Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Broke my bung

Tonight after work started up car and it sounded like exhaust leak really bad.

Nitto midpipe and anti-fouler......the weld for the bung did not look the greatest penatration wise......but I think the problem may of been the weight of the anti-fouler and heat and time and it snapped....that is my best guess.

So tomorrow I am taking into my muffler guy and he is gonna make the repair for me......he said it is kinda a comman problem he has seen on several cars using anti-foulers,his fix is to weld on a helper arm from the midpipe to the anti-fouler making it kinda permanant to the pipe unless you cut the helper arm off....

So just wanted to give everyone a heads up to take a good look at the pipe if you have one with anti-fouler and see how your weld is doing so you don't have to drive home 40 miles with a header and a huge exhaust pipe leak....lol

Other than this small mishap,which is just part of modding a car to me the midpipe is awesome.....been on a while now and so far this is only problem I have had with any part of the car.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
This happened to at least one other customer -- sorry about that.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
bzinn 1

No worries.....I just figured since my exhaust guy said he sees it fairly regularly on other Imports using anti-foulers I would pass it on to othes to keep an eye out on them.

I have had many friends have flanges and everything imaginable bust on exhausts....lol....just part of building a car

Best part is while I am there I can get a cost on a Flowmaster 60 series instead of the GReddy can and a Boso pipe....my GReddy it pretty much toast after 3 years of abuse on speedbumps and our freeways lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you took any pics, you should post them so we can see exactly where the failure is. If we ever produce our own midpipe, we can avoid this problem, thanks to you.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
bzinn 1

yeah I can take some pics.....good idea

I will get one of the helper arm....he uses an exhaust hanger and just welds it to the antifouler and then to the pipe so it is carrying the weight instead of the bung.

From the looks of the bung weld it was fine to hold the o2 sensor fine,but the added weight of the antifouler was probably just too much offset weight

A midpipe with antifouler attached would be brilliant....especially since you pretty much need one to keep the CEL off.

Here is what I got so far....

If the wires are not like zip tied when it is in place and the bung weld snaps it will drag it on the ground,I got lucky I was still in the parking lot....if it happened on freeway I might of broke the sensor wires and lost it all with my luck...lol

Last edited by bzinn 1; 01-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Maitre_Te_Te

Drives: Yaris 08
Hello
I had this problem to. I think that the 02 fooler is to heavy for the bunk.
I have just resolder the bunk and all its ok for the moment.

my parts: Nitto mid pipe with 02 fooller from micro image
Maitre_Te_Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
bzinn 1

Got it back up and going again.

He welded the bung back in with a couple of nice bead welds all the way around and after looking at it it looks really solid.

got the GReddy cut off and a Flowmaster 40 series put in that place with a 3" by like at least 14" long end going up like a Boso pipe.

It is freezing and pitch black out and I only have cell phone for pics so I will take some tomorrow and post them up.

I would recomend going to a muffler shop and having the bung rewelded for the sake of not having to drive like me 45miles to get home and then to muffler shop and mis a days work.

Sound wise.....it sounds like a Subie but when you get on it the pipe is like a megaphone or trumpet of sorts and it sounds like crap,well not like crap but like a motorcycle or something....but that is in the 5500+ range on RPMs.

I will probably play around with a few resonators over time or a flowmaster cat and see how it sounds
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I had a flowmaster 40 on my saturn and it was raspy as all hell.
You will need a resonator to tame it, but it should work out decent.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
bzinn 1

Agreed in the upper RPMs it is motorcycle raspy.......think I am gonna try a Vibrant or Aero 25 resonator and see how it does.

I am loving the total quiet of the complete lack of drone in the car though.

Was also looking last night for the Stinger pipe caps....having hard time finding them....but it too is an option that will help bring some backpressure and upper RPM rasp down too.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
bzinn 1

Here is the first picture of the new exhaust pipe and Flowmaster 40

I am going to have my buddy machine me a velocty stack to go inside the stainless pipe and attach to the 2" stock pipe,so it cleans up the interior look a bit,make even see about using a spark arrestor to clean up the interior look.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #11
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Necro Bump.

Thank God I saw this thread during search for nitto mid pipe, few days ago. Same snapped bung happened to me tonight and I knew what it was the instant i heard FFFFTTTPPHHH! and a dragging metal noise. Thanks to this thread.... Luckily i was right next to a parking plaza and was accelerating from a stop light when it happened. Pretty scary to slide myself under the car using only the emergency jack. I was able to ziptie it to the resonator hangers and drive home without loosing it. Besides the nasty fart can sound waking up my neighborhood's babees.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote