Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by makelikemorning
Hey Chris... I went out and bought the Turtle Wax Ice on your recommendation. That stuff is fantastic! My Yaris went from looking new to looking like it belongs in a Toyota ad in thirty minutes. One question, though: Should I apply it twice a year like a traditional wax or more often?
Welcome.. I strip the car down once a month with dish soap, to remove all wax, then if needed, clay the car, then wash, dry, and followed with the TW ICE.

With the car being as small as it is, it really isn't that time consuming if you know what you're doing.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Washed and wax the sedan today. Luckily it didn't have much dirt or bug build up on it after driving it for two weeks. Looks great!! I used some mothers california gold wax that I already had but I bought some applicator pads and a good microfiber cloth. Didn't want to waste a good bottle of wax but the next wax I will try the Ice.

For those of you with the steel rims with caps. Do you wax the caps too?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
I wash it at least once a week.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #22
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
The Turtle Wax Ice says to coat the entire car before wiping it off.

You don't work in sections?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Of course work in sections. Makes life a lot easier... I believe the bottle also says allow 5 minutes for the wax to dry before buffing off, and if you can wax a car in 5 minutes than more power to you, but I know I can't.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #24
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
The Turtle Wax Ice says to coat the entire car before wiping it off.

You don't work in sections?

Nope! You spread the whole car with it, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then work it in. It won't dry up. You'll work it in with your microfiber towel.
When you're done, it'll like fucking mirrors!!!

Such a great product.

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #25
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Ignore my post,

Chino is correct!!
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #26
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Me, I wax the ENTIRE car first.

By the time I am finished, I start removing from where I first started.

If you let it sit a little longer, then do like I said above, the results are even BETTER!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #27
ChinoCharles
Banned

Oh no Chris, you just exploded my tiny little world.

I'll give it a shot!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #28
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
consumerreports

July 2006
Car wax
Quality shine for less

RUBDOWN Selecting a wax should depend on the condition of your finish and the effort you want to expend.In our test of car waxes, we found that pricier ones favored by enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32 ranked no better than the middle of the pack.

We also found that any wax good enough to provide some protection still requires a dose of good old-fashioned hard work. Easy-to-use spray-on, wipe-off products may save time and work, but they fared worst in our durability tests and were least effective at cleaning. Liquid and paste waxes did better as a group, but they required more effort to apply and remove.

With the advent of the clear coat, the transparent protective top layer of paint that has been used on new cars for the past few decades, you aren’t likely to improve the shine on any new vehicle. But over time, sunlight, acid rain, road debris, and other environmental factors take their toll on a vehicle’s finish. Regular washing is the most important aspect of paint care, but the added protection of wax can also help.

Many newer waxes and polishes are made of synthetic ingredients, but some are still formulated with natural waxes such as Carnauba, as they have been for *generations. The synthetic waxes in this test, however, are most likely quite different from the ones in our May 2000 test. Since then, manufacturers have reformulated their products, reducing levels of volatile organic compounds to meet California Air Resources Board regulations.

trade-offs with waxes

When we tested 28 products, including 16 liquid waxes, 5 pastes, and 7 of the spray-on, wipe-off variety, we found that liquid waxes provide the best cleaning and protection. But contrary to conventional wisdom, in our tests they required more effort than paste waxes to apply and remove. As a group, liquids were the hardest to apply evenly, and they took the most work to buff out. In addition, some left a powdery residue that had to be wiped off. Even the top-rated Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And our other best all-around choice, Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Paste waxes were once the most common type of wax; now they are the least. They also were once the hardest to apply, but new formulations are easier to spread. Pastes often come with a reusable applicator to spread the wax, a convenience that makes it easier to apply the wax neatly and keep it off glass or plastic surfaces. But some of those applicators must be moistened before use.

Spray-on, wipe-off products are the newest development in car wax. Convenience and time savings are their strong suits. Some can even be applied to a car still wet from washing. But convenience comes at a cost, since this group fared worst in our durability tests.

how to choose

All waxes require elbow grease, patience, and time. Depending on how fast you work, how thorough you are, the size of your vehicle, and the product you choose, expect to spend at least an hour to do a decent job. Match the car wax to your car-care needs to see which type of product best suits your needs.

Consider the age of your car. If It’s one or two years old or still has a good finish, an easy spray wax might be all you need. But keep in mind that these products wear out the fastest. No wax will improve the shine on a newer car. But if you don’t plan to replace your car for a while, waxing will help preserve the finish over time.

If you have an older car, or one whose finish has already begun to oxidize or has embedded grime, you may want to consider a product that scored high for cleaning to help bring back and maintain the finish. Liquid waxes proved the best in cleaning.

Watch out for abrasion. Waxes can be abrasive, some more than others, and the tiny particles in car waxes or harsh chemicals can leave fine scratches or a haze on your car’s finish.

Dark-colored vehicles show scratches more easily than lighter-colored ones. If you own a black or dark-colored vehicle, be especially wary of products that scored low in our scratching and hazing tests.

The same abrasiveness can make clear-coated surfaces look hazy or cloudy when the finish is marred by fine scratches, giving the paint a duller look than before waxing. Most wax packaging indicates whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.

Consider how much plastic is on your car. Some waxes can leave a visible residue on nonglossy, porous plastic parts such as bumpers, plastic body panels, and door trim. Those parts are often black or gray, and some newer cars may have a lot of them. If that sounds like your car, choose a product that scored well in our compatibility-with-plastic tests. Once wax gets on those surfaces, it may be necessary to use a commercially available plastic cleaner to get rid of it.

If saving time and effort is your priority and your car’s paint is in excellent condition, a spray-on, wipe-off product may be your best bet. Spray-on waxes can also be used for a quick touch-up between conventional waxings. These waxes don’t clean as well as or last as long as liquids or pastes, but that’s not an issue if you wax often. And the more often you wax, the more you’ll appreciate their ease of application.

With any wax you choose, we recommend you first try using it on an inconspicuous area such as a doorjamb. And regardless of how hard you work, how much you spend, or what longevity claims manufacturers make, don’t expect any wax to last all that long. All of the products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks.

Washing and waxing your car

Before waxing, thoroughly wash and dry the car.
Never wash or wax a car in direct sunlight or if the paint is hot to the touch. The sun can soften the paint and make it more susceptible to scratching.
Use a lamb’s-wool mitt for washing and soft cotton rags or microfiber towels for waxing. Do not use rags for washing; they can trap dirt and scratch the finish. Synthetic fabrics and brushes can also scratch a car’s finish.
Wash and wax in small sections. This saves time and if the wax stays on too long, it can be difficult to remove.
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #29
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Someone here posted a statemant that the cars are released to the public WITH NO WAX? is this true?
-Peter
Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #30
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq421
Someone here posted a statemant that the cars are released to the public WITH NO WAX? is this true?
-Peter
Depends on the dealership and quality of service.

I signed the paperwork on a Thursday. The dealership searched the datatbase for an RS with all the options and color I wanted. They picked up my car and drove it from a Toronto dealership to my local dealership here on a Friday. But the trip picked up a few bugs and road grime and the car still had the protective film on it. After work we drove by and saw our car and stopped to take a look (first white Yaris we had seen) They let my wife and I test drive it before the shop closed for the night.
I picked it up the following day (Saturday) all washed, waxed, tire shine, carpets cleaned, plates and full tank of fuel and less then 200km on the speedo.
Brand new car, spotless and only a 2 day wait.
Already WAXED
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

tomjasz, that is a great post but how did they rank the waxes? We need the GOODS!

And while I'm on this thread, I will say I've used Turtle Wax ICE a few times in a row now to build up a few coats before winter and I can't say enough about it. Just rub your finger on your paint and you'll know its the sheezy. Nothing sticks anymore.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 AM   #32
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Zaino Bro is still the best i've found/used

not a wax, and not cheap but worth every penny
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #33
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daq421
-Peter
Correct. Some may be confused (tricked) into thinking their showroom fresh, baby smooth paint has been waxed for them already by the dealership... keep dreamin'!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #34
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
tomjasz, that is a great post but how did they rank the waxes? We need the GOODS!

And while I'm on this thread, I will say I've used Turtle Wax ICE a few times in a row now to build up a few coats before winter and I can't say enough about it. Just rub your finger on your paint and you'll know its the sheezy. Nothing sticks anymore.
Ice was not reviewed but all the other spray types were downgraded. I used and continue to use their best buy:

Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 CR Best Buy
$7 84. 16 $0.44
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 CR Best Buy
7 84. 16 0.44

If your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning; both are CR Best Buys:
1 Black Magic $7
2 Turtle Wax $7

Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests. But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
22 Eagle One $6

It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #35
ChinoCharles
Banned

Thanks man!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #36
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
How is the wax in those pressure wash stations?

I live an apartment, so I don't have anywhere I can wash/wax my car at home...

Would you recommend using the spray washes, and bring my own dry towel/wax and wax it off to the side before I leave?

The spray wax probably isn't all that great I'm assuming.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote