Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
I want HID's....

Not to start a big huge flame session, but just thought I'd ask.

I currently have Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's in my 08 and 09 sedans. Great bulbs but the life on them stinks =(

If I get HID's from garm do I run the risk of getting pulled over for non OEM equipment? i've heard that some of the more "blue" colored lights in stock housing causes light to scatter / etc.

Would I need to do an HID retrofit to make them compliant?

please let me know

thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I say either get the retro-fit like I did, or fab up something that blocks the bottom of the plug and play HID kits. I've had both, and I'll tell you know, you'll blind the crap out of people with the PNP kits. People will flip you off too. The reason why the light on PNP kits are scattered is because it's being reflected from the bottom of the bowl. If you look at the 2005 Escalades, they do not have projectors, yet have HIDs. However, if you look at one with the HIDs on, you'll notice that the bottom of the reflector bowl is not being illuminated, and not scattering the light upward.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

It would be even better if you do a legit/real retro-fit too. :)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
The projector retrofit is the best option for HID's. You'll get the best light output, cops will leave you alone (as long as you don't go a stupid color), and other drivers will thank you. I did a projector retrofit on my LB (not the one Garm sells) and it's great. I get compliments, and after a couple months, not a single person has flashed me or flipped me off. Spend a bit more money and time and do it right!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
get them....support our vendors...microimageonline.com they got a bi-xenon set for 90 bux
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
The projector retrofit is the best option for HID's. You'll get the best light output, cops will leave you alone (as long as you don't go a stupid color), and other drivers will thank you. I did a projector retrofit on my LB (not the one Garm sells) and it's great. I get compliments, and after a couple months, not a single person has flashed me or flipped me off. Spend a bit more money and time and do it right!
i agree. im damn near ready to smash in all the assholes on my street for having brightass lights in the reflector housings. it literally hurts my eyes at night and when theyre behind you at a light the cabin is flooded with a blue/purple light like im being abducted by aliens lol.

besides if you do the projectors itll make your car that much more badass instead of a halfass hack job.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
just get 4300k hid's

you need to re-aim the lights down when you go HID in reflector housings...
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
http://shop.microimageonline.com/H4-...its-H4-HID.htm

The H4 bi-xenon kits @ 8K or is ice white too over the top without doing a retrofit...
Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

^ imo, that's way too blue, even with a retrofit. I think my 6000k is still too blue. I really suggest going with 4300k bulbs if you can.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
To the OP of this thread,

I have been running Garm's Plug n Play HIDs for about a year now....
They are awesome...they dont have a glare as much as other cheap HID brands out there.

But as Kaotic has said, you need to plug up this slit in the HID bulb holder frame.
I plugged mine up and when i directly look at it, i can see 90% of the light shooting on the upper half of the headlight.."no glare in your face" factor.

I simply took some pieces of aluminum foil and pretty much stuck them at that hole and voila~ perfect and no flipping off...driven behind cops at night. Just make sure you aim your headlights a bit downwards, thats all....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
I simply took some pieces of aluminum foil and pretty much stuck them at that hole and voila~ perfect and no flipping off...driven behind cops at night. Just make sure you aim your headlights a bit downwards, thats all....
A bandaid, at best. Ultimately, for output this is still wrong as I mentioned in the other HID thread.

8K is too blue. Like the other poster above said, optimal color temp range is 4300-5500K. The closest the color is to natural light, the better.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
The bandaid will tear..lol.
It's not the best solution to the OEM JDM headlights that use HIDs from the factory or projectors....but it does eliminate the blinding problem, that I can say.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote