Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
SmartWax: My initial thoughts

SmartWax recently had a meet/greet/learn thing on Saturday. I thought it would be cool to meet with fellow Yaris guys, and learn a thing or two.

I'm glad I went.

I'm no longer taking my car to get washed / detailed, since I don't work in that area anymore. And, I was quite disappointed with the wax job some guy I know did on my car.

The meet/greet was cool enough. People were cool, donuts were yummy, and even Starbucks coffee was supplied! Neat. Jeff and the crew at SmartWax were easy to talk to, knew their sh!t, and were an overall good bunch. I'm just disappointed they didn't offer to paint my car! Just messing.

Anyway, I was trying to kill a little time today, while working on my CRX. (Don't worry, this will be about Yaris in a min). I brought out my supplies I picked up at SmartWax and cleaned off my carbon fiber hood. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy that was. I thought to myself, "Hmm. I think I should do the tires on my Yaris", as I've been complaining to myself as to how dull they looked.

Well, I got a little carried away with the cleaning and whatnot. On to the pics, eh?

Passenger side door area. BEFORE:

BEFORE, another shot:

AFTER:

AFTER, another shot (I like this one, cuz you can see my lovely CRX - hehe):

Front tire, passenger side, BEFORE:

AFTER:

Driver side door, BEFORE (stinking neighbor using the water hose, grr):

BEFORE, another shot:

AFTER:

Driver side tire, BEFORE:

How much of the dressing I used (for half, and then same amount for other half):

AFTER:

While doing this tire, I saw the mudflap, and didn't like the way it looked. I remembered that the dressing I was using for the tires could also be applied to interior bits, plastics, etc. So, I thought, "WHY NOT?!" and had a go at it. :)

BEFORE (part of that white is the wax from that lousy job I mentioned earlier, and part reflection):

AFTER (the white is just reflection now):

and last.... my favorite shots...hehehe

I have a black hood on my Yaris. Not CF, just a stock black hood. Here's a pic so you can get an idea as to the reflective shine left behind (and yes, my t-shirt matches my car, thank you very much)

and WHOA...look at that reflective surface! ! !

Here's a TIP for you guys out there: When applying the dressing to your tires, it's a good idea to roll the vehicle back (or forward) a foot or so, that way the part of the tire that was once compressed (where it meets the ground) can NOW get your full attention (apply the dressing evenly).

Thank you all for reading.
Thank you SmartWax for the demo.

Last edited by justjesus; 05-04-2010 at 03:53 AM.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
justjesus

oops, here are the products used:

1)For exterior panels: Microfiber towel and SmartONE. It's a waterless wash, wax, and sealant in one (oh, no water was used for that job)

2)For cleaning wheels/tires: SmartCARPET (carpet spot and stain remover). This product is a citrus based solution that cleans more than just carpet! Check out in between the spokes on my wheels. The stuff worked easily enough (damn too many spokes though).

3)For tire shine: SmartDRESSING (tire and vinyl dressing). This all purpose dressing takes care of quite a bit. :) less things to buy!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
always clay bar for best results, silky smooth glass :)

I do have a problem with the before and after pics at different angles and different lighting.

Detailing is definitely a learning process im glad i learned how to do it before i got my Yaris.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
Detailing is definitely a learning process im glad i learned how to do it before i got my Yaris.
What procedure do you use to do your detailing? I just gave my Yaris a nice bath/detail last night, but all it consisted of was Carpet Cleaner/wet vac, Stoner invisible glass, and Black Magic car wash. Haven't gotten around to getting wax or a clay bar kit yet...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
we JUST GOT a small sample supply of various SMART WAX products that i will be using this weekend. good to see what it will do on a blue car......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
justjesus

hacker: yup yup. I bought the clay bar as well. Didn't use it just yet though. I was trying to get the before and after shots at the same angle, I might have actually, but deleted some pics. I was trying to beat the sundown, and also trying to get it done prior to my camera's battery dying.

Rockland: hell yeah! I love my blazing blue :)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
im happy your happy with the product result!

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm loving the SmartWax too. The SmartCarpet cleaner is amazing on wheels and tires.

REMEMBER: MICRO IMAGE club members get smartwax products, our club is sponsored.

1. You have to rock a SmartWax sticker on your car.
2. You have to bring and use SmartWax product (and only SmartWax product) at meets, shows, events, etc.

Pretty simple. Hit me up.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Drives: Yaris
Car looks good man!! Kudos!!! Wait until you clay bar it...even better.
PerfectoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Do they sell smartone at stores? or should I buy it off their website...?
http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductD...ctCode=CRW_107
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Another question... Would it be a good idea to use this product along side a clay bar? or how would you use this product? (combine it with something else or this alone?)
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
claybar with smartdetail. and you can find smartone at your local dealer or ace hardware store or u can buy online.

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Can't wait for my products to arrive soon. Looks great, Jesus
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote