Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
GibbsYaris07
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 49
Exhaust upgrade

Anyone upgraded their OEM muffler with a slightly larger one? If so what did you all noticed besides louder noise? Pics and brand will help me a lot as well. thx in advance.
__________________
The Gibbs Garage
2014 Lexus IS350 f-sport (my fun car)
2013 Lexus RX350 (wife's vehicle)

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (my commuter)
GibbsYaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner
 
Drives: Black Yaris LE HB 2008
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 223
if you want noises, replace the second cat, the resonator and the muffler by peices of pipe.. NOW this is noises LOL and way less restrictive too
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,951
What exactly do you mean by slightly larger?

Walker, Greddy, Tanabe, Megan, HKS, TRD, Borla, just to name a few are all on here. Best to search out historical threads to see experiences of members who have long since gone silent instead of relying on the relative few still active.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください
 
KCALB SIRAY's Avatar
 
Drives: black sand lb
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsYaris07 View Post
Anyone upgraded their OEM muffler with a slightly larger one? If so what did you all noticed besides louder noise? Pics and brand will help me a lot as well. thx in advance.
Blitz Nur Spec. Biggest difference I noticed over others before I purchased was the lack of "popping" and that fart can sound, which is why I went with Blitz. Has a smoother deeper tone IMO and like I said, no popping, on revs or decelerating. Didn't need to modify anything to fit either, even with an Vitz RS bumper.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
DarkShadowFox
 
DarkShadowFox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door HB
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 565
i dont know what to run from japan theres lots of options from the vitz side of things.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
__________________
Checkout My Build Thread: https://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58963
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
GibbsYaris07
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What exactly do you mean by slightly larger?

Walker, Greddy, Tanabe, Megan, HKS, TRD, Borla, just to name a few are all on here. Best to search out historical threads to see experiences of members who have long since gone silent instead of relying on the relative few still active.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
just mean a slightly larger exhaust than the tiny factory exhaust. I'm not talking fart can noise, just appearance.. I'm thinking of just adding a tip. lol
__________________
The Gibbs Garage
2014 Lexus IS350 f-sport (my fun car)
2013 Lexus RX350 (wife's vehicle)

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (my commuter)
GibbsYaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbsYaris07 View Post
just mean a slightly larger exhaust than the tiny factory exhaust. I'm not talking fart can noise, just appearance.. I'm thinking of just adding a tip. lol
Just get a tip then. Plenty of nice stainless steel ones for around $10. No need to replace exhaust unless it's worn out.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,570
This SS tip is about $10 from Walmart... and it's the perfect length!

Pilot Automotive Round Slant Resonated, 3-1/2"

Just slip it over the tiny muffler outlet pipe until it meets the muffler plate, center it, then tighten with a wrench.

Had one on my '07 and now have one on my '14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walmart exhaust tip.jpg (10.9 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by kimona; 08-30-2017 at 06:02 PM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L
 
Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKING_QC View Post
if you want noises, replace the second cat, the resonator and the muffler by peices of pipe.. NOW this is noises LOL and way less restrictive too
Look inside the resonator...its a straight pipe. Show me the restriction? The second cat can be considered a minor restriction.
__________________
-Greg...the Exhaust Freak.

-'10 PW sedan 106whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension goodies
-'82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe swap coming soon
-'84 Bonneville, 311, 200r4, 4.11 8.5 w/ spool
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,101
^this is why I just deleted my first car (only for cold start emissions) and went with a larger diameter tubing and swapped the muffler for a deeper toned less restrictive one.

The resonator is not a restriction on the 1nz, the exhaust diameter, muffler and less so the dual cats are
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
DarkShadowFox
 
DarkShadowFox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door HB
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^this is why I just deleted my first car (only for cold start emissions) and went with a larger diameter tubing and swapped the muffler for a deeper toned less restrictive one.

The resonator is not a restriction on the 1nz, the exhaust diameter, muffler and less so the dual cats are
theres dual cats?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
__________________
Checkout My Build Thread: https://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58963
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
Julio Bro!
 
Drives: 2018 Yaris sedan
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PR
Posts: 8
Has anyone removed just the OEM resonator, does sound becomes better?
Julio Bro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Bro! View Post
Has anyone removed just the OEM resonator, does sound becomes better?
Yes, but only because it had a hole in it.

Does it change the sound? Yes it does. An annoying buzz is introduced, which is why cars have resonators.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Julio Bro!
 
Drives: 2018 Yaris sedan
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PR
Posts: 8
Annoying buzz...got it; not good to remove it. Thanks.
Julio Bro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #15
Runethecursed
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Socal
Posts: 233
I chopped the resonator out and straight piped it. backfires and burbles way hard now. more shrill than fart can, but it barely passes db sound tech. I actually want a quieter one myself


BUT it is possible! and when WOT sounds mighty (for a hamster)
__________________
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #16
SirDigby
 
Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Bro! View Post
Annoying buzz...got it; not good to remove it. Thanks.
no. replace it with a higher quality one...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Julio Bro!
 
Drives: 2018 Yaris sedan
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PR
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
no. replace it with a higher quality one...
Yes, I understand the advise, but, at least, it works at filtering unwanted sound. Just as in my WRX, the OEM resonator is straight and does a good job.

For now, we'll be looking for a better performance muffler with no drone. It seems there is no specific unit for the Yaris sedan, and ours is 2018. So, we'll take measurements and see what could fit from the still available Dynomax VT mufflers around. Also, from a post here, it seems that an IMCO Turbo muffler works too.
Julio Bro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
dogsridewith
 
Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USAnotCA
Posts: 521
muffler tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
This SS tip is about $10 from Walmart... and it's the perfect length!

Pilot Automotive Round Slant Resonated, 3-1/2"

Just slip it over the tiny muffler outlet pipe until it meets the muffler plate, center it, then tighten with a wrench.

Had one on my '07 and now have one on my '14
What does it do?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Upgrade keegs Performance Modifications 1 09-10-2015 06:00 PM
***How to Choose an Exhaust System*** Hussain-Vtec Performance Modifications 16 03-16-2014 08:02 AM
NEED ENGINE CHECK LIGHT CODE LIST Attitude Forced Induction Forum 12 04-11-2011 06:38 PM
Enkei's and Dunlops + Medalion Touring Exhaust 2manywheels Items for Sale by private party 40 04-04-2011 05:01 PM
does BACK-PRESSURE increase MPG vs straight thru... marcus Fuel Economy Forum 25 05-03-2009 09:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.