Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
iwanttobeamole

Drives: 2000 Yaris 1NZ-FE Supercharged
Jimze Supercharged 1nz-fe Build

After a number of months of saving and planning, it's come time to upgrade my supercharged 2nz-fe engine in my 2000 Yaris.
I'm planning on a 1nz-fe running some lower compression pistons and stronger rods, amongst a few other things, but I'm very interested in any ideas, hints and experiences of those out there who have been down this route.

So .. My current set up is as below
Engine: 2nz-fe 1.3L, completely stock.
Jimze supercharger kit (I believe it's an Eaton M45 supercharger) with K&N CAI.
Supercharger is running up to 10.8psi at rev limit (6500rpm), but as a result the ignition timing has been pulled right back to stop the thing from detonating, give it's still running stock compression. (10.5:1)
The ECU is a Link G4 Storm which is a complete replacement. It made 74wkw (~100whp) So not terrible for a 1.3, but not anything too amazing.

The plan.
Obviously a 1nz-fe to start with. I'm planning to put some wiseco low compression pistons in. At this point I'm thinking 9:1 compression, but am open to advice here. Obviously with a larger displacement I'll be looking at a little less boost with the same S/C drive ratio. Obviously some stronger rods also, which I've sourced locally.

I'll be building the engine on a stand so have the advantage of having time to do what I want to do.
Without going overboard (as I don't have an unlimited budget) I'm looking at some amount of head work, including:
Port and polish
I'm looking at a cam grind. Kelford here in New Zealand offer a reasonably priced cam grind service.
I wouldn't mind getting some more revs out of it so perhaps some stiffer valve springs to facilitate that. I saw a set on the microimage online shop which look good.

Other than that I'm looking at a lighter flywheel. There's a JUN one available for ~38k Yen out of RHDJapan.com which looks Tidy, but for less than half of that I can get a standard flywheel lightened and balanced. Anyone got any experience here? How much lighter can you make a standard 1nz-fe flywheel?

I'm going to leave the gearbox and diff alone at this stage. Maybe that'll be the next step in the project.

As for fuel, I'm running the standard fuel rail and pump at present but with some "derestricted" 1zz injectors which now flow at ~700cc with a nice clean spray pattern.

Goal
The aim here is to make a reliable, relatively economical engine that's making somewhere in the 100-110wkw range. I drive the car a lot for work (~800km's a week) so I need it to be well behaved.

So that's the plan. As I said I'm open to any ideas or experiences that people have had specifically regarding running a lower compression setup for boost and strength.
Is there anything glaringly obvious that I've missed that I need to look at?

Also worth noting, I know I'd get more power from a turbo setup, but I'm a huge fan of a supercharger, so I'm going to stick with it for now. I might look at a turbo build at some stage in the future. :)

Here's the car and Dyno sheet from the current tune.

#Edit - I'm going through fixing the links to the pics because photobucket sucks. Hopefully I get them right

Last edited by iwanttobeamole; 02-19-2020 at 04:12 AM.
iwanttobeamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1nzfze, jimze, supercharged, supercharger