Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
2nd to 3rd gear shift (manual tranny)

anyone notice any difference when shifting from 2nd to 3rd compared to all other gears? every gear shift with the exception of 2nd to 3rd feel ultra smooth. however, when i do shift from 2nd to 3rd, not all the time but some of the time i can actually feel the gears being meshed together thru the stick. hard to explain. it just doesn't feel like the rest of the gears. it has never grinded or anything like that, it just "feels" different. and it doesn't do it everytime, only sometimes.

i changed my tranny oil from the stock crap to redline mt-90 but it has made no difference with regards to the feel from 2nd to 3rd.

anyone else notice this?
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Not really. The only gear that feels different is 1st. At least in my tranny it is hard(er than the rest) to change to 1st except when the car is in movement. And reverse it is not smooth except when driven the last feet in neutral before parking.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Overall I don't really like this car's gearbox... I often miss-shift because I don't push the stick far enough when trying to shift fast. But I think once I get a short shifter it might feel nicer.

As for a difference in feeling when shifting, not really, to be honest... In fact, 2nd to 3rd seems pretty smooth most of the time...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

maybe i'm not giving it enough muscle when changing into 3rd. i've noticed when i actually push it into 3rd pretty hard, i can never get it to feel weird. maybe i am babying it too much and just need to give it some beef.

ah well, as long as it is not grinding, i'm sure it's fine.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
I find it rougher when going from 1st to 2nd.... the rest are pretty smooth.
I too sometimes don't push it all the way in 2nd causing miss shift. Perhaps its those extra baulk rings or something on 2nd gear.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Third is always be the toughest to get right, no matter the make and model. Also, in my old 5spd Civic, which still had it's original clutch after 300,000km, third gear was most sensitive to dirty transmission oil. I'd have problems engaging third gear (similar to a bad synchronizer), but after changing the transmission oil, the problem would go away until about 80,000km later when it started up again and that was my cue to once again change the oil.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Slummy

Drives: Black LB
Yeah, I agree w/ whoguy, 1st to 2nd is tuffer than 2nd to 3rd. Also somtimes I find it reluctant to go into 1st at slow speed.
Slummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
not really
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I feel that when changing from 3rd to 2nd gear.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
anyone notice any difference when shifting from 2nd to 3rd compared to all other gears? every gear shift with the exception of 2nd to 3rd feel ultra smooth. however, when i do shift from 2nd to 3rd, not all the time but some of the time i can actually feel the gears being meshed together thru the stick. hard to explain. it just doesn't feel like the rest of the gears. it has never grinded or anything like that, it just "feels" different. and it doesn't do it everytime, only sometimes.

i changed my tranny oil from the stock crap to redline mt-90 but it has made no difference with regards to the feel from 2nd to 3rd.

anyone else notice this?

I have noticed this for sure, specially when I'm accelerating hard. But ya, I'm concerned about it.
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
So far I've had no major problems shifting. When I first got the car I did stall in first because there was a difference in the amount of pressure needed to feed gas in first between the new car and my old car.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

i drove my 02 corolla around today. i installed a trd quickshifter in it awhile back. the gears on that thing are so smooth.

my theory is because our cars are so new they need proper time to break-in. my corolla had 8k miles on it when i bought it. i do remember having some of the same issues with the tranny. with it now having 34k miles it feels so much better than the yaris. i think over time the tranny will break-in and feel a lot better. plus its got 5 year warranty if i recall correctly so i have plenty of time if anything is wrong.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
There is prolly some break in needed. I haven't had any problems with my shifter, but I absolutely hate the clutch. Way to soft and squishy.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Finding 2nd when fast shifting is harder than any other gear, maybe because its on the bottom left close to my leg do to the position in wich I drive. I really don't know....

But reverse I personally hate it.... its hard to find