Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Lift

I saw somewhere that someone lifted their car. I think it was to make it a snow plow. Anyone else lift their car or know how the snow plow guy lifted his car?

I am guessing we went and paid for new spring shock, maybe created a steering knuckle spacer and maybe created another 3/8" spacer at the top where the strut mounts to the body since the bolts are long?

I was looking at my repair manual and toyota says not to reuse the 3 strut mount bolts. Anyone know what a replacement is? Otherwise I'd would guess alot of washers and a new bolt.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I have stock springs that ride ridiculously high. Like, I have 2.5-3 inch wheel gap.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I'm the lifted snow plow Yaris guy. There are a bunch of pictures in the Crashy Lives thread below. I lifted the front by making 1/4" plate steel brackets to raise the front strut mount and cut and extended the strut support rods.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=crashy+lives
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
jstantherprsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I just finished Crashy's 4" front lift kit. I fabricated brackets to move the lower strut mounts up 4 inches higher. The combination of the 4" lift and the pre-compression of the front springs has gained me 6" of ground clearance with the plow mounted.

Custom lift kit:
Attachment 30384

The complete opposite of slammed:
Attachment 30385

I just looked through the thread. It looks like I was thinking the same thing for the lift. I'm guessing the 4" comes from bottom bolt center to bolt center on the knuckle. I'm trying to determine if I can pull it up 2". Did you use grade 8 bolts and what about the spacers?

I definitely like the plow attachment. I can see baja bumper bars on the front/ mild deer protection. I'm guessing that your blow bolts onto the unibody channels below. Did you drilled like 2 holes about 2" apart per side and then just slide the bolt through or did you cut the front and use box channel and slide it into then bolt it to the sides? Did you have to cut your sway bar links or where you able to keep them?

I wanted to lift it because yea i got the stock 14"s but the front is down so low, that I dont like slowing/stopping just to get across railroad tracks. I'm also interested in the possibility of just upgrading the front struts. I have to dig around to see if the strut is something standard. So then I can look around and different shock manufacturers. I'm also trying to learn the sizing/ standardization for springs.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstantherprsn View Post
I just looked through the thread. It looks like I was thinking the same thing for the lift. I'm guessing the 4" comes from bottom bolt center to bolt center on the knuckle. I'm trying to determine if I can pull it up 2". Did you use grade 8 bolts and what about the spacers?

I definitely like the plow attachment. I can see baja bumper bars on the front/ mild deer protection. I'm guessing that your blow bolts onto the unibody channels below. Did you drilled like 2 holes about 2" apart per side and then just slide the bolt through or did you cut the front and use box channel and slide it into then bolt it to the sides? Did you have to cut your sway bar links or where you able to keep them?

I wanted to lift it because yea i got the stock 14"s but the front is down so low, that I dont like slowing/stopping just to get across railroad tracks. I'm also interested in the possibility of just upgrading the front struts. I have to dig around to see if the strut is something standard. So then I can look around and different shock manufacturers. I'm also trying to learn the sizing/ standardization for springs.

Correct on the 4" piece. I used grade 8 bolts and bored some steel round stock to make the spacers.

For the plow frame, I mounted it to the front, where the bumper supports mount, and on the bottom, I bolted it to existing holes in the front suspension cross member. So, no mods were required to the sway bar links.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:

RLY? y didnt u buy the tundra? lol, i dont know how it is in philly but i have only needed to slow down for train tracks when my car was lowered. the stock yaris is higher then the 01 camry and that has never slowed down for a speedbump :p
Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
srry, jsut saw it was an 01 echo, i dont know off hand how high it is, but i still think u should be fine.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
jstantherprsn

The front is 3.75" off the ground from the bottom of the air dam/front spoiler.

I have another question about the lift. Did you lift the back end at all? It seems like based on its design you can only lift it so much. Like you go with a slight larger spring but eventually. If you keep going larger it presses farther and farther down. It will add some inches but looks like the spring might pop out the side.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The front is 3.75" off the ground from the bottom of the air dam/front spoiler.

I have another question about the lift. Did you lift the back end at all? It seems like based on its design you can only lift it so much. Like you go with a slight larger spring but eventually. If you keep going larger it presses farther and farther down. It will add some inches but looks like the spring might pop out the side.
I didn't lift the back at all, and it is actually still higher than the front. With the hatch gone and no weight back there, except the gas tank, the back sits really high. When I eventually add the dump bed back there I will have to do something with the back, but I suspect it will just be adding stiffer springs.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
jstantherprsn

Any idea where i can learn about other spring options? I'm sure they are standardized.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Any idea where i can learn about other spring options? I'm sure they are standardized.
The key is matching the diameter. I was going to see if I could find springs off a mid-duty pickup or SUV that would fit and have a higher spring rate.