Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #1
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Just a random encounter

Two weeks ago, while en route to my girlfriend, and having her sister on the passenger seat (about 85km trip) I randomly encountered a wild TS with Bulgarian plates, matte gray colour and a weird whole rear window sticker that looked like a reflection... Weird to describe, really, but vids will be up soon.
It was the first time after my rear wing install I went over 190km/h and reached a lot more than without the wing. Max GPS speed with my stock 1.3L Yaris (with only a K&N filter in stock airbox) was....... -drum roll please-.... 217km/h! Also first time I've seen my speedometer needle go further than the 200km/h mark. (I gave my gf's sister my phone to record this but only caught a glimpse of a second of the instrument cluster from a video total of 3 secs, which I'll slow down for you to see).
There's around 10 mins more of me trying to catch up to that wild TS, along with another madman with a Land Cruiser (he had Bulgarian plates too) racing with us as well.
Ultimately when the TS was tired of seeing me on the rearview mirror let me pass him and when we got next to each other we greeted with the thumbs up of approval, which was the best part of the whole chase, we felt like brothers for a moment there, and was really surprised I was able to follow him closely at top speed and never being left over 30-40m behind.
On the other hand, when I firstly passed the TS and was "casually cruising" at 200+km/h that madman with the Land Cruiser was closing up with anger, probably charging at 240 (he was around 25), caught up to me, slowed down a bit in order to pass me slowly and I tried to play it cool, so I had one hand on the wheel and with my other hand I was taking a sip of my Frappé.

I'll update my post when my videos go up on youtube. I'll edit the most boring parts out. Unfortunately, the weather being too sunny, you can't see the road AND the speedo at the same time, but there are moments when my passenger tried to film a close up of us accelerating.

*IF YOU'RE READING THIS, KIND BULGARIAN MATE, I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE BEST CRUISE FROM SERRES TO THESSALONIKI*

Until we meet again......

PS: The chase lasted for around 45km. Serres-Thessaloniki (85km trip) in appx.35mins
Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
These encounters can be cool when other people are friendly.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

I agree, it's really redeeming when the other driver gets you and has fun along with you
Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Wing suppresses recirculation & vortex street, improves stability & reduces drag?

I'd like to see a photo of the wing and it's support struts w/ enough of the car to show position/angle.
Thanks.
(Toyota Yaris wing suppresses recirculation & vortex street, improves stability & reduces drag?)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 05-30-2018 at 02:41 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Christmas Gift Thread
Here's the thread I had posted it in. At first I thought it added drag, but it turned out it was because of the right screw not gripping the hole. I added nuts to both screws and now it seems a lot better.