Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Ziishan

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 5dr 1.4TDi
Exhaust or air induction on yaris diesel.

Hi everyone, new to this site and forum, only just bought a Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D. Its the 2010 model.

Wanting to spice it up a bit, already had windows tinted and wired a sub & amp plus tweeters on stock headunit (did it myself )

Anyhow im now looking at making it sound better. Been told a new back box would make no difference coz its diesel, and air induction kits will apparently make it slower and more fuel consumption.

Could anyone advise me on those two matters... Exhaust and/or air induction? Which is better and also a type that i could use?

Thanks in advance people.

P.S dont know if theres a difference but im a UK yaris owner
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Us American yaris owners only get the 1.5l gas engine. I would love to have a diesel yaris but alas it cannot be.

generally speaking, I would say that a less restrictive intake and exhaust will make more power. I don't know diesels and the little I do know is on larger ones (3/4 ton pickups). I would also say that if you are concerned with volume (making it louder), you will probably get more out of the exhaust than the intake. the intake will make it louder but not as much as the exhaust.

not sure what the aftermarket looks like for the diesel engine. there is a nice growing market for the us engine (1.5l gas).
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Ziishan

Thanks for the info BEEF.

Are you saying to do both intake and exhaust? I know the intake will give a more noise of turbo (deeper sound) but from what ive been told, on diesel engines, by changing the exhaust it will have no difference to the sound.

Could you clarify on this? Thanks :)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
BEEF

I think the exhaust on a turbo diesel is much more free flowing than on a regular gas engine. I would still think that it would make a difference. there again, not sure on that one.

I know it isn't a direct comparison but just doing the exaust maifold (header) on my car made a very noticeable difference in sound. I don't think you can do that since you are dealing with a turbo manifold and all. I am actually surprised there isn't a larger aftermarket for the turbo components.

I wonder, are you after sound or power? to me, sound is more of a biproduct of power. power is more desirable for me.

if sound is what you are after, you could go with a monza tip or something similar though it may not be the particular sound you are after. the resonator tips have been dubbed low pitch whistles but they are louder.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Ziishan

Not looking for power, it has enough for me as it is. Maybe remap the ECU later but thats a different story.

I was looking at tips but then i noticed my exhaust comes to a slight dip. Meaning its straight and then bends down towards the road. I just wanted something to make it sound nice.

Having looked up on both, only exhaust seems possible as there dont seem to be any induction kits. :/

You say monza tips? Any good on diesels tho?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
BEEF

realize that in the states (united states) we don't get many diesel car. given that, there are many things that are universal.

placing a tip (resonator tip) on a given exhaust will make it louder. sometimes it has a drone to it that most don't like. monza is a good name brand that people like and they put a lot of research into their products.

on the intake side, even if you can't find a ready made intake, you can always piece together one that will work. just get a high flow filter (most are cone style) and put it on the intake tube. you can get rid of the intake box and if you have the skills, fabricate a heat shield like the one AFE uses. here is the one I have just for an example.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/aFe...L-51-11302.htm
Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
i put a Pod filter on a non turbo 2.6L diesel motor with the stock exhaust, very very loud induction noise, almost like the stock exhaust was pushing air back into the motor and out the filter haha.. it was awesome haha. couldn't tell if it was faster or more fuel guzzzling but was more fun to drive.

it sounded faster tho.

an airfilter and free er flowing muffler would be good/interesting to know about if you do do it or someone has done it before on a D-yari

putting a turbo on would be the best thing to do by far. If it already turbo.. a remap would do great
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Ziishan

Thanks for your reply guys....

I looked into and gonna try something that most people have done. Going to hacksaw the exhaust so that its straight, and then buy a standard exhaust tip and put it on.

As for the front, my car has no air induction packages so need to find a universal filter, any heads up on these please? Been looking at K&N but really hard for me to figure which is best. Single cone or dual cone?

Willygoodness - yes my yaris is a 1.4 diesel turbo. At standard its 90bhp but with a full sport remap im predicted to get 127bhp with 196lb of torque. :D