Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
elmercurrie
foreign oil = dependence

Drives: 3 door
Megan or Tein suspension

Question? I'm trying to find the best suspesion to lower my Yaris, the "Tein Basic" looks pretty good, but offers no adjustment to the shocks (dampening, I guess you would call it) only ride height, I've heard a lot of good things about it though. Megan Racing has a coilover kit too, it's called the "Megan Coilover Damper Kit " and you can adjust the ride height and shock dampening. I haven't heard of either of these companies before, until I found this site (Yaris World), and I've read no reviews of the Megan suspension. If anybody has knowledge of both systems or even is using one or the other and can offer an opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks, Elmer
elmercurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
The one thing to keep in mind is the ride quality. I was researching the two and noticed that the Megan coilovers have a much higher spring rate then the Teins did. This could attribute the a much more harsh ride, but it would be good if you planned on racing it.

Thats really all I know. Tein is a lot more well known, and probably a more comfortable daily driver suspension. Good luck with your decision let us know what you decide. I'd be VERY interested to hear some reviews on the Megans.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Ive got a good ride quality on my Tein Damper Coilover kit, much more comfortable than what I though it would be... Go get it!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
R0ME0

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo
I'd go tein all the way!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Well, I have decided on Megan but it will be another month or two before I get them installed.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Do you have to contact the company direct to get info? I have Megan springs (NOT coilovers) and haven't found any info on spring rates. It's much firmer than a stock AW11 MR2 but softer than my 80 RX7 (but this RX7 is firmer than others I've driven..don't know what's been modified), but exactly how I like them...street/daily driver and no racing. Let me know if there are any sites listing comparisons of rates...I'm interested.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Do you have to contact the company direct to get info? I have Megan springs (NOT coilovers) and haven't found any info on spring rates. It's much firmer than a stock AW11 MR2 but softer than my 80 RX7 (but this RX7 is firmer than others I've driven..don't know what's been modified), but exactly how I like them...street/daily driver and no racing. Let me know if there are any sites listing comparisons of rates...I'm interested.

Megan Coilovers Spring Rates: 6kg Front and 5kg Rear and Tein F:4k R:3.1k

matter of fact here are all the specifics

Megan Coilovers Features:

Spring Rates: 6kg Front and 5kg Rear
32 Levels of Adjustable Damper
Rubber Dust Covers.
Adjustable Ride Height
Aggressive Spring Rates
Single-Cyliner Design
Aluminum Brackets
32 Levels of Adjustment:
1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

All coilover damper kits come with 1 year manufacture-defect warranty.
All Hardware is Included
SELLING PRICE : $895.00 per set.

Tein Specifics

Spring Rate:
Front: 4 kg/mm / 224 lbs/in
Rear: 3.1 kg/mm / 174 lbs/in

Ride Height
Front: -1.9 in
Rear: -1.9 in

Ride Height Adjustment
Front: -1.3 ~ -2.8 lbs/in
Rear: -1.2 ~ -3.0 lbs/in

TEIN Type BASIC damper is for the driver that is seeking high performance with a reasonable price. The Basic damper MSRP starts at $750.00, which includes 4 springs and 4 shocks. Compared to the "sleeve type" coil over, the Type Basic has a more exclusive set up for a better balance of suspension travel and damping force.

High performance and cost effective.
Ride Height adjustable.
New paint coating for rust prevention.
Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications. (only available for the U.S.A Market).
Available for overhaul.

Contents of damper kit
Height Adjustable shock absorber x4
Main spring x4
Lower spring seat x4
Seat lock x4
Thrust washer x4
Bump rubber x4
Dust cover x4

just for fun the Tanabe DF210 are Spring Rates F/R 3.0 / 2.2

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 05-16-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Tein are only 910. we are not talking much price difference at all here.
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
churp

Do the coilover rates have any similarity to just the lowering coil rates? (say for the Megan springs?)
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Well, judging by the Tanabe spring rates I listed yes I guess so but the Megan Racing Springs say for the Yaris, (Note: Spring rates and drop amount vary by different vehicle application and chassis load.)

They do however list spring rates for other applications. Leads me to believe the spring rate for Yaris is yet to be determined.

Various spring rates for megan racing springs I have found are anywhere from 200 to 350.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
don't feel like reading through the replies right now, but from my experiences with these two companies, i'd go with Tein. i had lowering springs from Megan on my GTI when i had it, and i have Tein springs on my Yaris. the Megan springs promised a two inch drop, but i only got, at most, a 3/4 inch drop. the S.Tech's did what they said they would. oh, and the Megan springs were not at all stiffer than the OEM springs.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
don't feel like reading through the replies right now, but from my experiences with these two companies, i'd go with Tein. i had lowering springs from Megan on my GTI when i had it, and i have Tein springs on my Yaris. the Megan springs promised a two inch drop, but i only got, at most, a 3/4 inch drop. the S.Tech's did what they said they would. oh, and the Megan springs were not at all stiffer than the OEM springs.

but we are talking about adjustable coilovers for the most part here, that is how the thread originated
Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
ColinT

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to ColinT
From what I see the megans are a better choice. Stiffer, threaded strut mount (dosnt limit travel when lowering) and they seem to be of alright quality. The shocks are made by Bor Chuann ( http://www.bcec.com.tw/ ) which are rumored to make Apexi shocks but I don't know for sure. Also the springs look to have a very similar finish and text to the Cuscos. Once again I don't know if that means anything. The thing that really needs some improvement is the instructions, pretty vague and written in poor english.

I be putting a set on Friday and Ill give a review then. Please bear with me as my composition skills are not the best.

The only thing that bums me out on them is that all of Megans other applications come a lot more cool stuff for the same price. (pillow balls)
ColinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
but we are talking about adjustable coilovers for the most part here, that is how the thread originated
i know, just giving feedback about the companies. then again, Megan can suck with springs, but excel in coilovers.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #14
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Tein Basic's would be a better choice for a daily driver...
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
ColinT

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to ColinT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i know, just giving feedback about the companies. then again, Megan can suck with springs, but excel in coilovers.

Megan seems to be a company that outsource everything they sell. So quality can vary greatly from product to product.
ColinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinT View Post
I be putting a set on Friday and Ill give a review then. Please bear with me as my composition skills are not the best.
Awesome! I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Do the coilover rates have any similarity to just the lowering coil rates? (say for the Megan springs?)
off subject somewhat for this thread but how did your springs settle? did you end up with 1.5 drop a little more less? have you measured?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #18
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
off subject somewhat for this thread but how did your springs settle? did you end up with 1.5 drop a little more less? have you measured?
Measured after a couple weeks and its probably more like a 1.375 drop both front and rear. Carried a load of 4 truck tires w/rims to a friends today (parting out Big Bertha the van, who needs a truck when you have a LB)....actually think I would have to try hard to ever bottom out. Firm, the way I like it.