Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
wmgysi

Drives: yaris hatchback
Sleeping in the Yaris

I will buy a Yaris shortly but I wonder if the room in the back would allow a 6' flat length in order to lay down, if the back seats are flipped down and the front seats pushed all the way forward? Or is there another way?
wmgysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Post #23, bronsin.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...g+yaris&page=2

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...sleeping+yaris

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...sleeping+yaris
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
wmgysi

Thanks

I shall try to mount a plywood all the way to the back, removing the front seat and flipping down the back. Wonder how much lenght that gives me?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Im not sure, but Ive slept in mine several times, just the front driver seat reclined, and it was fine for me.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I'm 6'4" and slept at a diagonal in teh back of a 3DR HB. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone over 6', but its doable... I had a small camping pad to make things a lil nicer.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
wmgysi

Sleeping in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I'm 6'4" and slept at a diagonal in teh back of a 3DR HB. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone over 6', but its doable... I had a small camping pad to make things a lil nicer.
I shall try this first. Thanks for the information. I will pick up the Hatchback tomorrow. Look forward to some nice touring. If all fails I can use the tent, but sometimes it is just handy to park and rest for a night and avoid paying a camping fee. I am 5'10" and shrinking. I just joined the forum and don't know yet how to post a picture within a message so here is one from my website. http://goolymooly.ca/data/publishing/about_werner.html
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Posting pics

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11114

Based on your bio, you'd probably be great friends with our forum mountain man/environmentalist BailOut.

Welcome, and where in Canada are you?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I told my friend I was driving accross canada and somebody told me that it's illegal to sleep in my car. Anybody? Clarification?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Are there places where one can camp for free? Like a far-away grass patch by a lake or something? Summer is approaching, and I'm getting rid of everything I own except the Yaris, my gun and my computer.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
wmgysi

Canadian mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11114

Based on your bio, you'd probably be great friends with our forum mountain man/environmentalist BailOut.

Welcome, and where in Canada are you?
I am from the interior of BC near Salmon Arm. I pick up my Yaris in Nanaimo tomorrow, as the Toyota dealer there has some great prices to offer (from a rental fleet that was returned), and I need to visit over there anyways.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
TEMPLAR

Drives: 2010 Yaris, 3-dr Liftback/BLK
When I owned an ECHO, I did tons of road trips...the back seat was my bed.

Since buying my YARIS a few weeks ago...I am itching to do another road trip to head back home to Miami Beach in a few weeks. I normally sleep along I-75...thank goodness for FL rest stops...they're the best, especially with its security officers. ;)
TEMPLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
wmgysi

Sleeping in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I told my friend I was driving accross canada and somebody told me that it's illegal to sleep in my car. Anybody? Clarification?
In 1996/97 we did a road trip from Vancouver, B.C to Miami, Florida. It took us 2 month and the only time we slept in a motel once was when it got really cold. Sometimes we paid for state parks but most of the time we just parked on the side of the road or in a city on a parking lot of a 24 hour store. We got checked once by police in Florida on such a night but due to someone reporting a suspect vehicle, ours. We had to replace the front brake paths on a Dodge van we then used (with 4 children along). I was asked to step out of the car with my hands up and was searched. Once that was done one of the police men wanted to see the inside of the car. I mentioned that we were tired and could not go on driving for the night. He then wished us a nice trip and left. We actually wrote a book about our travels through the US by car and boat called A Family Of Six At Sea wich explains our adventures travelling and eventually ending up in England then France. http://goolymooly.ca/data/publishing/store_werner.html
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
wmgysi

Sleeping in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Are there places where one can camp for free? Like a far-away grass patch by a lake or something? Summer is approaching, and I'm getting rid of everything I own except the Yaris, my gun and my computer.
If you don't want to sleep in the car for whatever reason then you may want to try couchsurfing.com. I do that a lot up here in Canada and it is an excellent way to socialize with the locals. Check it out. But if you want to be just yourself then check my other response on tis thread.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #14
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Swidd, you're my hero. If my car was paid off I might try that... can always shower at the gym... such a small car to live in, but I could definitely do it for a while. You can sleep in the car at rest areas on the highway and I slept in mine at a campground the other day... If you do that on the weekends they might try and make u pay for the site, on weeknights I seem to be able to get away with sleeping there without paying for the campsite.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Yaris: the 70s VW Beetle of our time lol

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Tried it just this morning. Very uncomfortable, it sucked. Upon arriving to work @ 4:25am, took my shoes off to see if I could possibly take a short snooze with the seat fully reclined. Very uncomfortable, I put my shoes back on, walked inside to work, clicked on Yari-World and found this thread.
I guess I'm just spoiled by my Temper-Pedic bed.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
greyg00SE

Drives: '08 Yaris, '00 Miata,
This thread is only 7 years old.. I know. Just thought I'd share.

Drove from Virginia Beach to South Florida last February. I have an '08 3door with the 60/40 rear seat. I brought along my two couch cushions placed inside a zippered futon cover. It fit in the back perfectly. I work as a bicycle mechanic so I have more time than money. Decided to drive down for my granddaughter's second birthday.
I drove 8 hours, then stopped at a rest area just short of the Florida state line. I put up a couple sunshades held up with clips and zip ties.. and slept for two hours. That was all I needed. Slept with both windows cracked, so nice out. Finished the drive (about 6 more hours).. and hung out down there for a week.

I almost bought a Fiat 500. So glad I got this Yaris instead.

Last edited by greyg00SE; 10-22-2017 at 11:16 PM.
greyg00SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #18
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Seat recline pivot hack Toyota Yaris Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMarty View Post
Tried it just this morning. Very uncomfortable, it sucked. Upon arriving to work @ 4:25am, took my shoes off to see if I could possibly take a short snooze with the seat fully reclined. Very uncomfortable, I put my shoes back on, walked inside to work, clicked on Yari-World and found this thread.
I guess I'm just spoiled by my Temper-Pedic bed.
I've been driving rear-seat-delete subcompacts since before they had hatchbacks. (Like 4-total in a 57 Beetle from Penn State to Mardi-Gras on a whim...worked so well because two could sleep in the back while the drive progressed.)
Best layout was circa 1990 Subaru, because ,w/ rear seat delete, both front seatbacks spun back flat against a flat rear floor.
THAT is the hack someone needs to figure out for Toyota Yaris front seat hinge assemblies.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 10-23-2017 at 03:03 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote