Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Hi, everyone!! Long time, no chat! 2007 Liftback Help Appreciated

I haven't been on the site since "the hack"

I've got a bunch of random maintenance / issues with my Yaris, so I thought I'd come here and ask the experts (yes, I did some searching before posting ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, it's an EARLY 2007 Yaris Liftback.

1)My SRS (Airbag) warning light has been on for a few hundred miles. I was reading that this is a common issue, but I didn't find a common solution besides taking it into the dealership under warranty. Any ideas?

2)I bought a set of ebay fog lights: is there a SAFE way to wire the foglights to come on with the headlights (or with the parking lights for that matter). This would seem to save me from having to install the OEM style switch..but I don't want to cut corners. I can't imagine not turning on the headlights without the foglights..but maybe I'm missing something.

3)Is anyone currently parting out a Yaris Liftback? I'm looking for a plastic piece that broke on mine after running over a small, furry, woodland creature It's a Liftback Drivers Side Front Bumper Retainer 52536-52050 OEM Toyota RETAINER, FR BUMPER
I'd rather buy it used from the community if I can.

4) I'm really impressed by Bryan, PeterPoop, and JumpmanYaris's HID retrofit (the painted housings are gorgeous!). I noticed that MicroImage is selling an "updated kit", so even if i did the same kit it might end up looking different (or not fitting the same, possibly). So, I'm considering going with something different all together. Do you guys have a recommendation? An H4 compatible "drop in" retrofit would be a plus, though I'm keeping my eyes out for Q45 'gatling gun" projectors . It was easy enough to do to a Lexus GS300, and the housing are very similiar.

I've still got a bunch of little things to fix, so I'll probably add a few more questions over the course of the next few days. I appreciate any help you can provide.

5)Another salvage part search - The metal clips that secure the socket for the daytime running light bulbs (5W5 wedge bulbs) - I don't know how I lost both but I noticed they were missing today. One of the lights doesn't stay on, and I'm assuming it's due to missing the clip. I've considered just using some good silicone epoxy and putting a bead on it to keep it in place, but again I'd rather not cut corners.

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 07-26-2011 at 02:20 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
To answer you're #4, here's a recent picture of mine. It's the Mini D2S projectors with Gatling Gun shrouds from TheRetrofitSource.com. I can get a better picture if needed.

Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For the SRS issue, check out this post for info on how to see what the stored DTC is:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473

For the fogs, you can connect one of the coil wires for the aftermarket fog relay to a 12V feed and the other to pin 13 on the headlight stalk connector. Pin 13 goes to ground when the light switch is turned to parking lights or headlights.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Welcome back!

Quote:
I noticed that MicroImage is selling an "updated kit"
Fits the same.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Thanks for the help, guys!! I'll run that diagnostic for the SRS problem.
Cali, I've still got a few questions about the differences between the different H4 Bixenon swaps, but I really want to take the dive soon. I want to confirm that the projectors themselves are the same between the eBay cheap kits, the morimotos, your Microimage ones, FX-Rs, etc. I understand that there is HUGE differences in quality when it comes to the ballasts and bulbs, and that will be the deciding factor. But, I still want to know my options when it comes to shrouds, angel eyes, and whatnot (for example, will Morimoto shrouds fit on the MicroImage projectors).

BTW, I just noticed I posted this up in the Photo-Video-Media Gallary I'm a bit rusty
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Lil Abner

From my understanding, the projectors are all different sizes. The FX-R's I'd say would be the top of the list, but would require modifying your reflector bowl to get them mounted. The Morimoto's and the MicroImage ones have a threaded neck that goes into the H4 bulb hole (with a little filling). I can't comment on light output of the MicroImage ones, but I love my Morimoto D2S's. They have a nice large projector and lense, with great output.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Good stuff! Researching on HIDPlanet is definitely helping, but you guys know the Yaris headlight housings best. I've already got Lexus GS430 Phillips OEM Ballasts and OEM bulbs (I think they're D2R)..but with my luck they won't work (D2S..or ballasts are too big..gotta be something lol). I'd be happy to buy the MicroImage (and probably will), but I just want to know my options and the differences.

Oil & gear oil change, clean/recharge K&N air filter, fix bumper, polish/seal/wax, spark plugs, air cabin filter, fog lights, Bixenon swap, brake shoes, SRS light, WD-40 hood latch release, reattaching roof trim, undercoating fenderwells and rear floor.... busy busy busy

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 07-26-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Lil Abner has it right, ours should be pretty much plug 'n play after you open up your headlights. The Gen3 I sell includes a seven-color rear facing LED ring with a controller.

This is especially cool on the Yaris, it really lights up the whole housing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Lil Abner has it right, ours should be pretty much plug 'n play after you open up your headlights. The Gen3 I sell includes a seven-color rear facing LED ring with a controller.

This is especially cool on the Yaris, it really lights up the whole housing.
Is the shroud chrome like the previous generation? I really like the "dark chrome" effect produced by the black housing. If not, are the shrouds interchangeable between the newer and older generations?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Lil Abner

I'm pretty sure the MicroImage projectors are an all-in-one unit. In that, the shroud is a part of the projector. You could see what the outer diameter is, and maybe a different shroud might be able to fit around it. I've seen guys paint their projectors (minus the lense) a different color. So you could do that, and add a coat of "dark chrome" to it. For output pictures, I think there are some shots on the forum somewhere. (edit: erased cut-off comment)

The MicroImages ones come with the ballasts and bulbs (I'm pretty sure), so the stuff you have wouldn't work. If you did the other projectors, you'd need to get D2S bulbs, not your D2R bulbs. HIDPlanet is a great resource. Look some more, I think they had some comparisons between the projectors.

Last edited by Lil Abner; 07-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Thanks again for everyone's help

I just changed my spark plugs (OEM replacements at Autozone: NGK Iridium IX) and disconnected/reconnected the battery. But, when I started the Yaris up it is idling WAY LOW (~415 rpm compared to ~600-800 before changing plugs) and shaking. Is this normal? Do I just need to drive it for a few days for the computer to "relearn"?

Too much to do...I feel like the freakin' rabbit off of Alice in Wonderland. Tea time, bishez!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Yes the computer justs needs to relearn
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Yes the computer justs needs to relearn
Man, you're quick
Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris View Post
Man, you're quick
And he's from down under!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Most of the maintenance went smoothly, thanks to the help of everyone here.

Though, I'm still struggling a bit with the eBay "OEM style" foglights. I've read through MicroImage Install and Wiring Diagram .pdfs, as well as the Toyota Tech .pdf for foglight installation, as well as 2 or 3 DIY articles online AND a few other sources, but I'm still not completely convinced that I know what I'm doing. I was going to post up some pictures of MY specific "OEM style" fog lights wiring harness, but it turns out that someone else has already posted about it here --> http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=foglight

1) Like Skeck, I'm wondering why I only have one power wire going into the fuse box, when most every other kit has an instruction manual that shows 2 wires. Am I supposed to put a "Y" in the cable or just plug into a single side (if so, which side)?

2)What size/type of terminal connectors do I need?

3) Skeck was discussing a Toyota brand Relay that he purchased to replace the relay that came with the kit. Do I need to buy a new relay, or will the one in my kit do the job?

4)As you can see in Skeck's picture, the harness has a black wire and a red wire near the relay, and a blue wire at the other end (on the other side of on/off switch).
I want to be able to turn the foglights on at anytime, even with the ignition off. So I'm pretty sure I'm using pin 3 and pin 7 of Connector D4 (headlight stalk connector).
So, where do the wires go to :)

Red: -= Pin 7 =-
Black: -= Pin 3 =-
Blue:

Thanks again for everyone's help!! I spent a few hours polishing the headlights, and I'm excited to see my little car all lit up ;)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

1. At the fuse box there are two pins for the left and right fogs. They are common, so you can connect to either or both. Connecting to both ensures that you don't exceed the current limit of one pin/wire.

2. The terminals are par number 82998-12340. I have some on hand if you need them.

3. Using the OEM relay is easier, as the wiring between the fuse box, relay and stalk connector are already there. If you use the relay with the kit, then you will have to wire the setup per the kit's instructions.

4. Pin 7 of D4 is not used. It would be pin 3 and chassis ground to be able to turn them on at any time (even with the headlights off).
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

I didn't get any instructions with the kit, sadly.

I went ahead and ordered this Relay off eBay.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771078124...witem=&vxp=mtr

I appreciate the offer on the connectors. I might have to take you up on your offer and buy a few. I'm checking with the guy I bought the Relay from to see if he's got any that are salvaged.

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 01-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris View Post
I didn't get any instructions with the kit, sadly. Depending on how much the Toyota relay will cost me (and if I'll have to wait to get some of the pin connectors), I might just go that route. Though, I would like to get this wired up

btw, is this the correct Relay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771078124...witem=&vxp=mtr
I hope I haven't inadverdantly broken a rule by posting an eBay link, but I figure this is an appropriate time.
That is the correct relay. 90080-87026 or 90987-02027 are the part numbers normally associated with the Yaris for the fog light relay.