Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Axleback questions

Sorry about starting ANOTHER Long axleback thread but I did a search and came away even more confused due to the conflicting posts. I am thinking of buying the TRD axleback since it supposed to be good for a couple of HP (plus it looks better). I figure, since it is available as a dealer option, it won't be too loud. Then I read a post from someone who claims the TRD is WAY too loud so he was getting rid of it (his profile does say he has an aftermarket header though). And then others say it is the quietest axleback available with the exception of possibly the Tanabe Medallion. And yet others who negate the latter by saying the TRD axleback currently available is not the same as the TRD axleback originally available a few years ago so it is louder than people think.

Back in 2002 or so, Lexus had an "L-Tuned" version of the IS300. It included an HKS muffler (plus Eibach springs and a body kit) as part of the package which was supposed to be good for an extra 6hp or so. Again, back then I figured since it was available from the dealer (I have a 2004 IS300), it couldn't be too obnoxious like most "fart cans". And it isn't. I like the sound and it is only slightly louder inside when cruising at 70MPH until you really stomp the gas and even then it is still not that loud.

So:

Is the TRD muffler loud or is it just slightly louder than stock while cruising? Can you carry on a normal (without raising your voice) conversation while cruising at 70MPH? Is the current TRD muffler different than the muffler they sold a few years ago? Is the Tanabe Medallion quieter?

Thanks, and again, sorry about starting another thread...

Last edited by Yaristeve; 01-18-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
I have the trd its quiet. I have it and love it.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
The reason for the TRD confusion is when the Yaris was first released in the US they imported the TRD V. S axleback (JDM for the Vitz) and it had clearance issues with the rear bumper. That is the one I had. It also looked like the OEM axleback except for the fatter pipe and stainless tip.

After about a year they released the USDM version, TRD V. R which looks nothing like the JDM version, and from what I've heard, is considerably louder. I put up some youtube videos with my V. S axleback before I had to sell it (financial hardship).

Hope this helps. For how much the TRD version cost I can get a better res-back setup. Just need $$ (or a sponsor).
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
The reason for the TRD confusion is when the Yaris was first released in the US they imported the TRD V. S axleback (JDM for the Vitz) and it had clearance issues with the rear bumper. That is the one I had. It also looked like the OEM axleback except for the fatter pipe and stainless tip.
Thanks for the quick reply:

Yes, I do remember seeing the picture you posted (see? I did do an extensive search). And I remember your comments as well regarding noise comparison between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
After about a year they released the USDM version, TRD V. R which looks nothing like the JDM version, and from what I've heard, is considerably louder.
I read this as well and this is what is confusing me.

As you can see, Yoda (thanks for your reply) says his is pretty quiet;

Yoda: I am guessing yours is the USDM version? Is it the same as what is currently available?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Yaristeve,

I was very recently pondering similar questions to yours. I'm not trying to talk you out of the TRD by any means, but I would give serious consideration to the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Very deep quiet tone that won't offend the ears with long bouts of highway cruising and you can talk normally while driving. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIO6Nn0wcAc

(Need speakers or headphones with VERY low frequency response to do the sound justice!)

It's an absolute work of art, fit is perfect and it's about the same money as the TRD.

Like you I was really concerned about the volume since Maine has a 95 db (by SAE J-1169) limit. The Tanabe is about 93 db and the volume is perfect, inside and out. I did a pile of research before buying and I am VERY happy with the Tanabe.

You can get it for a great price from Micro Image shipping included-and Garm is a great help with questions and a frequent contributor here at YW.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it! Let us know what you go with and what you think of it!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 01-18-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Thanks for the kind words. I can't really add to his review, it's a great exhaust.

That YouTube clip is on my car, btw.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
I have the Blitz Nur Spec, its good for a daily driver

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Thanks for the kind words. I can't really add to his review, it's a great exhaust.

That YouTube clip is on my car, btw.
Okay, I think I am convinced to get the Tanabe Medalion instead. When do you expect to get a new shipment (your website says "backordered")?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Mines a sedan so that that into account.
My TRD axle back is relatively quiet until under load. That meaning once up around 70+ mph on the highway it starts to get louder. And the more payload-passengers I add to the mix, the more engine load, and the more volume. That said, my wife has never commented on the noise, and she would if it was annoying. Driving alone is not an issue for me. I like the tone. Oddly, the sound is more in the cab than outside when cruising around town so it is not ricey, which I prefer. NOBODY turns there head to spot the noisemaker when I pass by. So, if you want RICE look elsewhere.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Just an FYI, that youtube clip is of a turbo'ed yaris (Micro Image). When I turbo'ed my car, my Borla exhaust note got significantly quieter. Just so you aren't being misled.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
I too have the Tanabe Medalion Touring and really like it. I agree with everything R2D2 said. I found it just a little bit too loud cruising for long distance on the highway at 65-70mph. I solved it by lining the trunk floor with sound deadener (fatmax like material) and I took the hatchback cover off and stuffed it with some fiberglass insulation. Now it's just right for dd but can still hear it when you get on it or crack the windows.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Woohoo!!! FINALLY!!! Tanabe Medalion Touring are in stock at MicroImage. Just ordered mine. Can't wait!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have the trd its quiet. I have it and love it.
yup me too just get the trd its great i had the hk before this one and its insanely quiet compared to that
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
amir2nv

Drives: toyota yaris sr 08
hi guys in my opinion aswell the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust has to be the best exhaust based on sounds/looks. yaristeve is the exhaust on microimage for the toyota yaris as it says scion xb?
amir2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir2nv View Post
yaristeve is the exhaust on microimage for the toyota yaris as it says scion xb?
Ummm... Not sure what you are asking... The tanabe exhaust from Microimage is for the the Yaris. I bought one and I find that it is a little loud. But it is right at the edge of being too loud but not loud enough to do anything about it. I bought a Supertrapp tip to weld on but it is not loud enough to actually install it.

Sometimes it is loud but unintrusive (and quite melodious) while at other times it is kind of booming. I like the sound at idle; it has a nice quiet burble.

Sorry, no pics because it is too damn hot to do anything outside. But, I will tell you that I painted the canister flat black but left the tip in its polished state. I don't like too much bling on my cars since I feel it attracts too much unwanted attention...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ ha, I did the same to mine when I had that exhaust.

We have the Medalion Touring for several vehicles, here is the Yaris-specific model:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Tan...st-T70121A.htm
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
OP: IF you want the QUIET trd exhaust for the liftback buy the VERSION S which is around 800 bucks now. ive had it since 2008 and it looks stock and produces a SWEET exhaust note in the upper rpm's.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Yaristeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ ha, I did the same to mine when I had that exhaust.[/url]
The Supertrapp or the paint?