Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
clay bar or polish?

so i have never used a clay bar before and always only polish my cars with Turtle wax hard shell.....

basically im asking if i should clay bar it or if i can get the same result from polish? i use turtle wax hard shell polish and and i have been very happy with my polish results but can i get more out of a clay bar that wax can never offer? whats the difference between the two?

Last edited by yaris2010RS; 03-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.
yaris2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i think you really should wax whether you clay bar or not. i was under the impression that a clay bar is more for cleaning the paint in a way that soap and water can't. where as wax is more for protecting the paint.

and my experience with a clay bar is it's a complete waste of time. but i know there are some people who will disagree. you are welcome to give the clay baring a try though. can't hurt. well it could i guess, if you don't do it right.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Claying is a periodical thing only. Try some baby steps and get some Liquid Clay. I typically will give a once over with the liquid clay in the spring, then just waxes for the rest of the season. With my white car, I can noticeably see a difference after the clay treatment. After doing a panel, you can really see how an untreated panel has a slight yellowish tinge.

Actual clay bars kinda scare me.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
^ Using Clay Bars Correctly = You would think its the best invention ever.

seeing how were on a Yaris forum though
and most of our Yarii..(haaa.grammatical >_<) still have fair new paint
without much contamination to our paint.
Clay Bars are for where soap and a brush cant go - and thats actually detaminating our cars paint.

with that said - Just like when your doing a GOOD Clean and a GOOD Wax - you only do it once ever 3-4 months (some people go up to only doing it twice a year. but its different for everyone. ie - if someones car is a garage queen) you should do your clay bar. claying also helps any of the wax to stick - since the surface will be 99.99% clean. claying also strips any of the previous wax without harm to your paint and etc.

also realize Polish is different that a wax. just fyi.
you would Polish / (or use a Paint Cleaner [which is also different from claying]) before you actually waxed.
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

LMFAO! can an admin please change title from clar to clay, sorry guys i was tired

a clay bar will remove all prior wax?

so wait, maybe im a bit confused, whats the difference between polish, wax and clay bar and when should u do each one (purposes of each one)
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
RawrDaddy

lmao xD
didnt even notice the title
till now. wow

in a nut shell
just always remember - waxing will ALWAYS be the last step. its always the last layer to seal/finalize/protect everything youve just done really.

everything else before that - is basically you cleaning / removing stains x dirts x contamination x swirls x minorscratches from your paint.

the steps usually go - Regular Soap Wash x Clay x Polish/(Pre-Wax)Cleaner x Wax.

Steps leading up to polishing usually remove ALL the actual dirt from the car (detailing clay). Polishing comes in to play to fix any minor imperfections of the paint (scratches.swirls.waterspots) (aka Apricot Scrub for your Car)

your paint should feel smooth and silky to the touch.
intensive claying and polishing doesnt always need to be done either
thats where a quick inspection after your regular soap comes into play.
usually only need to clay/polish about twice a year - if your waxing your car every 4 months and do quick washes once or twice a month.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
Why do you want to clay bar a Clear Coat? You never touch the paint. It is under the Clear Coat. Or am I wrong?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
The clay removes the dirt stuck on the surface of the clear coat. Polish then smooths out the now cleaned surface. Follow that with a wax and the car will look like a mirror and feel just as smooth
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Basically.......

If you use carnuba wax it can soften in the sun and trap dirt and other contaminants.
A clay bar can remove the wax and all the traped contaminants to prepare the surface for a fresh application of wax.
Most synthetic waxes such as polymers, do not have this problem.

If after washing a car, the surface feels very smooth, you probabably do not need to clay bar.
However it you can feall any hint of grit, a clay bar is in order.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Why do you want to clay bar a Clear Coat? You never touch the paint. It is under the Clear Coat. Or am I wrong?
You are reading too hard into it. The way everyone is talking is you got outside and touch your cars body. That's the paint. Yes you are technically touching clear coat but we call it paint. I think our cars are single stage paint anyways, most car paints are.

I clay my car couple times a year. Wash your car good, actually hand wash it. Brushless washes don't get all the dirt off your car and you dont want to have dirt between your clay bar and your paint. I then apply a polish, not a wax sealed. Polish is my world is an abrasive wax that polishes out slight scratches. Then I put a nice sealer wax on.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
yaris2010RS

this makes so much sense! i have been using WAX to get out scratches......lol

i have always found that after i wax my car its very smooth.....even on the 01 camry i wax it and its smooth, will clay bar make it better or is this a sign i dont need clay bar?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post

i have always found that after i wax my car its very smooth.....even on the 01 camry i wax it and its smooth, will clay bar make it better or is this a sign i dont need clay bar?
Using a clay bar will make it noticeably smoother. You will probably want to sleep on it afterwards.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
will clay bar make it better or is this a sign i dont need clay bar?
Lay out a micro-fiber cloth on a freshly clayed hood. It will not stay there. Just effortlessly slides right off.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:

With waxing you're probably pulling some dirt off, but pushing some further into the surface too.

The Yaris was the first car I used a clay bar on and I think it makes a HUGE difference. The surface is much smoother than with a good waxing alone.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The clay is a fine abrasive. It actually sands the surface of the paint (same with a polish).

Done correctly, the paint is slicker than when it was first sprayed. ....the shine is awesome!

But, if you go crazy with the clay or polish, you will eventually remove too much paint.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
But I do like the Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
Using a clay bar will make it noticeably smoother. You will probably want to sleep on it afterwards.
I am glad I came back and re-read this. I thought you said "You will probably want to sleep with it afterwards."
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
10peep

Drives: 2010 3D LB 5spd
Is using a clay bar safe on the plastic pieces too, ie. bumpers, mirror backs etc.?
10peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
RawrDaddy

^ you definitely should clay before a polish

a clay will strip of the polish anyways.def a backwards way of operating.

Clay can be used on various surfaces - buh i would def recommend diff products to be used on none "car paint".

a certain polish/certain cleaners > clay when it comes to other trims of a car to an extent.