Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Talking Toyotas Dominating Downtown L.A. !!!

I just got back from a week-long trip out to downtown LA. Being the car fanatic that I am, I did a lot of car watching while walking around (which was basically my whole trip), and lemme tell ya, Toyota is kickin' ass and takin' names down there. I saw many a Yaris sedan, and maybe 4 liftbacks. The new Camry was frikkin' EVERYWHERE. I'm not joking! If I looked up the street, there was a new Camry. If I turned the corner, there was a new Camry. At a traffic light, I'd be passed by 2 new Camrys. Very, very, popular.

The only other car brand that gave them any competition was BMW. Couldn't tell ya which ones... they all look the same to me, but they were all over the place. Chevrolet seemed to have the weakest statistical standing.

Another interesting note was the color choices out on the street. Silver was the overwhelming color of choice, followed immediately by black, with navy blue coming in 3rd. Very few white or red, and practically none of any other color.

BTW, if anyone's considering downtown LA for vacation, don't waste your time. That place is so dead the burger joints lock up at 5 in the afternoon, and don't open at all on the weekends! Nearly starved to death after dark.

(My wife was there on business, I was just along to keep her out of trouble! )

~YR
Old 05-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Aren't the Prius' (Pri'i) popular in Southern California? That's what I hear... Anyway, the new Camry is a sweet ride. Does anyone else think the Camry and Yaris sedan look alike, except for size of course?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Up north the Prius is SUPER popular where I live. I see 50+ a day, no joke. I also see a lot of the new Camry hybrid and non-hybrid. About 3 months after I got my Yaris a gal I work with picked up a brand new Camry. There are at least 15-20 Yaris sedans, but alas only 2 liftbacks, and mine was first. I've only seen the other LB 3 times in almost a year
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Crap! How could I forget the Prius!? Yeah, they were common also, but the Camry was much, much more common. And yes, I think the Yaris sedan looks VERY much like the Camry. I really wish the liftback had the sedan front end.

~YR
Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I see at least 10 Priuses a day, but countless Camrys in Richmond. Very few Yarii.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
nothin but American car in this part.... you have to watch who you mention that you drive an import to around here, many families in this area are supported in some way by the old big 3 (GM, Ford & Chrysler) I live in the home of Jeep and there are probibly 50 if not more Assembly, powertrain or stamping plants from my house... even though imports are showing a bit more of a presence here in this part, people in these parts have there loyalties... and I am glad for that, long as people keep buying american cars they will keep breaking more often and I will keep fixin them :) job security
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
people in these parts have there loyalties... and I am glad for that, long as people keep buying american cars they will keep breaking more often and I will keep fixin them :) job security
Same for me and Windows PCs. As long as they keep making windows and people keep buying it, job security! P.S.-I'm not a mac guy
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
YarisRunner

Drives: TBD...gotta buy it first
The "smile" states (East and West Coast) are more accepted of imports, particularly Toyota. The southern and mid-west is a different story. Texas is truck country.
YarisRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
gaffo

Drives: integra
SO TRUE!!

Texas AND Oklahoma!!.............freakin TRUCKS EVERYWHERE!!

I did a "car count" on I-35 six months ago. Of the 100 cars, 70 were PICKUP TRUCKS!

- didn't count the millions of 18 wheelers that now clog the interstate and present a public hazzard.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote