Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #37
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
I'm all set for tomorrow at TMP. I think Trev is down as well.

Just a FYI for anyone interested in seeing the 2 fastest Toyota compacts on earth. ;)

Ron
Yup, breaking sound barriers ;)

I'll be there around 4ish, look for the usual blue pop up tent, feel free to toss some stuff under it.

Side note, I'd stay away from the paddock under the bleachers, I had about 4 different kids in their porshe 911's ignorantly block me in or park in a way that makes it stupid difficult to back in after a session. I'll probably be in the area behind the concrete berrier, much quieter there
Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #38
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
Will do.....sounds good. I'm going to try to be there for 4 as well. See ya tomorrow.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #39
Ronnie V

Good Fun last night at TMP. I learned a lot about my car........namely how fast it is and that it NEEDS a LSD.

After riding in Trevs car I also realized I need much stiffer spring rates.

Back out in a few weeks.........
Old 07-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #40
tmontague

yup, fun night for sure, much better when you're there with people you know than flying solo. Your car is definitely fast, it was fun chasing down STI's and getting the point by

You will definitely benefit from proper spring rates and an LSD, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get down to a 1:26 with that set up

I learned 2 things sitting in your car...my tires are heat cycled out definitively and I need to start running proper track brake pads.

Looking forward to another track day
Old 07-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #41
Ronnie V

I think on a no mistakes unimpeded lap I can get the car to a 1.26 flat the way it sits. The session before I took you for a ride I ran a 27.0 and a FRS totally slowed me down through the last 3 corners before the main straight.......I would have sworn it was a 26.6 and there were definitely a few mistakes on that lap.

If the LSD and the stiffer spring rates are good for a second and a half a lap then that should put the car mid 1.24's Totally good enough for a Echo.

If I raised it up and really set it up for the track maybe faster but it has to be slammed.......just looks so good. :)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #42
bri62

Drives: WHITE YARIS
Can you guys make it for Friday August 10? Trevor, you can check out my Carbotech xp 8 pads. I have no complaints about them except for some noise when they have heat in them. I remember the xp10 being noisier then the xp8 on the street.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
bri62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
tmontague

I will likely not be out again until 3rd or 4th Friday in August.

I've actually just ordered xp10's for the front. They will only be used to drive to and from the track plus track time and I'll have a separate set of rotors for them so I'm not worried about noise or rotor wear when cold. The HPS's will be my daily pads.

I also ordered a rotor flex hone to resurface the rotors as they are both glazed. Looking forward to some new stopping power
Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #44
Ronnie V

I can do Aug 17th or 24th as well.........

and I decided to just leave the Hawk Blues on the car.......I think stopping a 4500lb whatever on cold blues is much different than stopping a 1900lb Echo..........I bet my current combo just never wears out. :D

I will repost if my rotors disintegrate in 3 weeks. ;)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #45
bri62

Drives: WHITE YARIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
I can do Aug 17th or 24th as well.........

and I decided to just leave the Hawk Blues on the car.......I think stopping a 4500lb whatever on cold blues is much different than stopping a 1900lb Echo..........I bet my current combo just never wears out. :D

I will repost if my rotors disintegrate in 3 weeks. ;)
I will go on August 24 if you guys can make it, otherwise on Wednesday 22 August.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
bri62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #46
tmontague

Just realised that I'm away on vacation the 24th. I'll be there on the 17th with some proper track pads and hopefully a proper race seat
Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #47
Ronnie V

bri62, I think Trev and I are holding out until Sept now........I can't do Friday and as Trev said he is away the Friday after.........

Sept 7th?
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #48
tmontague

Yup I can't do this Friday anymore but the 7th would be fine
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #49
Ronnie V

bri62, looks like I will be there on Wed......a couple buddies want to go so I'm in.

White Echo HB.......say hello if you're out.

:)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #50
tmontague

I'm booked for this Friday the 7th for the evening session - post here if you plan in coming out
Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #51
Ronnie V

After going over the car on Saturday there was a very large puddle under the driver rear shock........it's leaking badly.

The coilovers I was texting you about are on order.......because of the custom spring rates I think it will be a few weeks before I'll be ready. How long did yours take to show up? and if you recall, what was the length of the rear springs?

on further inspection the front drivers side rotor is cracked badly and the caliper is pretty much ceased.........she took a bit of a beating on Thursday.......

I'll be back before the snow flies to push it into the 25's.......I'll text you when the coilovers show up.......might come on Friday with the wifes car.......I'll let you know......
Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #52
tmontague

Rears are 6" front are 8".

Tough news on your car but at least you gave it a good look over. You will enjoy the improved handling at tmp w/ your new coil overs it makes a huge difference.

Iirc mine took about just under 3 weeks to be shipped to my door and that was in the spring which is probably their busy time.

What do you think was the reason for your rotors cracking? Are yours drilled?

Hope you can make it out in the brz
Old 09-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #53
Ronnie V

Yeah, totally. They have been machined twice and the crack is directly through the center of a hole.......the Hawk Blue pads were the straw that broke the camels back........

It's ok, I have brand new Cryo treated stoptechs ready to go on and remanufactured front calipers on the way (powdercoated red to decrease stopping distance) and new braided steel brake lines........should knock all of the gremlins out of the braking system. :)

What was the deal with the Swift springs?? I recall you mentioning something about this when we were at the track........

I can't wait to try out the new setup. I can see what the new coilovers did and then over the winter do the diff........then next summer see what that does for laptimes independently of the new suspension........

Apparently my KSports are 6.7K fronts and 3.5K rears........albeit probably very tired, they are over a decade old now......

I wonder what the fastest Sub-Compact lap ever set at TMP is..........

Last edited by Ronnie V; 09-05-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #54
tmontague

Good call on the red - I hear it is good for 10hp when applied to an engine and about 10m shorter stopping when applied to brakes ;)

The Swift's are lighter and perform more consistently throughout their full range of travel than stock steel springs. They apparently ride smoother. I didn't have the extra cash so I just went with standard springs but can always update down the road. Honestly, at this point I don't see a need to put my cash toward Swift's I'd rather put it towards other things.

I'm pretty sure the sub compact record is north if a 1:20 or at least for the street legal class it would be