Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Deshi Basara

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
Post Lowering Springs

Can anyone share their lowering spring experience. I have a hatchback 09 so I'm looking into either Tanabe, Tein or megan. Can someone tell me which one is better and why. I'd like more information please.
Deshi Basara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
What wheels (give us size and width) and tires do you have?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
If you get springs with a very low drop (2") like the Tien S-tech, you really need to replace the shocks/struts at the same time. There is a lot of info about why in these forums.

I just took my "summer" suspension setup off yesterday (Tokico blues + S-Tech springs, 205/55R15 DZ101s) because I can't clear the rails on a car wash with them installed. Winter up here involves salt on the roads, and having 3" of ground clearance is a recipe for getting stuck in every snowdrift. If I lived in the south, I wouldn't even think twice about keeping them on all year. If you have a lot of speed bumps near you, the Tokicos may be too low: I end up scraping the plastic in front of the rear wheels with anything other than just me in the car.

All of that aside, from a performance perspective the combination works great. There is very little body roll on cornering, and the nose stays nice and flat when accelerating/decelerating. The tradeoff is in ride comfort: you will feel every little bump in the road.

For comparison with OEM shocks/struts and springs, I went to take a freeway entrance ramp that my summer setup can easily handle at 50 mph and thought I was going to go in the ditch.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I have an '08 3 door hatch, and am currently just running the MI springs. Great price, and fantastic performance, with a mild (~1.7") drop. I currently just have my stock shocks, but have a set of Tokico Blues to match them with.

Like Cranky, living in WI leads to a LOT of snow, especially being on the lake (lake effect is insane at times). I plan on putting my stock springs back on for the winter, and doing the MI springs and Tokicos next spring/summer (which God knows when the snow actually stops in WI...).

As far as performance goes, again, like Cranky, I can take 25mph exit ramps in excess of 50mph, but I wouldn't dare try that stock. Keep in mind, this is without aftermarket shocks, so adding that would be even more beneficial (though I do have a full set of chassis bracing and a rear sway bar)

Check out www.microimageonline.com, you'll find all the parts you'd need for suspension there, and the customer service is second to none.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
The only way to provide informative insight would be for you to provide your objectives first. All the top brand springs are basically equal but will each satisfy a particular desire better than another.

- how low do you want to go
- do you wish to maintain OEM comfort
- enhance spirited driving, visual appearance, or both
Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm thinking this would best if it were moved to Wheels/Tires/Suspension category.

Meanwhile, +1 on more information about your driving habits, and what wheels/tires you have. You can drop from barely 1" to 2" with springs. You can have an OEM ride to a stiffer, responsive ride. Lots of choices in springs with the Yaris!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
G-Ammo

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009; 1.0 3 Cil.
I have a 09 Yaris too and I have the Eibach lowering springs (2,5 CM)... they will drop a bit afterwards (0.5 / 1 cm). I have 195/50/16 underneath it with 30mm spacers in the back.

I love the springs :D have them for about 15000km.

Only thing I have is that people in the back will make the car scrape a bit (the rubber against the wheelcase, but that's cause of the spacers).
G-Ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
kou

Drives: 08 lb
I have TRD springs(maybe 1 3/4'' drop) with Tokico HTS struts and shocks. This is a great combo if you are willing to take the time with getting the right amount of adjustment on how stiff/soft you want your strut/shocks to be. I will say if you not going to take some time to adjust and think just setting them to full firmness will be best you are wrong and bad things will happen out on the road.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Deshi Basara

I have stock wheels
wanting at least 1.8 in drop
I would like for the highway wander to go away
I want it for look and have a safer and more comfortable ride
I'm all about handing, looks, and better gas mileage..lol 45 mpg highway :)
Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

It's not going to be a "more comfortable" ride.

1.8+ would include:
Tanabe DF210
Tein S Tech
Micro Image

Given your requirements, I recommend the Tanabe DF210 -- correct drop with ride comfort.

Your wandering will go away with the correct tire, alignment and a rear sway bar.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Deshi Basara

Ok, does the DF210 fit for any year? Also, I am a bit fascinated with the sway bar.

What does the sway bar do? I read the tamago's guide but I'm still a bit lost of how it can help.

BTW! Garm sir thank for you the SSK kit! awesome result :)
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I recommend ksports for lowness with comfort. They have a similar drop as the ones mentioned by CaliYaris above but they are progressive rate. This means under most compression they barely stiffen up. On larger bumps or potholes and in the corners they could get pretty stiff.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ H&R are progressive as well, but not as much drop as the OP requested.

A rear sway bar transfers weight from the outside rear wheel (where the car is pressing down) to the inside front wheel (where the car is losing grip). This increases grip where it's needed and lessens body roll.

Yaris springs fit ALL YEARS.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Deshi Basara

Garm, do you have any recommendation for the sway bar?

I might go for the tanabe df210. Still kind iffy about installing it myself..lol
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

The Whiteline is the best bar, in stock, adjustable, and I switched to that one in my own car.

Ultra Racing bars are just a bit simpler, I'll have those in stock again in a while (ocean freight is slow).
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I have the TRD sway bar (which, if I'm not mistaken, is an expensive version of the UR line) and love it, but would have preferred getting the Whiteline adjustable bar. Definitely go that route if you can, you won't regret it.

Garm, did you ever find out if the Whiteline fits with the GTSpec/UR Rear Sway Link Brace?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Deshi Basara

That whiteline sure looks different from every other sways that I have seen.
What is the difference with this one and the TRD?? I saw your video Garm and if I buy it from you guys, will the bolt holder close to the gas tank be filed :) as a courtesy? lol
Old 10-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
The white line is 22mm adjustable ^ Trd is 19mm fixed, ur is 19mm fixed or 23mm fixed.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote