Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
set in cement dust

Anyone know how to get set in cement dust off the car? They're redoing our street, and they told us to keep our doors and windows shut. What they didn't tell us was to keep our cars in the garage. My wife's scion has a layer of portland cement on it and the pressure washer won't take it off. The dust traveled through the air and at night when the dew came, it set up on her car. Everone in the neighborhood isn't too happy. The only thing I can find is that white vinegar is suppose to work. Any ideas?
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I had a similar thing happen to me. About a month ago they decided to cut out some concrete steps and re-do them. My car was completely covered in dust. I hosed it off and then gently hand-washed it with a soft mit and lots and lots of soap. The extra soap not only helps to lift off the dust, but also helps to lubricate the surface to reduce scratching. After the wash, I followed it with some ICE detailer. The car looked great.

Good luck.

EDIT: Yikes...I just read you post again. You mean that the dust got wet from the dew and set up? Wow, not sure about that one. Clay bar, maybe?
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Definitely try vinegar. Spray it on and give it some time to work on the cement before hosing it off.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Something like that happend to me years ago when i had my 240sx. They paved the entire neighborhood but didnt block any of it off. I wake up late and get in my car as im driving im hearing this rattling sound of all the gravel bouncing around. I go to where im going when i get home i see tar stuck all over the fenders and hardend asfalt stuck inbetween the tire tread. Took me forever with a screwdriver picking it out. I sent a letter to the city saying because they did not mark off the streets or give proper notice that i demand to have my car professionally cleaned. They sent me a check for 150 dollars to cover the cost of a shop to clean the exterior.

Id go down to your local city hall and file a formal complaint. In the mean time seek the help of a professional detail shop. They will know better than anyone how to safely clean the paint.

More than likely a high speed polisher with the correct compound can buff out any contamination on the paint.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
centrysis

I tried washing it with hot water and dawn dish soap. I used a soft mitt and went over it about five times. The soap sat on the car for about ten minutes. It took it off as far as I could tell, but I could see a light layer on the glass. I clay barred it and its gone. The glass spots came off easily with industrial glass cleaner. I put three coats of wax on it and my wifes happy again. My next step would of been to try the vinegar if the dawn wouldnt have worked.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Glad you got it sorted, sounds like a nightmare!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
centrysis

A little update. I never thought to ask the cement kiln that our company ships fuel to. I completely forgot, until they called me to schedule trucks. The lady said she has to clean this dust off her car once a week or every other week. She said she uses undiluted white vinegar. She's been doing this for years she said. Just spray it on and let it set a few minutes. I'll never doubt you again CTScott.