Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
CIPA 36500 - auto dimming mirror w/ map lights, compass, outside temp. -- installed.

I replaced my Gentex K31 with a CIPA 36500. I like the CIPA better. The Gentex had yellowish / greenish non-replaceable LEDs for map lights. The CIPA uses replaceable bulbs for map lights and so I took them out and replaced them with white LEDs:

Another problem I had with the Gentex was that its base stuck out past the dotted area of the windshield. The CIPA's base looks like it was made for the Yaris. Its base goes down 90 degrees just before the end of the dotted area so it's entire base fits within the dotted area:

The Gentex had its compass / temp. display on the mirror, taking up some of the mirror. The CIPA has it below the mirror. Here are other pics. of this CIPA mirror:

The CIPA mirror is as wide as the Gentex (both are wider than the stock mirror) and it's taller than the Gentex so the CIPA is the biggest mirror of the three. It also has the same harness and temperature probe that the Gentex had. Gentex / Mito and CIPA / Magna Donnelly are different companies and I was surprised to find that both mirrors (Gentex K31 and CIPA 36500) use the same harness and temperature probe. The wire pinout of the harnesses are the same as well. Finally, the most important part; the Gentex uses a gel based system for the auto-dimming function while the CIPA uses a completely solid system for the auto-dimming. The CIPA dims and un-dims faster than the Gentex.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Nice review of the mirror.....did you install this yourself?
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
IsLNdbOi

When I got my LB from my dealer, they installed a Gentex mirror for me. All I did was take the Gentex mirror off and put the CIPA mirror on. The harness is the same.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
ericmbnomore
I've made a post!

Drives: Infiniti G35
CIPA

Thnx for the info and pics. 3 Qs 4 u:
1. Where did u buy the CIPA from?
2. What type/number were the replaced bulbs?
3. Where did u buy the LEDs from?
Thnx again
ericmbnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
IsLNdbOi

I got the CIPA 36500 from Amazon.com.

I got the LED bulbs from V-LEDs, but they don't carry the ones I got anymore. I got the "11 SMT" version of this:
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P.../vpid/4835708/
Old 02-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Does the 36500's wedge mount work with the Yaris' existing mirror mount, or do you have to pop off the OEM one and glue the CIPA's on?

And, what's the project with the taped off HVAC control knobs?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
IsLNdbOi

The 36500's wedge mount slides right onto the stock wedge. No need to remove the stock wedge.

That taped off stuff was just to protect the silver pieces when I was installing USB ports and a new HU. When I had an '07 LB, I didn't tape off the silver pieces and they got all scratched up.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
potorap

Drives: 2009 Yaris
How tough was it to install this unit?
I am looking to add ambient temp sensor and this would be perfect and if it was a simple install it is a win win. Thanks
potorap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
IsLNdbOi

It was simple to install. The only part that took some time was pushing the wires into the cabin from the engine bay.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Rob MC

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 DR Hatchback
I bought a Gentex. How exactly are the wires supposed to be pushed into the cabin from the engine bay? Unfortunately, the Gentex didn't arrive with a set of installation instructions and I haven't seen a post that thoroughly shows how to fully mount the mirror (including wire set up).
Rob MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
how's the install ?
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
I replaced my Gentex K31 with a CIPA 36500. I like the CIPA better. The Gentex had yellowish / greenish non-replaceable LEDs for map lights. The CIPA uses replaceable bulbs for map lights and so I took them out and replaced them with white LEDs:

Another problem I had with the Gentex was that its base stuck out past the dotted area of the windshield. The CIPA's base looks like it was made for the Yaris. Its base goes down 90 degrees just before the end of the dotted area so it's entire base fits within the dotted area:

The Gentex had its compass / temp. display on the mirror, taking up some of the mirror. The CIPA has it below the mirror. Here are other pics. of this CIPA mirror:

The CIPA mirror is as wide as the Gentex (both are wider than the stock mirror) and it's taller than the Gentex so the CIPA is the biggest mirror of the three. It also has the same harness and temperature probe that the Gentex had. Gentex / Mito and CIPA / Magna Donnelly are different companies and I was surprised to find that both mirrors (Gentex K31 and CIPA 36500) use the same harness and temperature probe. The wire pinout of the harnesses are the same as well. Finally, the most important part; the Gentex uses a gel based system for the auto-dimming function while the CIPA uses a completely solid system for the auto-dimming. The CIPA dims and un-dims faster than the Gentex.
how did you take out the bulbs ?

I can't seem to remove them
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote