Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #55
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Interesting that on page 6 of that pdf, they mention a Fig. 16, but it isn't in their pdf.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #56
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Will this same "kit" work on my 08' Liftback with Power package?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #57
atebit

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlinsprius View Post
installed the 4 parts from OP's list (wire, stalk, screws and steering wheel lower cover with premade hole) at the dealer in 30 minutes.
was afraid to install myself because of the airbag, but it did not have to be removed or disconnected.
it was free (they like me since i bought 3 toyotas lately) and the parts were ordered online for $130.
(2010 5dr LB)
works without any problems. good deal.
Can someone explain how to do this without having to remove the airbag? It seems like you'd need to remove the airbag in order to get to the horn wire...not sure if you can get to the other connector by just removing the lower steering wheel cover cowling.
atebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #58
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Looks like the 08 models dont have the harness/wiring for the clutch switch :(

Dreams of OEM cruise crushed! :(
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #59
dbielawski

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
Interesting that on page 6 of that pdf, they mention a Fig. 16, but it isn't in their pdf.
Mine's an auto so I didn't notice Fig 16 was missing. Anyone know what DIO & POI install means on page 4? Thanks!
dbielawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #60
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
OP mentions extra parts needed for those with manual transmissions, and those without power windows. I fall into both of those categories...what else extra is needed?
Thanks!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #61
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
I took my car to my mechanic and he did this installation but now cruise control is not working.
I have an 07 auto hatchback with power windows...
I don't know what went wrong...
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #62
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soner View Post
I took my car to my mechanic and he did this installation but now cruise control is not working.
I have an 07 auto hatchback with power windows...
I don't know what went wrong...
Did it work for a while and then stop working, or did it never work after the mechanic wired it up?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #63
Soner

It never worked. I don't know why I said "but now" I should have said it's not working. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #64
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
It never worked. I don't know why I said "but now" I should have said it's not working. Sorry for the confusion.
OK - I assume that since you posted in this thread, that you went for the OEM cruise stalk method?

If that's the case, since you have an 07, it required the wiring from the ECM to the steering column, pins added to the steering column end of the clockspring, mounting of the stalk under the airbag, and connection of the stalk to the steering wheel end of the clockspring.

If it's a manual transmission, it would also have required installation of the clutch cruise control switch and wiring from it to the under-hood fuse panel.

Did your mechanic do all of the above?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #65
Soner

I went for the OEM cruise stalk method.
He didn't do any wiring. I showed him this thread and he did it that way.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #66
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I went for the OEM cruise stalk method.
He didn't do any wiring. I showed him this thread and he did it that way.
Therein lies the rub... This thread is specific to 2009+, as the wiring from the ECM to the steering column (on liftbacks) and the cruise control indicator on the cluster became standard in 2009.

Check out the following thread for more info on the differences and links to threads specific to the differences:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=faq+cruise
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #67
Soner

Thanks. I appreciate it. So, I need a "wire" from the ECM to steering column. Can you tell me where I can find this? Do I need anything else? It seems like that's all I need. Can you please confirm that before I take my car back to that shop?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #68
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it. So, I need a "wire" from the ECM to steering column. Can you tell me where I can find this? Do I need anything else? It seems like that's all I need. Can you please confirm that before I take my car back to that shop?

If your car's an AT, then that is all that you need. The part numbers for the pin for the ECM and pins for the clockspring connector are in that thread above. The easiest place to get them is from your local dealer.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #69
nmgolfer

Drives: Barcelona Red '09 Sedan
Great thread Guys... This sounds easily doable, Thanks. I'll be either ordering the OEM stalk from Sparks or visiting a junk yard tomorrow to put it in my '09 sedan. Just the thought of long drives w/o cc gives me foot cramps.
nmgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #70
nmgolfer

Drives: Barcelona Red '09 Sedan
Cruise Install Follow-up

Parts ordered (from Sparks Toyota $107.01 inc. shipping) and installed in (09' sedan with power package) literally minutes! Parts shipped the same day and arrived when the said they would. Took about a 1/2 hour working slowly and methodically. Works perfectly! and... one of the easiest things I've ever done on a vehicle.

I choose not to remove the airbag. Just temporarily strapped it to the wheel out of the way. Found a nice looking grommet in my garage and the install looks factory.

BTW... I thought I'd shop around a bit before ordering the parts online. None of our junkyards had a suitable wreck. Called the local dealer parts dept and told them what I wanted. They said they could get the parts but would have to come in and special order and they wanted more money than sparks Toyota.

The Dealer Parts guy fwd me to the service department and I told him what I was doing and asked them what they would charge to do the work. The guy was kind of rude and told me it could not be done! I said people are doing it all across the country. He said there is no kit available that I would need "actuators" in addition to switches blah blah blah. Bottom-line... don't let those guys tell you it can't be done, they don't know what they're talking about.

I found the cruise control store on-line. But they sell the parts for about twice what sparks asks. (For people who do Ebay the switch is only $30 but I can't tell if the wires are included) The Cruise control store also had a list of installers they recommend so I called the local one. He wanted $400 to install including parts. I said no thanks. If you're considering doing this yourself, I say go for it... you'll be happy you did.
nmgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #71
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Is the Power Package now known as the Convenience Package on the 2K10 hatch? D:

I've got power windows, A/C, a CD player...
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #72
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
Is the Power Package now known as the Convenience Package on the 2K10 hatch? D:

I've got power windows, A/C, a CD player...
I did this on my base 2010 3door (manual locks and windows) and found all the necessary harness wires already in place.

I imagine you would have the same.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote