Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #19
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Drag DR-4 Gloss Black alloy wheels with Nitto NeoGen ZR high performance all-season tires. The wheels are 17"x7" with a 40+mm offset and a four bolt pattern, 4x(100/114.3). The wheels are 10 spoke and weigh about 16.5 lbs. The Nitto tires are 215/40 ZR17 NeoGen ZR M+S all season performance tires. I got my fastest run when I dropped my PSI from 50 to about 25. Would have gone lower but I wanted to make it back home safely!
If you needed to lower the presure on 215 Z-rated tires on 7 inch rims, then you most have been slamming it into drive after reving it in neutral. Back when I was a kid, my brother use that technique on a new corolla my dad bought us. The car needed a new transmission after 10k.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 AM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
cool, sounds like you had a ton of fun. one day, one day, i'll go to the 1/4 mile.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #21
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Putting a Yaris on any drag strip is just twisted Astroman! You must be a glutton for punishment or into S & M....

Its like putting powdered sugar on a hot dog...it just isnt done!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #22
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
If you needed to lower the presure on 215 Z-rated tires on 7 inch rims, then you most have been slamming it into drive after reving it in neutral. Back when I was a kid, my brother use that technique on a new corolla my dad bought us. The car needed a new transmission after 10k.
Nope nope nope! I know WAY better than that, I'm not a stupid kid, 26 in fact and have owned many vehicles. When I was 17 I busted the motor mounts on my Ford Galaxie 500 because I had it revved up real high and it slipped into drive. ANYONE who revs up their auto and drops it into drive is a dumbass. I lowered my pressure because that is what the other racers there were doing, and I wanted to see what adjusting little things would do. (It was test and tune night.) I did manage my fastest time this way.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Putting a Yaris on any drag strip is just twisted Astroman! You must be a glutton for punishment or into S & M....

Its like putting powdered sugar on a hot dog...it just isnt done!
You haven't seen my secret room have you, ha ha ha. Yeah, I knew the yaris wasn't "fast", but it was a non-competition night (test & tune) because if it was I would have only gotten in 1 race . Now if it was a 60' drag race, I would have been doing just fine, lol. Just wanted some base numbers you know, before the NOS or turbo goes in. Also, just wanted to see when I get Chino's intake just how much it helps.

Last edited by Astroman; 06-13-2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Representing Chino!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
88ShelbyZ

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to 88ShelbyZ
Now did you just leave it in D or did you go through 1, 2, 3 and then D? I'm racing mine on the 22nd, last time I raced was in a /6 74 Dart (Best of 20.59) and I just went through 1, 2 then D.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #25
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ShelbyZ View Post
Now did you just leave it in D or did you go through 1, 2, 3 and then D? I'm racing mine on the 22nd, last time I raced was in a /6 74 Dart (Best of 20.59) and I just went through 1, 2 then D.
I actually left it in 3. The car performed a little better than in "D". Manually shifting thru the gears is useless in the Yaris auto because it is electronically controlled. You can go all the way to L while doing 60mph, and it won't drop below 3rd gear until your speed comes down into the 40ish range. If the auto wasn't elec. controlled, I could have squeezed a quicker time. It shifted into 3rd gear too soon, and I lost a lot of speed gain. Check out my timeslip numbers, my MPH didn't go up much from 1/8 mile point to 1/4 mile finish due to the elec. shift. I tried putting it in 2 but it stayed put in 3rd. I know the manual yaris wouldn't have this issue, but I did get great launches and didn't have any traction issues with my nitto neo gen tires.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #26
V8TITAN

Drives: 07 nissan titan, 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fresh View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble and I'm in no way trying to defend the Yaris as a fast 1/4 racer, but a stock Nissan Titan does not run the 1/4 in the 14 second range. It actually runs a mid 15 which is still very respectable. I'm also a Titan owner and I've done my homework believe me. My name is Clash4X4 on TitanTalk.com.
yeah i kind of bit my tongue there.. didnt think anyone would notice thats what i thot it was but didnt know maybe s/c lol.. but yeah im killcatzforfun over there...