Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Shifter cage bushings?

Ok, first of all I want to know if the bushings on the shifter and the cage for the 2nd gen and 3rd gen are the same? I was looking at pictures of the cage bushings and pricing, they work out to around $40 shipped to me. Couldn't such a simple part be made out of a few stainless washers and some pvc pipe? After all, all the solid bushings do for the cage is give it solid feet per say, couldn't I accomplish the same thing with $4 in pvc, bolts and washers?
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Not sure if they are the same but so long as you can get the shifter cage bolted securely, that's all that matters. I didn't notice that big of a change when I did mine, but my cage bushings were still in good shape.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
My car doesnt even have 10k on it yet but I have extended the shifter by 3" so im concerned the added strain is causing extra flex, what are your thoughts?
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
It's really up to you. If you are a typical driver who just needed the extension to drive more comfortably, I'd suggest not worrying about it. If you want the extension and the best viable shifter feel, then go for shifter bushings, SSK, cage bushings (in that order of importance).
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
They will fit a 3rd gen. I'm using them right now on mine. I like the feel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
washers will be a cheap solution, but not the same as solid bushings.

I would do the cable bushings first, they have more of a "feelable" effect than the cage bushings.

You can even bolt your cage to the floor for FREE with no bushings at all - but you lose a little height.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I had the solid metal shifter bushings but took them out after a few years because they felt too stiff.

I have the cage bushings, too. Honestly, I haven't driven another manual trans Yaris, so I can't even remember what it's like.

The short shifter is the most worth while, then the shifter bushings, lastly cage, IMHO.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote