Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
2019 Yaris Hatchback dead in the US? The internet says yes!

no official word yet

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...on/2075236002/

https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...ime-candidates

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/to...ar-lineup-cuts
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
That would mean no compact hatches, I guess. Technically the corolla hatchback would be considered a compact, but it's pretty big.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
They only sell half a dozen of them each year, so it wouldn't surprise me. In all seriousness, though, why is the Yaris HB still around? Is it easy/cheap profits? Something else? (Note: I know nothing about the auto industry!)
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
They only sell half a dozen of them each year, so it wouldn't surprise me. In all seriousness, though, why is the Yaris HB still around?
yes strange that it still exists in the us

i hear they sell a lot overseas
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Still not updated on the website. No update on press site. Probably dead. Then again, Prius also still says 2018 on toyota.com.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
When I have my Corolla hatchback and my Yaris parked next to each other the Corolla really isn't that much larger on the outside. I hope they don't kill off the Yaris though in favor of that piece of trash Mazda scrap heap but it wouldn't surprise me...
Old 11-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #7
2008RedHatch

Drives: 2018 Yaris LE liftback, 2020
Local dealer [Elmhurst Toyota] still has a left over '18 2 door hatchback, white L trim. And it's the only new hatch in 20 mile radius. They have plenty of Mazda 2 based sedans, which seem to be bought by Uber/Lyft drivers.

However, Hertz has quite a few used 4 door hatches, 2016 and '17 years.

Corolla hatch is pretty cool I think, in XSE trim.
2008RedHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The writing has been on the wall.

Since having created an Instagram account specifically for my Yaris, I've found big clubs with separate chapters in Indonesia, clubs throughout Central America and more. I've enjoyed seeing them show the Yaris tons of love. I sometimes wonder and think about how maybe at some point in the future, we'll see a little retro resurgence of love from the Toyota community here in the US for the little Yaris; but that's probably just wishful thinking lol.

It was also interesting to see one of the articles predict the death of the 86, which I've heard before, while another felt it would probably survive.

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 11-28-2018 at 11:55 AM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
the corolla hatch is a really ugly poor excuse for a yaris replacement the car has been around for 19 years why are you going to kill off an affordable car that just needs things like what the GRMN gets into its us models why is adding more performance and stuff such a vast and bad idea to toyota so what if its faster then the corolla? its not safer then the corolla due to its size.

i dont see americas esp toyota aversion to quick performance hot hatches now all everyone drives is SUVs and crossovers and subarus and crap it gets old. were literally going to be the last of the modifiable japanese hothatches so we better go out swinging.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
Leegamer

If they made a high performance yaris in the US I am willing to bet they'd sell even fewer yarii than they do now. Can't blame them for axing it if people aren't buying it.

The cost to develop a new gen yaris would be too much when they've just developed a new corolla that will likely cover that part of the market.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
If they made a high performance yaris in the US I am willing to bet they'd sell even fewer yarii than they do now. Can't blame them for axing it if people aren't buying it.

The cost to develop a new gen yaris would be too much when they've just developed a new corolla that will likely cover that part of the market.
nobody asked for a corolla hatchback its all corolla everything its getting old toyota used to be a good company that sold interesting things now its all bland like a dishwasher i want to spend 30k but i want it to look like im driving a car that doesnt stand out.

i want to drop the price of a porsche but make a minivan thats as slow as all the other vehicles.

old people car for old peoples
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #12
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
nobody asked for a corolla hatchback its all corolla everything its getting old toyota used to be a good company that sold interesting things now its all bland like a dishwasher i want to spend 30k but i want it to look like im driving a car that doesnt stand out.

i want to drop the price of a porsche but make a minivan thats as slow as all the other vehicles.

old people car for old peoples
The sales figures for small cars are trending down as everyone wants larger vehicles now that the tech is there for midsized cars to get more palatable gas mileage. I can't say I blame people. I have 3 kids and putting them all in my yaris is a bit of a chore, especially with the youngest requiring a car seat.

The only real benefit to a small car nowadays is the price, but the cost difference between something like a yaris and a larger car like a corolla or even a subaru forester is not that huge anymore.

I personally prefer a sporty, small car...but there are plenty of good ones from the 80s or 90s that you can pick up for fairly cheap and have fun with.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
Yes its popular here in europe.
Specially here in Denmark where cars is highly taxed.
5105 sold in 2017 and 5482 in 2016.
And 4349 in the first 10 months this year.
Sorry its in danish salesnumbers.
https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
You can see 7 of the top 10 is micro and subcompact models.
It sells really well when you consider that its an old model, there will probably come a new one in 2019.
And i dont think that we will get a mazda in europe.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
Yes its popular here in europe.
Specially here in Denmark where cars is highly taxed.
5105 sold in 2017 and 5482 in 2016.
And 4349 in the first 10 months this year.
Sorry its in danish salesnumbers.
https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
You can see 7 of the top 10 is micro and subcompact models.
It sells really well when you consider that its an old model, there will probably come a new one in 2019.
And i dont think that we will get a mazda in europe.
Europe gets all the nice hatches and diesel engines, but you guys pay ridiculous gas prices, so there's a trade-off. I guess I'd rather have fewer compact cars and keep paying under 2.50 a gallon.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
The sales figures for small cars are trending down as everyone wants larger vehicles now that the tech is there for midsized cars to get more palatable gas mileage. I can't say I blame people. I have 3 kids and putting them all in my yaris is a bit of a chore, especially with the youngest requiring a car seat.

The only real benefit to a small car nowadays is the price, but the cost difference between something like a yaris and a larger car like a corolla or even a subaru forester is not that huge anymore.

I personally prefer a sporty, small car...but there are plenty of good ones from the 80s or 90s that you can pick up for fairly cheap and have fun with.
and you keep walling a performance yaris hothatch why? it would sell well seeing how ford has no RS or ST anything and given the ease of already working on the yaris putting a performance motor in it would only make it the quickest thing on the street besides a engine swapped nismo nissan micra.

i dont want to buy a 80s or 90s performance car i want my performance yaris and i want it now.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:

The trend is going toward small AWD CUV. Blame the millenials.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The trend is going toward small AWD CUV. Blame the millenials.
Certainly not a millennial. Nevertheless, as a long-time fan of all cars small, particularly hatchbacks, I made the move to (2) small SUV's more than a year ago... and I don't think I'll ever go back.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Certainly not a millennial. Nevertheless, as a long-time fan of all cars small, particularly hatchbacks, I made the move to (2) small SUV's more than a year ago... and I don't think I'll ever go back.
Assuming that's because they're bigger, offer more room, are more comfortable to get in and out of and more comfortable in general?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote