Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Thumbs up SUCCESS! DRL Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Thanks for the idea zuberio -- nice work!

I recently installed an HID kit but now missing the DRLs since I had to disconnect the relay underneath the dash. I'd like to get the DRLs back therefore I plan to do this relay DIY to my hatchback, but the difference is I just want to use the existing parking lights inside the headlights as the DRL lights (see pic below).

I'm going to be replacing the bulbs with the brightest/white 194's LED that I can find to make them more visible in daytime.

I've searched the forums but had difficulties finding the info... Do you have a link where I can find the hatchback headlights wiring diagram so I can splice the hi/lo signal source to the relay?

thanks!

-toy

Success

I didn't know that the sedan and hatch shared almost the same wiring. I went and checked the same fusebox and managed to splice the same wires to make the bulbs I wanted to use as DRLs work (i.e. parking/city lights inside headlights).

There's a slight difference though compared to which BAT wire zuberio used. I ended up tapping the brown wire (85) since it's the only one that switched LO (86) to 12V to energize the relay coil whenever I switched the headlights on.

Now I have my DRLs back! Now I just need to find the brightest LEDs to swap the bulbs with.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Well, the LED swap didn't make the lighting any brighter so I added a pair of dedicated DRLs and mounted them between the lower grill.

This pretty much concludes my quest for DRL (for now, haha).

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #21
ladyKay

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
That just looks awesome, a job well done! I need to do that for mine too, only I have no idea. Probably really pricey to have someone else to do it for me...
ladyKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drl, headlights, led, relays, wiring