.

Btw let me know how you find the B8's with lowering springs
Old 06-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Yes, as T said, very helpful, thank you.

I'd also be interested in your impression of the B8's with lowering springs. That's the setup I'm leaning towards when my OE shocks/struts go.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Thanks for the info, this is really good to know as I'm not too sure how my stock bumps will look when i swap in Bilsteins.
Probably all crumbled and broken into pieces like mine

To answer everyones question about the Bilstein B8's on lowering springs, I only had them on for a week and put about 300 miles on them but so far they have been quite impressive. They are much firmer than stock but still quite comfortable for daily driving. Only time the ride gets harsh is over really broken up and bumpy roads. At low speed you can feel the bumps on the road more but at higher speeds it feels smooth. Cornering is much better, can take corners at faster speeds and stays flat. Feels stable over bumps. I feel very confident with this setup vs the stock shocks. Very happy with the B8's so far as I was a bit afraid it might be too stiff for daily driving. I am more of a "comfort-sport" type than a "street/track" type and these fit my needs quite well.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

15k mile Bilstein update: the driver side front strut is now blown. Took apart the suspension to diagnose a loud clunk sound when turning right into driveways. Strut had zero rebound dampening and barely any compression dampening. You can hear a piece of metal rattling around when flipping the strut upside down. It also clunked when checking the shaft for play which is what I think caused the noise. Sucks I can't warranty these out since I bought them second hand. Oh well, bought another bilstein strut, hopefully they'll last but we'll see.

Oh and the new bumpstops still look good and are holding up very well so far.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
15k mile Bilstein update: the driver side front strut is now blown. Took apart the suspension to diagnose a loud clunk sound when turning right into driveways. Strut had zero rebound dampening and barely any compression dampening. You can hear a piece of metal rattling around when flipping the strut upside down. It also clunked when checking the shaft for play which is what I think caused the noise. Sucks I can't warranty these out since I bought them second hand. Oh well, bought another bilstein strut, hopefully they'll last but we'll see.

Oh and the new bumpstops still look good and are holding up very well so far.
Very interesting update, thank you. I sub'd to this thread for when the time comes to replace my factory shocks/struts. Happy to hear the bump stops are holding up but concerning to hear about the blown Bilstein. That's what I was thinking about going with. Hopefully it's just an abuse by previous owner thing and not indicative of the quality of those struts overall.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #7
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

I think the previous owner did a couple track days with them. Looked like new when I bought them. His setup was a mild drop like mine, I have the Tanabe NF210 and he had RS*R springs. I think these broke much less than 15k miles because I've been dealing with the loud clunk for a couple months. Kind of disappointed these broke so quickly, there's a chunk of metal rattling in there when shaking the strut so it's definitely a manufacturer defect. Sucks as these are the only performance shocks readily available for the Yaris. I would still recommend them but I would definitely buy these NEW from an authorized seller so that you are protected by Bilstein's limited lifetime warranty.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Ok I think I found what caused the Bilsteins to prematurely break. After closer observation, I noticed the Bilsteins do not fully compress and that there's a 1.5 inch gap between the top of the strut body and bottom of the strut bearing. So a bumpstop that is 2.75in in length only has about 1.25in of up-travel before it bottoms out on the shock. If we estimate that the bumpstop compresses about 50% of it's length during a hard bump, that would be 1.38in of compression, which slightly goes past the amount of cushion these bumpstops provide. So really what that means, the bumpstops aren't protecting the shocks at a certain point and the shocks themselves are bottoming out during hard bumps.

I think the Bilsteins were designed to be used with the OEM bumpstops. There's a plastic spacer on the OEM bumpstop that limits up-travel by about 0.75 inch. Full length of the OEM is about 3.5in. The plastic spacer provides some insurance to protect the shock but knowing that the OEM bumpstops will crap out in a year or two has me worried. A crumbling bump stop doesn't provide much protection.

Quite the dilemma here. I need a bumpstop that's at max 3.5 inches long, any longer than that and the car is pretty much riding on the bumpstops. A bumpstop that isn't too "squishy" and is firm without compressing too much. The Febi bumpstops I have compresses quite easily the first 0.5 inch and then stiffens up. But I do have some time to figure out since these Bilsteins are on backorder for 5-7 weeks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-20 18.49.28.jpg (30.0 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-02-23 19.35.42.jpg (75.0 KB, 274 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
hichamaziz
Banned

Drives: my car is the best
very helpful, thank you.
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
wow, crazy stuff, thanks for the update. I'd probably stick with the Febi bumps, I'd be surprise if they compress to 50% easily as they will be progressive when being squished. Obviously this will depend on your roads and the spring rate of your springs but as you stated crumbling bumps offer virtually zero protection. This is one of the main benefits of coil overs as they are all one unit designed to work together so you avoid the issues of Frankenstein set ups with potential compatibility issues.

It is disappointing that the Tokiko Blues are no longer made and the back order of the B8's makes it seem like these are not a big seller and potentially will be discontinued down the road.

Hell I couldn't even get Fortune Auto to make custom spring rates on the rear for our car due to the lack of market for them. The only option was DC sports who were very willing to do virtually any spring rate I wanted.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
ern-diz

I have B8 rear shocks in-hand and front struts on the way. About to try and buy these bump stops. Any update/feedback you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

While we're at it and before I go off searching, does anyone have any top mount recommendations? Thinking something harder than KYB OEM but not full poly urethane either.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Ok I think I found what caused the Bilsteins to prematurely break. After closer observation, I noticed the Bilsteins do not fully compress and that there's a 1.5 inch gap between the top of the strut body and bottom of the strut bearing. So a bumpstop that is 2.75in in length only has about 1.25in of up-travel before it bottoms out on the shock. If we estimate that the bumpstop compresses about 50% of it's length during a hard bump, that would be 1.38in of compression, which slightly goes past the amount of cushion these bumpstops provide. So really what that means, the bumpstops aren't protecting the shocks at a certain point and the shocks themselves are bottoming out during hard bumps.

I think the Bilsteins were designed to be used with the OEM bumpstops. There's a plastic spacer on the OEM bumpstop that limits up-travel by about 0.75 inch. Full length of the OEM is about 3.5in. The plastic spacer provides some insurance to protect the shock but knowing that the OEM bumpstops will crap out in a year or two has me worried. A crumbling bump stop doesn't provide much protection.

Quite the dilemma here. I need a bumpstop that's at max 3.5 inches long, any longer than that and the car is pretty much riding on the bumpstops. A bumpstop that isn't too "squishy" and is firm without compressing too much. The Febi bumpstops I have compresses quite easily the first 0.5 inch and then stiffens up. But I do have some time to figure out since these Bilsteins are on backorder for 5-7 weeks
If you like the new stops you have just make a spacer so they engage early enough to prevent the strut from bottoming. With a cheap delrin cutting board and a hole saw you should be able to make a nice spacer.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
If you like the new stops you have just make a spacer so they engage early enough to prevent the strut from bottoming. With a cheap delrin cutting board and a hole saw you should be able to make a nice spacer.
Do you also suspect that's what's happening? I'm about to install B8's and based on this thread, am trying to decide if I should run the shorter stops or get new OEM size.

My Tein springs instructed to cut the OEM stops to a specific length. If the B8's are designed to replace OEM from a ride height perspective, then they should require shorter stops in a lowered application...

On Wheelwell
Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #14
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Do you also suspect that's what's happening? I'm about to install B8's and based on this thread, am trying to decide if I should run the shorter stops or get new OEM size.

My Tein springs instructed to cut the OEM stops to a specific length. If the B8's are designed to replace OEM from a ride height perspective, then they should require shorter stops in a lowered application...
That replacement shock clearly (looking at your pic) is bottoming and destroying itself. Most of the Bilsteins I have used included a bump stop, which was slightly softer than a hockey puck. I would say this is a case of a replacement shock that "fits" but was not engineered specifically for that application.

Even if Bilstein went to trouble of building a Yaris specific strut it would not have been built around your Tein springs - and you can assume by the Tein instructions they expect you to be using OE struts.

I would use the OE stop or put a spacer in that lets the aftermarket bump stop do its job. You could still trim it a little, but it needs to protect the strut.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
That replacement shock clearly (looking at your pic) is bottoming and destroying itself. Most of the Bilsteins I have used included a bump stop, which was slightly softer than a hockey puck. I would say this is a case of a replacement shock that "fits" but was not engineered specifically for that application.

Even if Bilstein went to trouble of building a Yaris specific strut it would not have been built around your Tein springs - and you can assume by the Tein instructions they expect you to be using OE struts.

I would use the OE stop or put a spacer in that lets the aftermarket bump stop do its job. You could still trim it a little, but it needs to protect the strut.
Gotcha, thanks for the input.

To clarify, I'm not the OP and that wasn't my picture. I'm just in a similar position where I'm running Tein S. Tech springs and am about to replace the OEM shocks/struts with the B8's. I'm happy to buy the FEBI stops, new OEM stops and use at full size or new OEM stops and cut. Just trying to find the ideal setup.

Since my B8 struts will be new in-box, I'm going to wait to see if a stop is included. If so, what size and go from there.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
Jeanseb29

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS 2011 (HB)
I installed the b8 with h&r sport springs 3 months ago and it didn't come with bump stop. Went with the febi bump stop like suggested in previous post. So far so good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Jeanseb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanseb29 View Post
I installed the b8 with h&r sport springs 3 months ago and it didn't come with bump stop. Went with the febi bump stop like suggested in previous post. So far so good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I'm also on b8's with tein stechs. I cut the factory bumpstop. All seems well so far

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote