Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
riceboy

Drives: icebox
AEM INTAKE ***UPDATE***

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to update everyone about the AEM Intake, after a ton of phone calls, and a lot of running around, I have it on good authority that an AEM intake is being developed and will be released sometime in July through Toyota Canada. So anyone who's desperately waiting for one like me, will take relief in knowing that at least one is on the way. In the meantime, I guess that frees up some $$'s for other potential mod's!!

Hooray..
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
I'm pretty sure INJEN, K&N, FUJITA are developing one as well. Good to know though.
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
your better off building your own cold air intake. Sure AEM, Injen etc spend a lot of time in development and testing but I never understood how anyone can justify spending the better part of 400 bucks to get like 5 hp if your lucky? A simple switch to K&N or equivalent filters and removing the lower leg of the stock airbox can net almost the same hp for 60 bucks (CAN).
Buy a header and manifold for the same price, youll be better off. Or get a shop to build an equivalent piece.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
riceboy

I'll do it through them because I get decent pricing because I use to work for Toyota. Other than that, I also don't have to worry about a single thing because it was all done by the dealer. If I ever have a problem I have someone to take the blame, and make it all better. As far as I'm concerned I'll pay for all modifications through the dealer only because I don't want a debate when it comes down to who messed up.

Yes I know intakes are simple to make, and easy to install, but I don't want the potential worry and/or hassle.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
silverRS

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Silver
I just got my 4dr RS with the borls performance exhaust.....sounds really nice not to ricey, like those stupid cherry bombs....actualy sounds like there could be a V6 under the hood lol.....but I want more hp. Going to ask Toyota to see what they can order for me ie. TRD headers and intake, perhaps turbo too, then we're talking. Ant the lowering springs are worth it sits real bad ass and turns nicer.
silverRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
riceboy

The headers are about $1000 CAD,.. but I'm not sure if it's offered by Toyota dealerships directly... The intake should be out by July.. as per my source at customization. If you're looking to spend some bucks.. put in the blitz blower.. it's pretty straight forward, and there are a lot of safe installs. Apparently the reason why no turbo is offered from Toyota is because they kept blowing motors on their prototypes.. the engine just isn't built for turbo...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Not from factory it isn't. But like any other engine, with enough money it can be.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
silverRS

ok so the verdict is no turbo or elso bango???? hmm......that bites....well I'll go for an intake and maybe headers when available, but not if it sets off an angine warning like I've been hearing...
Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverRS
ok so the verdict is no turbo or elso bango???? hmm......that bites....well I'll go for an intake and maybe headers when available, but not if it sets off an angine warning like I've been hearing...
Not no turbo, but no turbo without also adding stronger engine internals. Sadly, this isn't a MkIV Supra engine.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Blitz and Greddy both make direct bolt on turbo kits for the Scion xB and both run around 3 grand the Blitz kit is 4 grand. From what I understand the engine will not hold up charged, besides some basic work would have to be done first to lower the compression, whether a compression reducing gasket will work for this im not sure.

There are also a few manufacturers who produce headers which will most likely bolt on to a Yaris. OBX, Megan etc. again, these are parts for the scion but Im pretty sure everything bolts up the same, you can get the headers for a couple hundred bucks.

I understand the whole warranty issue for purchasing and installing new parts theres going to be a point when either Toyota is going to cause a lot of hassle or its going to be too much of a hassle to work with Toyota. Short of blowing an engine or cutting up parts there isnt much irrepairable damage you can cause, just keep tabs.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
silverRS

i see, i see......well maybe I'll just get a set of headers and an intake, aleady have the exhaust system. Anyone forsee any engine problems with that???
Old 05-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
aem=overpriced piece of metal tubing
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2AUTOSPL
I'm pretty sure INJEN, K&N, FUJITA are developing one as well. Good to know though.
just got an email today from injen, they are working on a CAI as we speek for the sedan, and hatch
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
silverRS

praise the lord or Buddha or whatever!!!! need more speed!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
silverRS

but Toyota isn't even one of thier manufacture options??? and no e-mail......hope your write on this
Old 05-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #16
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
I sent injen an email asking if they were working on the car, they replied they have one in right now..( I asked about the sedan)

We are currently doing our testing on that vehicle.

Hong Dinh
Technical Support
Injen Technology Co., Ltd
www.injen.com
(909) 839-0706 x206
(909) 839-0427 fax
hong@injen.com
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
silverRS

cool well that's great news, itching to put a descent intake on my baby.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #18
IntensePower

Drives: 350z, supra, xb, 240sx
New update.

Just got word, Injen is done with the protoype.

www.intensepower.com
IntensePower is offline   Reply With Quote