Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Chris Jackson

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Noise From ABS when Braking + ABS & (!) Light On - Please Help

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris that is causing me a lot of trouble, and money with the ABS. Since December, the ABS has been causing me a lot of problems with this car. Sometimes when I brake there's a loud grinding noise coming from the ABS. Usually after this occurs the ABS & "!" Lights will come on signally that the ABS is turned off. Also, when it makes this noise the car doesn't break as smooth or rapid, it kind of slowly creeps forward while making the noise. The noise only occurs when the lights AREN'T on. You can see a link to the video I made at the bottom to see the problem for yourself.

I have been to the mechanic 3 different times. I've had a bunch of new work done to the brakes themselves so I know thats not the problem. I've gotten a new ABS sensor. And today I just got back from the mechanic after he installed a new bearing, just to drive back home to find the ABS making the same noise and problem.

Does anyone know what I should do? ANY suggestions help. Thanks!

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf26ea7DzP4
Chris Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Chances are the sensors are shot causing the ABS to intermittently work or not work properly. The temporary solution is to pull the fuse and just drive with it off for now.

There is a thread on this forum that highlights how to remove the senors and then clean and apply some dielectric grease in them to stop the corrosion. Essentially it is a poor design from Toyota that allows the sensors to becomes contaminated and corroded.

Buying oem sensors are pricey so I'd recommend going with aftermarket or just driving without them. If they are salvageable, cleaning them and greasing them may improve your issue
Old 04-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Chris Jackson

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Chances are the sensors are shot causing the ABS to intermittently work or not work properly. The temporary solution is to pull the fuse and just drive with it off for now.

There is a thread on this forum that highlights how to remove the senors and then clean and apply some dielectric grease in them to stop the corrosion. Essentially it is a poor design from Toyota that allows the sensors to becomes contaminated and corroded.

Buying oem sensors are pricey so I'd recommend going with aftermarket or just driving without them. If they are salvageable, cleaning them and greasing them may improve your issue
Thanks man! I'm looking into it right now, seems to be a pretty common problem with this car especially during winter. I was thinking about just disabling the ABS for now until I can get someone to help me with the sensors (I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars). My only concern I have is, is it safe to drive with the ABS Fuses disabled? You mentioned pulling the fuse was only a temporary solution. If its safe to drive without them, then why not just always have the ABS turned off - since all they cause me is problems anyway? Thanks!
Chris Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote