Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #37
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
I might be an outlier here but tried shell a few times since t-mobile Tuesdays had promotions for $0.25 off each gallon at shell.

I usually fill up at Costco but with shell, The torque felt about the same on my 5 speed yaris but my mpg dropped from 34mpg to 30mpg. I tried filling up at different shell stations with the same result. I can maintain about 34mpg with chevron gas but I just can't figure out why my mpg is much less with shell.

The 76 near my house produced the same results as well.
I've used nothing but Shell station gas since I purchased my car two years ago, and I've been averaging 41 MPG combined over that time period.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #38
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
I usually fill up at Costco but with shell,...my mpg dropped from 34mpg to 30mpg. I tried filling up at different shell stations with the same result. I can maintain about 34mpg with chevron gas but I just can't figure out why my mpg is much less with shell.
that's what i was getting with Murphy's. sounds like Shell is not mixed well in... where are you from? the "bay area?" is that the Chesapeake Bay? or maybe Monterey Bay? could it be Phang Nga Bay? i know there is users from Thailand. or maybe your in Prison, Guantanamo Bay?
What bay do you live in?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
I might be an outlier here but tried shell a few times since t-mobile Tuesdays had promotions for $0.25 off each gallon at shell.

I usually fill up at Costco but with shell, The torque felt about the same on my 5 speed yaris but my mpg dropped from 34mpg to 30mpg. I tried filling up at different shell stations with the same result. I can maintain about 34mpg with chevron gas but I just can't figure out why my mpg is much less with shell.

I've been using Shell since I got Dory (December last year). Before I switched wheels and tires, I was getting 43-45 mpg. After switching wheels and tires, it went down to 40-41 mpg. However, I'm not sure what Shell did, but my last tank dropped to 37 mpg. Tried Chevron (I used to use nothing but Chevron with my first Yaris), mpg was 41. I filled up with Shell again after, and I need to fill up again tomorrow, so I'll see what the calculations come out to. If it's lower than 40 mpg, then I can probably conclude that Shell did something with their formula here in the Bay Area.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #40
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
that's what i was getting with Murphy's. sounds like Shell is not mixed well in... where are you from? the "bay area?" is that the Chesapeake Bay? or maybe Monterey Bay? could it be Phang Nga Bay? i know there is users from Thailand. or maybe your in Prison, Guantanamo Bay?
What bay do you live in?
Bay Area encompasses the counties of the San Francisco Bay here in Northern California.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
Kaotic Lazagna

40.76 mpg when I filled up yesterday. First bar disappeared at 91 miles, so it's on track for the regular mpg. It could have just been a bad batch of Shell in the Bay Area.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #42
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Before I switched wheels and tires, I was getting 43-45 mpg. After switching wheels and tires, it went down to 40-41 mpg.
Is this because you went with larger/heavier wheels? 5-10% decrease seems pretty significant. But the aesthetic appeal of nice wheels definitely is worth it. :)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #43
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Is this because you went with larger/heavier wheels? 5-10% decrease seems pretty significant. But the aesthetic appeal of nice wheels definitely is worth it. :)
I think it has more to do with the fact that I replaced the factory tires...so they were dry, cracking, and had no grip. hahaha. So the new tires are grippier, so more friction, which leads to a drop of mpg. The new wheels and tires are probably only 3 lbs heavier than the 15" steelie and Goodyear combo.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #44
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
I think it has more to do with the fact that I replaced the factory tires...so they were dry, cracking, and had no grip. hahaha. So the new tires are grippier, so more friction, which leads to a drop of mpg. The new wheels and tires are probably only 3 lbs heavier than the 15" steelie and Goodyear combo.
Ah, I gotcha. So moral of the story, if you want to boost your mileage, go with old tires.

There's a Tesoro gas station near me that carries E0 89 octane gas. This thread has got me interested in testing it out.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #45
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Fuel mileage tread circumference diameter height specification.

On gen 2 Yaris, stock 15" tires roll 3.4% further than stock 14" tires. (per the nominal stock tire sizes, but not necessarily the actual tires) With same speedometer calibration, we think...but haven't confirmed. Tire comparator link on forum gives nominal height/circumference/revs-per-mile/whatever, but the actual tire models vary in height for the same size. Some specs don't give tire height. Worn tires are shorter. Good to run a string or skinny flexible tape measure around inflated tire center to know what you have and compare new vs. old, etc. And/or measure diameter.
I've given numbers for some 14" tires on other threads here.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #46
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Ah, I gotcha. So moral of the story, if you want to boost your mileage, go with old tires.

There's a Tesoro gas station near me that carries E0 89 octane gas. This thread has got me interested in testing it out.

I wouldn't waste money on middle grade octane. But give it a shot or two and see how it performs.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #47
Kaotic Lazagna

Just filled up yesterday. 45.65 mpg. Woot. haha.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:13 AM   #48
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Car manufacturers are very careful to pick tires that have very low rolling resistance to maximize the printed fuel economy and drive up their overall fleet CAFE numbers. When people buy replacement tires they're usually more concerned with high thread life, good drip in snow and rain, and overall value. If you want maximum mpg's buy tires that are labelled low rolling resistance (LLR) or eco-focused.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #49
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
Car manufacturers are very careful to pick tires that have very low rolling resistance to maximize the printed fuel economy and drive up their overall fleet CAFE numbers. When people buy replacement tires they're usually more concerned with high thread life, good drip in snow and rain, and overall value. If you want maximum mpg's buy tires that are labelled low rolling resistance (LLR) or eco-focused.
oh, I knew that. lol

The tires I chose to replace the Eagle LS on the Yaris were the General Tire Altimax RT43. It ranked 2nd best in fuel economy tests in its class according to Tire Rack's tests, and ranked 4th overall in class. It was also the only grand touring all-season tire available in 195/50/16. I didn't want to go with 205/50/16, which was the narrowest that the other tires in its class came in.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #50
iA_b4_07HB

Drives: 2017 iA
Owners manuals from Toyota now all recommend Top Tier gas. The original standard for detergency levels was based on a very very early, not very demanding, BMW injection system, and was based on the relatively short emissions compliance period in non-California (and California compliant) states. I have never noticed any difference in mileage from any gasoline except E10 vs. "just gas".

I HAVE noticed smoother operations with midgrade or premium fuel. If your engine runs on premium in Europe, the odds are it will run better on premium over here. This is because modern ECM (engine control modules) are adaptive in terms of tuning to the fuel used. I think anything with a compression ratio over 9.5 to 1 will benefit; the knock sensor will kick in later and you'll get a little more power and a smoother driver experience. Also, most premium fuels include twice the detergents of regular.

Costco and Arco are both currently Top Tier, and are the ones I try to buy, since they are cheaper. Valero certainly isn't a budget gas, but they are Top Tier these days. Kwik Serve is no longer Top Tier IIRC.
iA_b4_07HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #51
iA_b4_07HB

I'm interested in the Altimaz RT43 for light snow. If you get any experience at Tahoe or Yosemite, please report back.

Quote:
oh, I knew that. lol

The tires I chose to replace the Eagle LS on the Yaris were the General Tire Altimax RT43. It ranked 2nd best in fuel economy tests in its class according to Tire Rack's tests, and ranked 4th overall in class. It was also the only grand touring all-season tire available in 195/50/16. I didn't want to go with 205/50/16, which was the narrowest that the other tires in its class came in.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #52
iA_b4_07HB

I didn't know no real gas (not E5 or E10 ethanol blend) was available in California. How do I confirm and who else is selling non-Ethanol gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
We too use VALERO , the 91 w/o E . The 89 is E5 and the 87 E10 . The 91 is at a reasonable price for now . Not many non E or Top Tier or both for carriers in the region .
Old 09-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #53
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Octane rating numbers--which system on USA pump buttons?

USA/Canada 2007 Yaris owners manual: "Fuel Type: UNLEADED gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher."
Pump buttons are 87, 89 and 93. Unlabeled.
Octane rating numbers--which system on USA pump buttons?

"Top tier" does not appear in manual.
Is it thread drift or is their any connection...does top tier have anything to do with octane rating?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #54
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
North America uses a different method of calculating octane than Europe (and I believe the rest of the world as well). 87 here is equivalent to 91 there.

Top tier has nothing to do with octane ratings. It is a marketing term that means the fuel contains a certain amount of detergents.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote