Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #91
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
If you're having a heater odor that may very well be an issue with the drain for the a/c.-water building up in the housing. The odor that effected my yaris only occured after the a/c had been on or in use and the car was parked for awhile-the heater never had an odor. The evap. replacement did cure the a/c odor, though. Try and keep the air intake on fresh air coming in-and if it has a filter installed they should check it to make sure it's not the reason for the foul smell.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #92
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Rot View Post
Brought it to the dealer today with the TSB. They agreed it had an odor problem as they smelled it. They said my 2009 is not covered because this model had the odor problem corrected.

So I asked them and important question:

Why does it still stink?

They offered to drain something and run some chemical in the system to clean it out? Well I said go ahead and I'll bring it back if it still stinks. I'll pick it up later today and update this later on.

Yeah, my '09 definitely stinks with the AC on recirc... have to get it checked out... don't even have 4000 miles on it...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #93
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
I brought my '07 Yaris in today for the odor fix (TSB 0103-09). They took my whole dash apart, took out the old parts, and then discovered when they tried to hook up the new stuff that there was a part (a valve, I think they said?) that they didn't have! So they had to put it all back together, and now they're calling around the country to find the missing part. Apparently it was NOT listed as a required component in the service bulletin.

So now I have to waste ANOTHER full day of my life getting this fixed again next week.
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #94
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
What are they charging you to do the work?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #95
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
It should be totally free if you are still in the warranty period. Mine was.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #96
Maxh91

Drives: Red 3 Dr HB 2008 Auto.
If you are an Canadian, the TSB is valid. I have an appointment tomorrow. The only problem: they must find a specific odour to repair...

EDIT: USA only

Last edited by Maxh91; 12-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Maxh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #97
adamschneider

Three weeks later, and they finally got my missing part. I'm at the Toyota dealership waiting for it right now; it's an all-day job. (It's 2:00 PM now, and I brought it in at 8:30 AM.) My understanding is that I won't be charged anything.

Edit: 4 PM, still waiting.

Last edited by adamschneider; 12-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #98
UTVitz

I was lucky enough to have another vehicle to drive, but the dealer had my car two days before the work was completed. I did tell them to not rush it as I really hated having the dash taken apart and was worried about dash rattles. So far three months later everything seems well screwed together again. So glad I had it done-I really thought the musty smell after using the a/c was something I had to live with-nope.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #99
adamschneider

I finally got out of there at 6:00, as the dealership was closing... and found that they put my console back together wrong!!!! They switched around the heat and blower controls, and now neither one feels exactly right. The whole thing doesn't look flush either. I am so pissed off.

I guess I should have let them keep it and "not rush it." God damn it.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #100
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I called the dealer last week to ask about the odor from the AC. From the quick reply they gave over the phone I could tell this was a frequent problem with them.
I didn't mention the TSB (I am not in the US) but all they suggested is to take an appointment (earliest available is after mid January) and they would clean the AC with some chemical. It would take more than 3 hours to finish and would cost me 75 USD. what a rip off.

I will call them back later this week ans ask why this is not covered by warranty. I mean the car is still under warranty and the AC is not functioning properly right?

I bought an air system cleaning can. it comes with long tube. i used the tube and sprayed the inside of the AC for 5 to 6 seconds. I haven't used the AC since then, but the car smells extremely clean and fresh that it some times gives me and my wife a headache.
unclenefeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #101
UTVitz

Have the dealer run your VIN to see if it falls under the TSB for a/c evap. replacement. The musty smell comes from the metals used to make the evap. core-it's defective. But once you run out of warranty you're out of luck to get toyota to cover it-and it's not a safety item, hence no recall on this problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #102
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Not a safety problem? Is it healthy to breath in these gases, especially if the A/C gas starts leaking?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #103
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I like how they always start every TSB "some customers may experience" when in actuality usually all customers experience the problem but have not complained about it yet or are just afraid to bring their car into the dealer cause they are past the warrenty period.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #104
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The AC refrigerant gas is the same stuff used to propel the medical inhalants people with asthma and COPD use. The FDA says they're safe, in the small quantities they use. If you have a big enough leak to be breathing much of the gas, your AC's going to quit working shortly.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM   #105
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenefeesa View Post
I called the dealer last week to ask about the odor from the AC. From the quick reply they gave over the phone I could tell this was a frequent problem with them.
I didn't mention the TSB (I am not in the US) but all they suggested is to take an appointment (earliest available is after mid January) and they would clean the AC with some chemical. It would take more than 3 hours to finish and would cost me 75 USD. what a rip off.

I will call them back later this week ans ask why this is not covered by warranty. I mean the car is still under warranty and the AC is not functioning properly right?

I bought an air system cleaning can. it comes with long tube. i used the tube and sprayed the inside of the AC for 5 to 6 seconds. I haven't used the AC since then, but the car smells extremely clean and fresh that it some times gives me and my wife a headache.
Well, the air system cleaning can certainly gave my car a clean fresh smell but it didn't solve the problem. The smell comes on as soon as I turn the fan on (both on hot and cold).
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #106
unclenefeesa
Da Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Have the dealer run your VIN to see if it falls under the TSB for a/c evap. replacement. The musty smell comes from the metals used to make the evap. core-it's defective. But once you run out of warranty you're out of luck to get toyota to cover it-and it's not a safety item, hence no recall on this problem.
I don't live in USA. the TSB we have says US Market only. the Dealer doesn't have to honor this TSB, unless I can find a TSB that does not say US Only.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #107
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Has anyone attempted to do this repair themselves? The reason I ask is i called the local dealership and because my car is JUST out of the warranty they would not cover it, not to mention the whole "we have to test to find out if thats the problem" routine. I know what the problem is and hate going to the dealership at all especially multiple times because of stupid requirements. I guess I would need to know what all the correct parts #'s are so I could have everything ahead of time.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #108
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
Has anyone attempted to do this repair themselves? The reason I ask is i called the local dealership and because my car is JUST out of the warranty they would not cover it, not to mention the whole "we have to test to find out if thats the problem" routine. I know what the problem is and hate going to the dealership at all especially multiple times because of stupid requirements. I guess I would need to know what all the correct parts #'s are so I could have everything ahead of time.
I have pulled Crashy's AC system apart for curiosity sake. Replacing the affected parts requires taking the entire dash apart and removing the airbox assembly to get at the condenser. It is quite doable, but takes a bit of time. The nice thing about doing it yourself is that you'll be more careful not to scratch up the dash parts on your own car.

As for the parts required, if you look at the pdf of the TSB (which is posted), it lists the parts that get replaced.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote