Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
differences!!

Besides the info I see here, I have searched and found something that peeves me. I went for example to the toyota site in portugal, and see they have much more accessories to get from the dealer compared to here in Canada. I inquired at a dealership here and even if I get the toyota part #, I still could not get what I would want. I find it stupid that Toyota obviously puts the dash in the middle for many markets, yet limit the selection of goodies by market too. Maybe just an observation, mainly a beef.

Uy
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I think it sucks too...

cuz in australia the YRX Sportivo Bodykit is only availible to YRX models in australia i believe. Thats if someone damages their kit.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
uncleyaris

I wish I ahd family all over the world to ship parts, lol

uy
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
yup have an angelina jolie rainbow family....use them for toyota parts lol nice idea
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
palsan

Drives: yaris 3 dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
I went for example to the toyota site in portugal, and see they have much more accessories to get from the dealer compared to here in Canada. I inquired at a dealership here and even if I get the toyota part #, I still could not get what I would want. I find it stupid that Toyota obviously puts the dash in the middle for many markets, yet limit the selection of goodies by market too. Maybe just an observation, mainly a beef.

Uy
I think the issue is that in North America the Yaris is at the bottom of the heap as far as vehicles go - i.e. it is marketed mostly to entry level buyers. The majority of these people do not have the money (or are not interested - me) to accessorize the car. Therefore, there is a tiny market for the parts you are talking about. No offence to yaris owners in NA (hey I own one), but around here its not very desirable to own one of these babies. So for most people - if they had an extra couple of grand to spend on accessories the wouldn't be buying the yaris in the first place!

In other parts of the world where 1.5L engines are the norm (whereas in NA they are the exception) - there is a much bigger market for the extras.

Just a thought.
palsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
uncleyaris

i do see your point, but not all buyers are entry level, and some just love this little car and want to add some extra goodies.

uy
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
laurijh

Drives: Yaris (Sol, Fire Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palsan View Post
In other parts of the world where 1.5L engines are the norm (whereas in NA they are the exception) - there is a much bigger market for the extras.
1.5L? I'm not sure if you know this but in Europe, where Yaris is very popular, we can only get it with 1.0L and 1.3L engines. And 1.4L Diesel.

You're right though, it can't be called an entry-level car over here, on the contrary it's quite expensive for a small family car (but we do get a lot of stuff standard). I could've gotten a new, similarly-equipped Corolla for the same price I paid for my Yaris ($25,000 US), but a Corolla is unnecessarily big for me.
laurijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I don't understand this logic though.

If the Yaris is considered a low-end vehicle in the NA market, how does it hurt the consumer and Toyota if more accessories and options were merely offered?

It's not as if these options would become mandatory for the buyer, as they are called accessories and additional options for a reason. I also do not understand how this would hurt Toyota as the Yaris is assembled in Japan, and now Taiwan, where accessories are abundant at the factory assembly level. Granted, the extra accessories may add to the cost of the Yaris because of different specifications, it is still worth noting that this would add to the cost of the Yaris if the consumer was willing to pay for it in the first place.

A car does not magically become more expensive if an auto maker offers more accessories; it gives the consumer more purchasing power by allowing them to choose a barebone setup or a fully loaded model with all available features.

I find it extremely frustrating to be a NA auto consumer because we are always handed the short end of the stick, and there is virtually no freedom in customizing the vehicle to one's taste.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
uncleyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
I don't understand this logic though.

If the Yaris is considered a low-end vehicle in the NA market, how does it hurt the consumer and Toyota if more accessories and options were merely offered?

It's not as if these options would become mandatory for the buyer, as they are called accessories and additional options for a reason. I also do not understand how this would hurt Toyota as the Yaris is assembled in Japan, and now Taiwan, where accessories are abundant at the factory assembly level. Granted, the extra accessories may add to the cost of the Yaris because of different specifications, it is still worth noting that this would add to the cost of the Yaris if the consumer was willing to pay for it in the first place.

A car does not magically become more expensive if an auto maker offers more accessories; it gives the consumer more purchasing power by allowing them to choose a barebone setup or a fully loaded model with all available features.

I find it extremely frustrating to be a NA auto consumer because we are always handed the short end of the stick, and there is virtually no freedom in customizing the vehicle to one's taste.
Well stated. It might actually drive entry level interest knowing the mods/accessories available. Example, look at the interest for the tail lights from japan. Something so simple, yet 400 plus Canadian. Pis..es me off.

UY
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurijh View Post
1.5L? I'm not sure if you know this but in Europe, where Yaris is very popular, we can only get it with 1.0L and 1.3L engines. And 1.4L Diesel.
:
What he meant (I think) is where small engines (<2L) are common and larger engines are uncommon and "luxury." In NA a car with an engine less than 2l is a compact car, and the Yaris 1.5 a "joke" for many people here (although I laugh at them at the pump, mind you ).

The problem with factory installed options is that they have to adapt their lines to add the different options (although it should be to hard to use the regular ones and just change the haedlight assemblies and bumpers!) and that will increase the cost of the vehicle, which is not what they want for an "entry level" car.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
SmellyTofu
好多人&amp;

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
It does when they sell < 10/month.

Warehouse cost? Compliance cost? Tariff cost? Development cost? Shipping cost? Marketing/Promotion cost? Training cost? .. and that's just the start. It's not as simple as catalogue shopping.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
It does when they sell < 10/month.

Warehouse cost? Compliance cost? Tariff cost? Development cost? Shipping cost? Marketing/Promotion cost? Training cost? .. and that's just the start. It's not as simple as catalogue shopping.
Warehouse cost?
- Non existant if you consider that these vehicles are made to order. Would Toyota consider making dozens of fully loaded Yaris models just to store them?

Compliance cost?
- Like I stated, this would obviously drive up the cost of the vehicle because the accessories are made to conform to various specifications for each specific geographical market. You have a lot of accessories that can be used across the board slight modification.

Tariff cost?
- Again, this is another cost that would be added to the final cost of the vehicle. It's inevitable that if you are going to add more options to a vehicle, its price will increase. By offering such options, does this adversely affect an exact same vehicle with less features? Each vehicle has a base cost ex factory, anything beyond that will be accounted for by the manufacturer, marked up, and appropriately passed down to the consumer. This does not the base price of other vehicles.

Promotion?
- It does not cost very much to promote accessories and features; in fact, they are already promoted to begin with. It certainly does not significantly increase promotion and marketing costs because these functions are already planned for. When a new vehicle is launched, there is already a marketing and promotion function that introduces the customer to more value added features. It's not as if Toyota never had to mention accessories before and now must spend enormous amounts of resources to promote them.

Training?
- This would make things certainly easier for Toyota or any auto manufacturer if they developed a unified training schedule for a specific vehicle model and deployed this schedule to sales people and employees in each geographical region. You develop one system, revise it to each segment's specifications, aand push it across each given segment to educate the sales people.

No, it's not as simple as catalogue shopping and I never implied that.

What I am trying to get at is that merely offering these enhancements will not hurt anyone.

The NA market needs to get over the stigma that accessories, features, options, etc., should only be limited to high end vehicles. Consumers need to get over the fear that because a vehicle has limitless options, it MUST be an expensive car in the end.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
laurijh

Drives: Yaris (Sol, Fire Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt View Post
What he meant (I think) is where small engines (<2L) are common and larger engines are uncommon and "luxury." In NA a car with an engine less than 2l is a compact car, and the Yaris 1.5 a "joke" for many people here (although I laugh at them at the pump, mind you ).
Yeah, I suppose that's how it is, but if Americans on average drove the same cars as Europeans, the savings of oil usage would equal the total oil production of Russia. Of course, the users of this forum are improving the situation on their part. Now to get everyone else to buy a car like Yaris, too...
laurijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 AM   #14
SmellyTofu
好多人&amp;

Drives: .
bigsky, go apply for a job at Toyota Canada.... then you will find out how the big global T machine works. Then again, why should you. You're just a consumer, you only pay their bills.

TCI were/are currently focusing on selling cars... but they have a great accessories web site.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
bigsky, go apply for a job at Toyota Canada.... then you will find out how the big global T machine works. Then again, why should you. You're just a consumer, you only pay their bills.

TCI were/are currently focusing on selling cars... but they have a great accessories web site.
Great way to argue your point Tofu.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge on how the "big t" works?

In the mean time, I'll be applying for a job at Toyota Canada

Last edited by bigsky2; 01-19-2007 at 04:20 AM.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
uncleyaris

When you do get the job, can you get toyota to add those JDM tails to their accessories list and bring that cost down, LOL

UY