Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Target Market Observation

my observations here, It seems that many Yaris owners are not even the buyers
Toyota is apparently aiming this car for. I'm not an entry level buyer, late 30's, And I get the feeling many others here are in my braket or older( no offence). Just an observation, What does everyone else think?

UY
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
machine1

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to machine1
I'm early 30s, and just needed a simple, reliable, and economical car to commute to work and travel across the country with(Drove 3300+ miles to California first month I had it). After owning 3 Toyotas(79 SR5 pickup, 93 ES300, 01 Tacoma) it was a logical choice.
I like the european styling, multiple storage areas, and space efficiency of a car with such wierd dimensions on the outside. The liftback has it's own look and feel that ownership of one only applies to certain individuals. The four door has a more conventional look compared to the liftback, and the Corolla's just as cheap as the Yaris, but the Corolla is too vanilla.
It's too bad they don't offer the 5-door here in the states. I'd take my losses and trade mine in for one without hesitation.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I think that IS the target, age-wise. Scion is Toyota's youth-targeted brand. The Yaris is mostly being marketed as a gas saving commuter.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
I read where the target market for Yarii was the older driver, while the target market for the Scion was the younger group.

I think you are possibly in a never-never land between the two! I know why we bought a Yaris - we are OLD, but why did you???

It would have been even more worrisome if we had bought a Scion tA instead of a LB.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
For those wanting 5 doors, why not get an xB or xA and spec up? Just different styling but same functionality. Older folks still want to (at least) feel younger.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Yaris305
Banned

Drives: Black
Bro this is my first car i got it when i was 16 years old, but yea there are alot of old timers on this site especially that have little attitudes on top of that
Yaris305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
my observations here, It seems that many Yaris owners are not even the buyers
Toyota is apparently aiming this car for. I'm not an entry level buyer, late 30's, And I get the feeling many others here are in my braket or older( no offence). Just an observation, What does everyone else think?

UY
I'm in my mid-30's. One reason for gettting the Yaris is to feel young again....and it does!! Haha
Polar_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Mid 20's here and I love the styling far more better than enything Scion ever came (will?) come up. In my eyes (even before buying. Now you might say I'm biased) the Yaris is the best looking car on the road (sure, a BMW M3 2007 is sexy, but I think that after a while it would become a status symbol. The Yaris has no status symbol, and maybe that's the symbol it intends to project... weird eh?).
Plus, I've been waiting for a nice European small car to come up for a while. I grew up in a country where european brands and european designs (in american brands for instance) ruled, so I like them better than other designs.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I'm 54 and just wanted a simple very good gas milage car that is very reliable that didn't cost to much. My sister and brother in law like 30,000 dollar cars with alot of gadgets that break and that they can be in debt for several years with. Folks have different intellegence levels.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
gabagooo

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I don't think that I meet the demographic. I am 42 and traded down to the Yars from a 2006 Honda Civic. I almost went with a Mazda3, but my wife and I liked he idea of the hatch and the price was lower on the Yaris. On a side note, while out looking at cars we met an older couple (late 60s) with a Scion xA. They told me they bought the Scion becasue of the price and that it was a Toyota product. They REALLY blew the demographic out of the water for that brand.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Compared to the Fit, here in Toronto, it a appears that the younger drivers (30ish and less) are in the Yaris and the older ones opp for the Fit. Since I'm borderline, I prefer to go with the younger crowd.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris305 View Post
"there are alot of old timers on this site especially that have little attitudes on top of that"
GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!

I call it spirit...it's needed so one doesn't get beaten down over the years. It's that attitude, spirit, fiestiness - whatever you want to call it - that helps you get older and still have energy for, and interest in, life.

Otherwise, we'd likely be driving a metalic gold Buick La Sabre instead of a Yaris LB......lol

[FYI: Our LB replaced my strippo '98 Ford Ranger.........however, I think wife feels it is HER car instead of the 4Runner Sport V8 we bought a few months earlier with her name first on the Registration (replacing HER '97 Explorer). Oh well.]

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 01-24-2007 at 09:31 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I'm 35 just recently got married, so I inherited my wifes P.O.S. 99 Saturn used that for a down payment. The Yaris was originally supposed to be my wifes car, but I love it so much that I use the Yaris and she uses the civic.
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #14
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
21, i bought it cuz its cheap/sexy/built on proven reliability... is there more to buyin a car? :)

1st new car... and I do see lots of older folks ridin around in the LB's... I've yet to see someone below mid 30's.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
21, i bought it cuz its cheap/sexy/built on proven reliability... is there more to buyin a car? :)

1st new car... and I do see lots of older folks ridin around in the LB's... I've yet to see someone below mid 30's.
Beware fellow Chicagoan, I'm a new today Yaris owner!!!! I'm so excited for it! I'm used to fast, low BMW's, but this is the best $12K I ever spent! I got a conven pack, all weather pack, black, 5 spd litback for under invoice!!! Quite the deal over at Grossinger Toyota in Lincolnwood. Hope to see you around, btw, I'm only 26.
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
awesome!

http://www.acrbill.com/chicagolandyaris/ check it out :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
For the record, I'm 28, so I'm not saying that it's all old people BUYING the thing; just that Toyota doesn't seem to be going out of their way to target younger buyers the way they do with the Scion models. I read an article not too long ago (in either the Washington Post or the NY Times, I forget which) that said Scion is actually cutting WAY back on their advertisements because they're selling so many cars, they're afraid they'll stop being seen as "cool."

The Yaris could only hope for such a problem. Don't get me wrong, I think the LB is a pretty cool looking little car, but it does NOT, as yet, enjoy the brand image that the Scions (especially the xB) do and Toyota doesn't seem intent to help it along in that regard, for fear, I assume, of competing with themselves. Honda is doing a much better job pitching the Fit (nevermind that they always show you a Fit Sport, but quote the price of the Mini-Oddysey-looking base model).
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #18
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris305 View Post
Bro this is my first car i got it when i was 16 years old, but yea there are alot of old timers on this site especially that have little attitudes on top of that
Not little attitudes--BIG ATTITUDES!!! And we're not old, we're EXPERIENCED. Besides, even "old" girls just wanna have fun!
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote