Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
ThomEdwardDudgeon
Chainsaw

Drives: 2012 Yaris Sedan
Steering Wheel secrets revealed!

I just wanted to get your attention since most here say their steering wheel is too low. I'm 6.2, 215 pounds in a 2012 Yaris Sedan with power windows. I've tilted the seat back which did help with the steering wheel but not much. If you have a tilt-control wheel and you don't mind it locked in place, you can do this: Pull off the two plastic stalk covers, find the two nuts that hold the column up to the underside of the dash and remove them. Take off the tilt control lever and the bracket -both nuts are reverse winding. Jiggle the bracket until it all falls on the car floor-you won't need it. Now, get a two-inch plumbing stay (metal), make sure the holes are the same diameter as the remaining bolts beneath the dashboard, wrap the stay around the column and push it straight up till it stops. Best with a friend helping but you can use anything that'll hold the column where you want it. Tighten the stay to secure the column up and trim off plastic on the stalk cover so you can reassemble it-take your time-it will go back on, and quickly. For me-it worked perfectly! If you're a little shorter, you can add a few washers to fine tune the height. It cost me 2.50 and took about an hour. I really wish I took some pictures, but really, it's extremely simple. Good luck
ThomEdwardDudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote