Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
2012 Chevrolet Sonic (Aveo replacement)

Pretty impressive. The new Yaris has it's work cut out for it.

Quote:
General Motors has officially yanked back the sheets on the newest sub-compact from Chevrolet, the 2012 Sonic. Just don't call it the Aveo. The five-door hatch and four-door sedan are set to be officially unveiled later today at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, but the Bow Tie brand has been kind enough to share the skinny on this vehicle that's supposed to tango with the likes of the new Hyundai Elantra and the Ford Fiesta. The Sonic will be available with a standard 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, though buyers can opt up for a turbocharged 1.4-liter producing 138 horsepower, which GM underscores is 18 ponies more than the Fiesta. Shifting duties are handled by either a five-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic gearbox.

In fact, it's clear that The General had its sights locked on the Fiesta from the get go. The Sonic hatchback packs more back seat room than its Blue Oval competitor and, with the rear bench folded flat, delivers more cargo room, as well.

GM also put plenty of effort into the suspension by tasking the geometry gurus responsible for the Corvette's mighty grip. Up front, the Sonic benefits from a MacPherson strut design, while a torsion beam handles suspension duties out back.

There's also plenty design-wise to differentiate the Sonic from its homely predecessor, including a more aggressive front fascia with massive headlight arrays. Judging from the photos, the biggest changes are indoors, where a stylish cockpit replaces the bland, bargain plastics of the Aveo.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I like the 2 door version, it kind of looks like a Soul.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I like the 2 door version, it kind of looks like a Soul.
The hatch is actually a 5 door. The rear handles are hidden. Looks good!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
is that two door missing handles in the back? looks like it should be a four door.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The hatch is actually a 5 door. The rear handles are hidden. Looks good!
oh. i see.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?

Last edited by frownonfun; 01-10-2011 at 03:54 PM.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yea.. i like where the rear door handles are placed behind the back windows. they should have done the same with the front doors also i think like the NSX and new GT-R to have that nice clean smooth look onthe sides
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Still has the flat, "fall on your face" look to the interior. Like it looks sharp but still bland in typical GM fashion, the hatchback version does anyways.

Atleast they didn't pull a Ford/Chrysler and use the same "tic-tac" styled radio that they've been using for the passed 25 years.

I'm interested to see what the price will be on the cars when they come out

It's kind of sad to see Toyota still sitting on their thumbs doing nothing with the Yaris in terms of performance
or real updates. I don't know if Toyota is still stuck on the whole "vanilla, A to B transportation" game or not, but
things are changing around them, if they don't change soon they will be left behind. Performance for the masses
is starting to make a comeback and unless Toyota changes it's old fogey typical buyer concept, I fear for the worse.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
factory f/i ftw

prefer the look of the sedan to the hatch

as 33OH pointed out on MI, its odd that the sedan is a 5 bolt and the hatch is a 4 bolt
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
as 33OH pointed out on MI, its odd that the sedan is a 5 bolt and the hatch is a 4 bolt

I guess us Americans like doing things the hard/expensive way... heh

Either that or those are just representations of what its going to look like and not actual cars?

PS> Sonic Turbo is only 138HP? and its a 1.4l step down from the standard 1.8l offered? WTF?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
It's kind of sad to see Toyota still sitting on their thumbs doing nothing with the Yaris in terms of performance
or real updates. I don't know if Toyota is still stuck on the whole "vanilla, A to B transportation" game or not, but
things are changing around them, if they don't change soon they will be left behind. Performance for the masses
is starting to make a comeback and unless Toyota changes it's old fogey typical buyer concept, I fear for the worse.
I don't EVER see Yaris commercials on TV either....even when they show all the other models in one ad, the Yaris is missing.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Kal-El

BTW, this will be the ONLY small car built in America. Props to GM for doing this. It's nearly impossible to make a small car profitable when built in America.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic will be powered by the same powertrains Chevy Cruze is using with great success, including the Ecotec 1.4L turbo and the Ecotec 1.8L. The Ecotec 1.4L turbo’s power ratings are estimated at 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The 1.8 L engine is estimated at 135 horsepower (101 kW), along with 123 lb.-ft. of torque (167 Nm) at 3,800 rpm.
Really?... going turbo nets you a gain of 3 whole horses?

*facepalm* sometimes I can see why the world thinks us Americans are idiots...
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I guess us Americans like doing things the hard/expensive way... heh

Either that or those are just representations of what its going to look like and not actual cars?

PS> Sonic Turbo is only 138HP? and its a 1.4l step down from the standard 1.8l offered? WTF?
138hp will be the most you can get in the sub-compact class, by far. That is a lot of power in a Yaris sized car. The Yaris is pretty swift with a meager 106hp. How can this be criticized?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Really?... going turbo nets you a gain of 3 whole horses?

*facepalm* sometimes I can see why the world thinks us Americans are idiots...
turbo also gets you another 25lb-ft of tq...which is available at 1850rpm vs 123tq at 3800 for the n/a engine...

the 1.4L has a small, quick spooling turbo to get more tq.

reviews ive read say the 1.4L feels like a larger engine, but w/ the economy of a 1.4L +/-

hell, id take the factory turbo option, thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i really like the looks of this little car. the big round headlights make it look a tad more manly for a tiny car. they gotta have good mpg to compete with the new hyundais.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
BTW, this will be the ONLY small car built in America. Props to GM for doing this. It's nearly impossible to make a small car profitable when built in America.
Agreed. I'm impressed and I hope it's a winner for GM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

btw, gmcanada.com looks like the hatch has a 5 bolt wheel pattern too...
Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Thank you, Kal-El, for regularly posting new changes in the automotive industry.
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Thank you, Kal-El, for regularly posting new changes in the automotive industry.