Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Is the Yaris outdated?

Here is a question for you. Is the Yaris outdated? Seems like there are many other models....some much larger....that give you equal to if not better than gas mileage.

I bought my Yaris for a specific purpose to drive back and forth to Chicago and wanted a car that gave me great mileage. Hyundai, Kia, GM, and other car makers have quickly closed the gas mileage gap and overtaken the Yaris.

So that begs the question, is the Yaris outdated? The 2012 new generation model is basically the exact engine and transmission(s) of the earlier generation and no difference in mileage. I was hoping that Toyota would give us a smaller gas engine or even, I dare to say, a clean diesel engine that could produce some super mileage.

I would trade my 2009 model in for a diesel Yaris.

Any thoughts?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Not just the Yaris. Toyota has pretty much gone stale across all of its offerings.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The "tried and true" nature of the Yaris is a good thing.
Look at the problems Ford is having with their new vehicles.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
A diesel would be pretty cool. I imagine the gas mileage would be similar to a Jetta diesel, if not better.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
The "tried and true" nature of the Yaris is a good thing.
Look at the problems Ford is having with their new vehicles.
True, but atleast they are investing in technological advancements. If tried and true was the status quo, we'd all still be driving inline 6s with a 3 speed automatic.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Agreed, I'm just not going to be one of their Guinea pigs.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
For me the Yaris drivetrain is now outdated, but it also still has one of the best MPG for a gas engine.

The 2005 Echo is the only car that I've known that got far better than the EPA numbers on the side window. Even the 2nd gen Yaris gets better than the EPA numbers despite being heavier.

This is an economy car, and saving money is the number 1 goal. I had my Echo for 7 years and didn't spend even a cent on repairs over the years. IF I got a new direct injection engine with much better power but so so reliabilty I don't know if it'd be worth it. It would have to put a serious smile on my face every time behind the wheel if I had to pay for repairs.

On the whole Toyota needs to step up their game big time in order to get me to buy a new Toyota next time around. Looks like it's going to be a SKy-Activ Mazda unless Toyota finds some magic passion!
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
the least that toyota could have done with the new yaris is offer a 6spd
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Yeah for sure, on the manual and auto side of things. They just put up the prices on the Toyota.ca web site for the 2012. The 2012SE is cheaper than the outgoing 2011RS, they had to save coin somewhere or almost everywhere in order to do that. Too bad it had to be the entire power train that got UN-upgraded.

Mazda Sky-Activ is where it's at and going to be for the next few years... Engine, gear box, chassis and body improvements in balanced proportions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
the least that toyota could have done with the new yaris is offer a 6spd
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Check fuelly.com, about the only cars that beat the Yaris is the Prius and just barely the Smart Fourtwo. Most of the 40MPG cars are not actually achieving it and their owners are asking each other why they don't get the posted MPG on their forums.

The Yaris is very current with available technology for a 1.5 liter. Coil over ignition, variable valve timing, electronic throttle. I can't imagine what Toyota could have come up with for the 2012 yaris? Other than the 1.2 which will be coming in the IQ and the 1.8 that is in the corolla there are not any other gas choices. Diesel is nice, but costs quite a bit more per gallon and the engine is more expesive to build.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Something new for the sake of something new? The only reason for me to replace my Yaris would be if I wore out my present Yaris. Somehow, I just don't think I will live long enough to do that...

If I end up with another vehicle, it will be something that I build myself; however, I know it will not be anywhere as efficient or as durable as the Yaris. Lots of things I don't like about it, but for the bucks, it is as good as it gets.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Price-point vehicle

The Yaris is built to exact a particular price point, keeping things like 6 speeds out of the picture is the only way to achieve that, primary goal.

I've certainly had pricier, sexier, and more exciting cars but the Yaris appealed to me for it's simple "goodness", low cost of ownership, and of course Toyota (still, IMO) reputation for legendary durability.

So far delighted with my selection, and plan on a 10 year relationship with mine...something that's only happened once before in my vehicular realtionships. That was with a Vespa, another legendary vehicle which I swore I'd never sell. I sold it for another Vespa which will be in my possession for 6 years in January.
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Check fuelly.com, about the only cars that beat the Yaris is the Prius and just barely the Smart Fourtwo. Most of the 40MPG cars are not actually achieving it and their owners are asking each other why they don't get the posted MPG on their forums.

The Yaris is very current with available technology for a 1.5 liter. Coil over ignition, variable valve timing, electronic throttle. I can't imagine what Toyota could have come up with for the 2012 yaris? Other than the 1.2 which will be coming in the IQ and the 1.8 that is in the corolla there are not any other gas choices. Diesel is nice, but costs quite a bit more per gallon and the engine is more expesive to build.
I agree the diesel is more expensive, both in fuel and production cost, but if the cost benefit side of it means more MPG that is better per mile than the current 1.5L gas engine, then I would be willing to spend the extra to get the extra.

Additionally, diesel engines usually last longer although when talking about Toyota engines, its probably a wash because they last so long as it is.

I am not saying the current Yaris is bad. It is very dependable, reliable, cost efficient, and an excellent value. What I am saying is that Toyota has not advanced fuel mileage to keep track with the industry. Also, the US gets crummy Toyota options compared to the rest of the world. They might cost more, but the options are what sells cars!

No matter who bad the other car makers are, they still can find nifty options that keep people in their show rooms and buying the options!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The latest sales figures (2010 vs 2011) indicate that Toyota is loosing its market share in the US to US manufactures and has has now fallen substantially below Ford, GM and Chrysler.
Meanwhile, Hyundai/KIA and Nissan are now gaining a bit of US market share.

It would appear that Toyota resting on its laurels somewhat and relaxing quality controls a bit has cost them dearly.

BTW, even Honda's market share in the US has gone down a bit but, not as much as Toyota.

Last edited by RedRide; 10-28-2011 at 01:38 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Buddy Fan

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
I agree. Most of these new 40mpg cars are not approacing that number, but a lot of the Yaris owners are meeting or exceeding that number. Part of the lure of the Yaris for me is that I could buy it and keep it for 10 years or more with (hopefully) just maintenance - cheapish parts with little or nothing to break. Having a reliable car that's cheap to run is the only way I'll ever get the Cadillac I've been dreaming about since I was 25.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Too bad about your lusting after a Cattletruck... The closest I ever go to one was the '53 Ford I had with a 365 Caddy engine/trans. It was fun, but the saddest people to see it go (to my ex-wife!!) was the local gas station. I could drive my Morris for a whole month on what that pig burnt in 3 days and have a LOT more fun doing it!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
I would take simple, tried and true over a few alleged mpg any day of the week.

6 speed in a Yaris...no, thanks. more complexity to achieve very little. btw, I have driven a Malibu with a 6 speed and let me tell you that tranny is not programmed that well. any of the good old 4 speeds I've driven before and after were more intuitive.
Honda's and Mazda's 5 speed ones I do like, but again the 4 in the Yaris doesn't feel any worse.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
The Yaris is economical car. I bought it for the fact that it would get me from point A to point B as cheaply as possible over the next 15 years. More modifications means a higher price tag. Toyota has done a poor job in selling the Yaris. The dealers try to steer you into more expensive cars while on the lot. If there was a bigger demand Toyota might put more effort into the US market.