Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #559
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I will definitely keep my ears open for you Andres.

I am trying to plan a trip to Lincoln Nationals. I can't promise anything because i got alot of stuff going on that month already.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #560
kwkshft

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3drHB
Send a message via Yahoo to kwkshft
Thinking of doing more autocrosses this year than I usually do (once or twice a year) so buying a good set of tires. I've got a spare set of wheels- 15X7 RPF1s. Looking at 195/50 Hankooks or 205/50 Rivals, Dunlops even Bridgestones. Would appreciate any feedback on these. Thanks.

Last edited by kwkshft; 03-17-2015 at 08:35 PM.
kwkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #561
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I ran 205/50 Rivals on 15x7's the last 2 seasons. I don't have anything to compare them against, but they seemed to work well. I found that I had to keep the fronts near max pressure (52 psi) to keep them from rolling under, but it could also be that I'm over driving the corners and using tire pressure to fight understeer.

I'm leaning towards the Proxes R1Rs in the magic 195/50R15 size, but haven't decided for sure. The AutoX season starts a little later up here, so I've still got some time.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #562
ilikerice

I am running 205 on 7.5" rim, my fronts are at 34psi and probably can drop the pressure just a bit more. I am not rolling on my tires. Cranky, maybe you should try a 195 tire on the 7" rim to give it a bit more stretch.

I only have experience with RS3 and Rivals. I feel the RS3 is more grippy in long sweepers but the Rivals respond much better in slaloms. After talking to some guys at nationals. In the end, it all boils down to driver preference. Unfortunatly in order to get the right tire for your driving technique, its a matter of "trial and error" for each tire. I can explain how each tire works in difference circumstances, but until you actually get in those situations, its all the same.

Put it this way. Everyone in my class at nationals was driving Dunlops and Hankooks, I was the only one on BFGoodrich. I felt that I was at a disadvantage but I ended up taking 1st place. I feel tires just boils down to driver capabilities.

BTW Cranky, R1R doesnt have the pixy dust in them anymore unfortuantly from what people are saying
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #563
CrankyOldMan

Well crap. My only real complaint about the Rivals was the tread overlap separation. I'm going back through my list of wheels and I don't think I have a 7.5--only 5.5, 6 and 6.5. The Rivals don't come in 195, so maybe something else is in order?

I think the only "pixie dust" was that the tread compound was sticky all the way to the cords, so you could shave them and still have the equivalent of fresh compound. I don't shave them, but I will run them to the cords before tossing them.

The other consideration for me is that I'm firmly entrenched in SMF, so sky's the limit on treadwear. Of course nobody makes R-comps in 195, but I can dream, right?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #564
ilikerice

Give it time. There was much frustration with tire choices before the National tour and many guys were holding out til late april when new tires and sizes will be available.

Another thing I learned about tires that will either help you or make you more frustrated. It is better to have a slightly stretched street tire on a rim to help with tire response.
NOW, this is the opposite for R-comp Tires though. R-comps have much stiffer side walls and they say it is better to pinch a tire on a rim for the max amount of grip. Next time if you get a chance to look at some National event pictures, look at the tires. You will notice that R-Comps are pinched and street tires are slightly stretched.

So I would go with a 225 R-comp if you end up going that route.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #565
CrankyOldMan

Correction--I've got a set of 15x7s, but the cost of R-comps is about double my tire budget. I'm not going to be running in national events, so a set of 140-200 treadwear is fine for my purposes.

Thanks for all your shared wisdom!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #566
ilikerice

I don't blame ya.. Rcomps are so expensive. And I can't justify R-comps with out a limited slip diff. Im already getting inside wheel spin on street tires and barely stock motor.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #567
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I don't blame ya.. Rcomps are so expensive. And I can't justify R-comps with out a limited slip diff. Im already getting inside wheel spin on street tires and barely stock motor.
Even with the LSD, I get lots of inside wheel spin with my winter tires. That could be part of the nature of a helical diff, or the 130-ish whp I'm pushing out. Hopefully a new set of summer tires will fix the wheel spin on my daily commute.

The one AutoX event I did last fall on my nearly-dead Rivals still had inside wheel spin on sharp cornering, but sweepers would hook just fine and pull hard through the apex. I've got new Tokico Reds and a fresh set of MI springs this year, so that may allow more control of tire contact in the corners.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #568
ilikerice

Hmm. interesting, thanks for the info on the Helical diff experience.

I agree with you about where the wheel spin is happening. I noticed in my videos that that is where most of my wheel spin is coming from.

I just got all my video's on one computer now and I started trimming them up. I just gotta edit them now. I will have it up hopefully either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #569
andres3165

Drives: Yaris to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo_mty View Post
I need better vinyl work and photoshop help
Looks good to me

Andres
andres3165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #570
ilikerice

So I been looking for new suspension and a friend linked this to me... I may have to invest in this...

When I first saw it and scrolled down to the list for makes and models, I thought, great, something else that everyone else gets except Yaris. I went ahead and looked for Toyota's list expecting to see Supra and GT86 of course... Damn, I was soo wrong

http://www.motioncontrolsuspension.c...ts/prices.html
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #571
CrankyOldMan

Are remote reservoir suspension setups allowed in STF? I can't put my finger on the specific rule, but I seem to recall a prohibition on them for vehicles that don't come from the factory with them.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #572
ilikerice

I would have to look it up. You could be correct, but anything 1 way adjustable is better than the 5 year old megans I have now. I'd get the non-remote anyways. I am not that lazy, gez
Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #573
ilikerice

Here is my video finally. It is a bit long but its in chronological order from Test N Tune on Friday to the Final run on Sunday. Time results are at the end of each run. Hope you enjoy it. No music this time, figured some of the autocross guys wanted to hear the tires and throttle control. Any questions and explanations requested are welcome. Feel free to judge also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbY...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #574
ilikerice

Finally ordered my matching gauges. I need the oil filter sandwich adapter for my oil pressure sensor.
2 part questions. Is there a better/easier spot to get an oil pressure sensor?

If I do get that sandwich adapter, which one?
-3/4 UNF-16 - Fits Mazda with spin on conversion, some Nissans, VW, Ford, BMW, Scion, SRT-4, SR20, Toyota & Jeep
-3/4 UNF-16-Long Shaft- Fits Toyota Celica, Scion Tc, & MR2

Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #575
BondXII

Drives: 09 Yaris, 08 X-Runner
I've been using this one successfully so far. And you know how "nice" I am to the car. ;-)

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...-34unf-16.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BondXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #576
ilikerice

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one from Prosport, same place as I got my gauges. I went with the regular one. I believe its the same as yours except mine has 3 connections instead of 2. May use the 3rd one for oil temp sensor later on