Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
CanadianHiFive2

Drives: Sedan
How to thread wire through the fire wall

I need majour help, im trying to install a amp on a 2007 sedan and i cant figure out a way to attach the power cable from the battery to the back of my trunk where my amp is located. Any help/pictures on how to do this would be much appreciated
CanadianHiFive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
If I had to go through the firewall I'd drill a hole in a lower corner and draw it into the passenger compartment and into the trunk under the carpet in a low traffic area (where feet won't generally go). On one of my cars I was lucky enough to shield the cable and run it under the vehicle through a drain/vent hole in the side of the trunk. You'd have to remove the liner.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
How about those of us who don't want to drill in the firewall?

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
How about those of us who don't want to drill in the firewall?
There used to be a DIY on this. I think there was a place in the area behind the battery.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
depending on what gauge of cable your using there is some space through were the steering column goes through the firewall remove kick panel through driver side take out the foot rest, bottom door molding (or whatever its called) just lossen the center pillar molding and you can pass the cable to back no problem though there, will try to post some pics tomorrow if you need i have the power cable going to the back through the driver side and all the music cables going through the passenger side.

PS
If you place a ring connector you can tap into the battery right of the terminal under the red cap
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
There is a very large spaceship looking rubber gromet that a wiring harness passes through close to the steering column (way up above the pedals). It is soft rubber, about 4 inches in diameter, and protrudes into the passanger compartment. The instructions for the cruise control that I installed had a wire to pass through the firewall, and they instructed to cut a SMALL slit in that gromet (in the soft area next to where the harness passes through), tape the end of the wire to a stiff wire, feed it through, and find it on the engine side. Worked a treat.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Who has been successful drilling through the firewall? I am assuming a firewall bushing would be a really good thing. Any advice for us who are thinking about this??
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
cfiimei, your thread helped me. Worked just fine. Was hard to get to until I remembered that the plastic cover comes off and makes it easier to reach up to the grommet.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
Who has been successful drilling through the firewall? I am assuming a firewall bushing would be a really good thing. Any advice for us who are thinking about this??
there are several grommets on the firewall:

right hand side - pg 188 of 339 shows darker gray circles on the top left picture, those are areas open between engine bay and cabin with rubber grommets. You will need to pull back the carpet and I think you can get to them without taking the glovebox/cabin air filter plastics out.

left hand side - just get a flash light and look (up) under the steering wheel on the firewall there is one there (that you can also see sitting directly under the wiper motor from the engine bay). From the cabin side, pull the panel under the steering wheel down to get a better view

oh and I've installed successfully cruise control and amp that have required passing this magical barrier.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
follow the wires from the ecu to the rightside of the car( behind battery) and u will see two tube looking rubber nipples.. cut the end off and feed it thru... vola
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
lilred08

Drives: 08 Hatch
on the passenger side there is a small hole if you lift up the carpet and look on the fire wall you cant really miss it, and you can run any gauge power wire the only thing is make sure its good quality because it runs pretty close to the headers. Good Stinger wire usually come with heat protection and make sure to mount the fuse far i melted one already.
lilred08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
if you want anything larger than 4awg wire you have to drill through the firewall. Its not that horrible of a job to drill.... just gotta find a place your drill will fit, and have a fat bit... or the nice step up drill bits that sell for like $30.

be careful of wires when drilling.

Tags
amp, firewall, install