Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
autoteachr
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Yaris 4DR
Advice Needed Install Power Locks and Windows

Hi group,
My daughter has requested that I install (as a birthday present) both power windows and power locks on her 4 DR 2007 Yaris.
Any suggestions on kits - I looked at the Colibri kit and it looks good, or should I go to the boneyard and try to find an OE setup, complete, used? The windows are just straight wiring from the factory, but the door locks are ECU controlled.
Any experience you have had would be appreciated. I'm comfortable installing and wiring anything.
Thanks in advance.
autoteachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
I too would be interested in this
except I'm a `07 Hatchback member.xD
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you do a little searching, there is some good info on here regarding the installation process. Many have used the A1electric kits (http://www.a1electric.com/) for the door locks, and they sell the Colibri window kits as well.

Going the OEM route (even with junkyard parts) would be quite expensive.

I personally prefer aftermarket keyless entry (and optionally remote start) to OEM, as the good aftermarket ones have much better range. With my UltraStart remote starter, I can start my Yaris from the opposite end of a Home Depot.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I personally prefer aftermarket keyless entry (and optionally remote start) to OEM, as the good aftermarket ones have much better range. With my UltraStart remote starter, I can start my Yaris from the opposite end of a Home Depot.
I, too considered just getting an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry

but most of them require you already have power locks >=|

for the system that you have (or any remote start for that matter) do you believe this is true?

aka x we would have to buy one of these power lock kits then get the keyless?
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrDaddy View Post
I, too considered just getting an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry

but most of them require you already have power locks >=|

for the system that you have (or any remote start for that matter) do you believe this is true?

aka x we would have to buy one of these power lock kits then get the keyless?
You can install remote start without power windows or locks. You can even install it before you get around to adding the power lock kit, and then tie in the power lock kit once installed.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Hi! I went that route; got both the Colibri kit for the locks and the A1Electric for the locks... 4 years later and everything is holding up just fine.... I also installed an alarm, and the keyless entry has never failed.

W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
chilly79

Drives: 09, 3dr, LB, Carmine Red
I just installed the power windows, locks, and keyless entry to my car in December. I used the kit from A1electric that had the power locks and keyless entry together. It works great. I used the Spall window kit which works fine too but I think the Colibri kit looks easier to install. I had to get creative with the brackets to keep it from hitting the window.
chilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power door locks, power windows