Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rice View Post
I just wanted to update this thread and say the my filters arrived safely in the mail yesterday from AIRCABINMAN. Although they are a no name brand (not even labelled) they both fit perfectly in place, and after looking at my stock cabin air filter after ~2 years it was definitely due time to replace! :)

A definite 2 thumbs up to the eBay seller, especially both for $23.50 CAD shipped.
thanks for the update. i will definately look into using him.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
polar_white

Drives: Yaris Hatchback LE
here is my update,

I also bought the filters from AIRCABINMAN. Neither of my engine filter and cabin filter has been replaced since I bought the car 3 years ago. Just like white rice said, they do not have any brand name or labels on it, but their size is identical as the original toyota filters. I've also noticed that the no brand filters feel much "lighter" then the original. Perhaps the material is different?

Also, to my surprise, my cabin filter looks MUCH MUCH dirtier than the engine filter, not sure why... The engine filter didn't look so bad, but I replaced it anyway...

Last edited by polar_white; 06-06-2010 at 08:43 PM.
polar_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
It could just be in the U.S., but I saw a thread somewhere that some Yaris ship from the dealerships without an air cabin filter?

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I really should check my cabin filter. With 70,000 kl over two+ years it's likely done.

I bought a K&N air filter when the car was new. Got it on sale at AutoZone for about $40.00. I slip the still clean OEM filter in while cleaning and drying the K&N.
Also, I bought a case (10 lot) of OEM oil filters from Connecilli Toyota (through eBay). It worked out to ~$5.00 per filter mailed to home. These are ~$8.50 at Ontario stealerships.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #23
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I really should check my cabin filter. With 70,000 kl over two+ years it's likely done.

I bought a K&N air filter when the car was new. Got it on sale at AutoZone for about $40.00. I slip the still clean OEM filter in while cleaning and drying the K&N.
Also, I bought a case (10 lot) of OEM oil filters from Connecilli Toyota (through eBay). It worked out to ~$5.00 per filter mailed to home. These are ~$8.50 at Ontario stealerships.
A little late now, but be warned that the oiled engine air filters is the main cause of the the MAF meters to get dirty and fail. It's caused by the microscopic droplets of oil depositing on the hot wire inside the MAF meter causing a buildup and eventually cause it to fail.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
A little late now, but be warned that the oiled engine air filters is the main cause of the the MAF meters to get dirty and fail. It's caused by the microscopic droplets of oil depositing on the hot wire inside the MAF meter causing a buildup and eventually cause it to fail.
I'm not sure this isn't one of those internet legends type stories possibly started from a single MAF failure possibly related to a filter. K&N's require maintanence which is easy to forget/neglect as the miles roll by.

I've used oiled K&N filters in a '88 Mustang GT (75,000 kl. until stolen) and for close to 250,000 kilometers in a Turbo Talon with zero MAF issues on either vehicle. I have approx. 65,000 uneventful kl. on the one in my Yaris now.
My only definite is that I've saved hundreds of dollars by never buying replace OEM style paper intake filter elements.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I'm not sure this isn't one of those internet legends type stories possibly started from a single MAF failure possibly related to a filter. K&N's require maintanence which is easy to forget/neglect as the miles roll by.

I've used oiled K&N filters in a '88 Mustang GT (75,000 kl. until stolen) and for close to 250,000 kilometers in a Turbo Talon with zero MAF issues on either vehicle. I have approx. 65,000 uneventful kl. on the one in my Yaris now.
My only definite is that I've saved hundreds of dollars by never buying replace OEM style paper intake filter elements.
im in the same boat

used in my xrs, in my yaris and in my aveo....never had problems with oil on the MAF
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I've seen failed MAF sensors with my own two eyes. Mostly caused by OVER oiled filters, or cleaning them too much.

But no matter what air filter you use the MAF will eventually get dirty and need to be cleaned. It's just the ones that used a oiled filters that get perma-dirty because the oil builds up on the hot wire (200°F) creating a carbon "blanket" on the wire.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Makes sense I suppose but I agree that the oiled re-usable filters save a bundle of cash in the long run. It is very easy to clean the MAFS when needed with some throttle body cleaner.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote