Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
tkhtx1

Drives: toyota yaris 2009 robotic 100
yaris wont start

hi,
I bought toyota yaris 2009 100 model few months ago, cost me 18.5k $ (everything is so expensive in Israel, even used cars :().
anyway after few weeks I started having problem starting the car.
the breaks will simply lock and become hard to push, the car will be on neutral but it wont start.
then I found out that moving the gear to "R" and back to "N" fixed the problem.
I wen to toyota garage and they told me that the battery is probably bad. so I paid for new one.
but the problem continues.
every time I started the car it only get worse.
If at first I had to move to "R" to start the car, after few weeks I had to wait and play with the gear some time I waited 10 minutes in the car until it started.
now the car simply wont start at all.
in the garage the simply don't know whats the problem is, the car is still there...

It makes me really sad because I really like the car.
I can do over 800km per tank.

anyway does someone know whats wrong with the car?
I can see on the monitor that playing with the gear actually changes the status from "R" to "N", so I guess that it works...
tkhtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
No check engine light?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like the park/neutral switch on the automatic transmission is acting up. Another person on here recently had a similar issue and rather than paying >$200 for the replacement part, he disassembled the switch assembly (the grey block on the transmission where the shift cable attaches to) and found that it had some internal corrosion. He cleaned the contacts, reassembled it and it was then fine.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
tkhtx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It sounds like the park/neutral switch on the automatic transmission is acting up. Another person on here recently had a similar issue and rather than paying >$200 for the replacement part, he disassembled the switch assembly (the grey block on the transmission where the shift cable attaches to) and found that it had some internal corrosion. He cleaned the contacts, reassembled it and it was then fine.
thank you I will check it out.
About the check light engine, its fine...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
tkhtx1

Turn out that it was just a minor sensor problem. the sensor that indicate that the gear is on neutral did not worked.