Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
200 NA horses?

Hey guys,

I would like to eventually get around 200 horses out of the 1NZ in my Yaris, but if possible I would like to do it naturally aspirated.
I know it will be more expensive then a turbo/supercharge, but to me there's something about a N/A engine that I really love, and as far as I know nobody has made a 200 HP N/A Yaris yet, and I like to do things differently then everyone else.

So i'm wondering how and/or if it would be possible to do so with the 1NZ-FE, I know a little about cars but not enough as most of you so i'm wondering how you people might think that could be possible.

Thanks!
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
high compression motor build, ITB's, standalone management, extensive head work, custom exhaust, a few other little expensive tricks and you could get close. Maybe all the way to 200.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
There is a certain individual out there that swears his company is working on a 1nz that will be NA and put out 225, but so far it hasn't come to fruition AFAIK. I say go for it! Like my moto says, Dream Big, do Bigger! I personally would be stoked to see it. Too many folks out there think that our 1.5 doesn't have the DNA to be strong and I am thinkin with the progress made they are sadly mistaken.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
possible but it will be a massive and expensive build.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Help View Post
First you will need to start by using a stroker kit. +3 should be sufficient.

That would be a very valid point. The next question I would have is the OP looking to essentially have a larger displacement or is that a concern. For my purposes for example I cannot change the displacement otherwise it will put me into a different class and I will get my ass handed to me by other 1.6-1.8l motored cars. Not that most folks are looking to race these, but it can be a concern depending upon the situation.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

If someone went to the trouble to build this and DIDN'T race it, it would be a tragedy.

Dyno queens =
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I doubt 200whp n/a is possible from a 1nzfe
Old 04-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to eventually get around 200 horses out of the 1NZ in my Yaris, but if possible I would like to do it naturally aspirated.
I know it will be more expensive then a turbo/supercharge, but to me there's something about a N/A engine that I really love, and as far as I know nobody has made a 200 HP N/A Yaris yet, and I like to do things differently then everyone else.

So i'm wondering how and/or if it would be possible to do so with the 1NZ-FE, I know a little about cars but not enough as most of you so i'm wondering how you people might think that could be possible.

Thanks!
No doubt you could get the 1NZ there, but it will be high strung and very costly - and it will still never make big torque.

Honestly, if you want 200hp all motor, just do a swap. You could pick up the 2ZZ and 6spd for less than you will have into the 1NZ head. Those will hit 200hp with little work.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

150-160 with n/a throttle response would be awfully fun to drive, my question is where the 200 came from? Just a nice round number to shoot for?

How about a built supercharged 1NZ? - easier and more reliable with many of the same benefits of an n/a project.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I believe it can be done as well. Of course you can build for a desired number. The question is whether the OP would also be looking for reliability, longevity or any other considerations in attempting this project. More information is better, right?

So it's post #13 now -- maybe Black Griffon can share his thoughts about the discussion so far.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
I say you stick with the challenge. I enjoy hearing people say, “I doubt it can be done" People always like the easy way out. "Do an engine swap" that’s not what this is about.

Don't be so quick to write something off because you don't think it can be done. I believe you can do it. Actually mathematically it can be done, no question.

Oh I have no doubt it can be done... Its only money. I would be surprised if this could be done for less than $100 per HP once you factor in the engine build, electronics, drive-train and all the other goodies that go a long with doing a one-off build like this. And this assumes its done right the first time. This is largely uncharted territory, so don't go there if you are afraid of flushing some money to get it right - we are on version three of our head, and we are not doing anything nearly as crazy as this.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
There is a certain individual out there that swears his company is working on a 1nz that will be NA and put out 225, but so far it hasn't come to fruition AFAIK. I say go for it! Like my moto says, Dream Big, do Bigger! I personally would be stoked to see it. Too many folks out there think that our 1.5 doesn't have the DNA to be strong and I am thinkin with the progress made they are sadly mistaken.
I think anyone who thinks our little 1.5 doesn't have the right DNA has their head in the sand. Probably by choice. The engine is proven.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I don't think a stroker kit would be wise, considering the stroke is already long on our motors. Plus you are going to want to rev it high, and with a stroker motor that is defeating the purpose. It will be better to get some custom high compression pistons, and rods.... Then focus on the head. Larger valves with some radical cams, and focus on making the power up top. Shoot for a 9k Redline. All you have to do, is look up what the all motor drag cars are doing... Hondas forums wouldn't be a bad idea to get
ideas.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
I don't think a stroker kit would be wise, considering the stroke is already long on our motors. Plus you are going to want to rev it high, and with a stroker motor that is defeating the purpose. It will be better to get some custom high compression pistons, and rods.... Then focus on the head. Larger valves with some radical cams, and focus on making the power up top. Shoot for a 9k Redline. All you have to do, is look up what the all motor drag cars are doing... Hondas forums wouldn't be a bad idea to get
ideas.
Agreed.
It will have a long, low power curve, like an RX8, unlikely to be friendly below 2k, but will be fun.

There's no doubt in my mind that it could be done, but whether or not it's worth it is a personal judgement. If I wanted big power I would swap motors, no questions asked.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Blown_xa

Yes, many people don't realize that under racing conditions you will never see low rpm anyhow.... When you shift into the next gear you are already at what, 4500 rpm or so? With a raised rev limiter that number raises as well odviously. Horsepower is what gets you down the track quicker, torque is just the onset of horsepower.

Ptuning.com
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
Greater amounts of torque in the upper part of the powerband get you down a 1/4 mile quicker.
A more accurate way of saying it ;) and yes, we're agreeing to the same point.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
A more accurate way of saying it ;) and yes, we're agreeing to the same point.
Yes lol. There is a point to where it hurts, I have been to that point with an over sized turbo. I think the best power bands are the ones which hold a flat torque curve all the way to Redline, such as the f20 s2k motor and the 370z.

Ptuning.com
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Blown_xa

Quote:
Like I previously stated before you will need to stoke the motor as well to accomplish this 200-225hp goal. If you think otherwise you are mistaken.

If you need an example, just look at one of many Bisimotos N/A builds. If you need further guidance, talk to Brian Crower. Anyone that has ever done N/A racing will tell you the motor will need to be stroked. You are going for max output and on a motor of this size you will need to squeeze everything out of it.

This isn't going to be cheap and from what it looks like it appears to be a pipe dream.

Good luck to whoever pulls it off.
You seem pretty opinionated, Your ideas are right on but the construction of the 1nzfe is far from a typical modern Honda motor.

You have to realize that our 1nz fe has the same stroke as a k20 already using main caps which are not part of a girdle plus the caps are half the size. Our motors are already "stroker" motors, the bore to stroke ratio is already silly. I build motors, and have done stroker motors.... A stroker kit is really only beneficial for
a motor which is already efficient, the 1nzfe is not. If you put longer rods, that extra load on the crank ( from inreased rod movement, more leverage per say) will for sure crack the main caps if you try to rev it past 6300rpm... I for see this happening. 1nzfe is no F1 motor.

The motor is nothing but a pump to move air, stroking is one way to move more air but is not a good idea on our motor. The other way to move more air.... Spin that pump faster! Plain and simple. You want to make the 1nzfe more to the specs of a f1 or Hayabusa motor, produce air volume through efficiency with higher compression
and high lift cams... Then rev it out.

Ptuning.com

Last edited by Blown_xa; 04-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.