Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Drummer829

Drives: future prius
Battery removal

My battery is dead, so I was going to pull it out and swap one out from Walmart. I tried googling it though and had no luck and I'm on my phone so it wouldn't let me search through this forum.

Can anyone send me a link on how to do it. I'm assuming its just the 2 bolts that clamp on the battery and then the long skinny black bar in front. But just want to make sure there's nothing else I'm missing
Drummer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer829 View Post
My battery is dead, so I was going to pull it out and swap one out from Walmart. I tried googling it though and had no luck and I'm on my phone so it wouldn't let me search through this forum.

Can anyone send me a link on how to do it. I'm assuming its just the 2 bolts that clamp on the battery and then the long skinny black bar in front. But just want to make sure there's nothing else I'm missing
That is all that is too it. Just disconnect the negative terminal first and be careful not to drop your wrench where it make contact with both terminals.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer829 View Post

Just a head's up...Walmart's MAXX 35 'brand' ( and code 35 size) wouldn't fit in my 07 5-speed Manual USDM 3-door hatch (September 2012)....had to go with a Wal-Mart code 26R instead. The MAXX 35 has enough clearance to close the hood, the clamp just won't fit over it to secure it. They showed me that this was the case (I played dumb, as I already knew this...a different Wal-Mart about 10-15 miles away refused to put in a 26R three years earlier).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

For about the same price as the Walmart Maxx 35 you can get the Napa Legend 7535, which is a perfect fit and is actually made by Deka.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Optima batteries fit fine. :)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For about the same price as the Walmart Maxx 35 you can get the Napa Legend 7535, which is a perfect fit and is actually made by Deka.
Good to know. What do you think might be a good choice re 'best value re reserve time' (as the most important criteria) for a low to mid priced battery for a USDM Yaris? I'm finding the Wal-Mart Ever Start 26R I have (in my Yaris since September 2012) isn't quite as good re reserve time as the Sears Plus Start 26R (in my Yaris from September 2009 to September 2012). I don't remember how either compares to my OEM battery.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
coudn't find one for my car in the area :(
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Good to know. What do you think might be a good choice re 'best value re reserve time' (as the most important criteria) for a low to mid priced battery for a USDM Yaris? I'm finding the Wal-Mart Ever Start 26R I have (in my Yaris since September 2012) isn't quite as good re reserve time as the Sears Plus Start 26R (in my Yaris from September 2009 to September 2012). I don't remember how either compares to my OEM battery.
If you do some review searching for the Walmart batteries they don't have a good reputation. Also, by dropping from at type 35 to a type 26 battery you dropped your reserve from somewhere between 90 and 95 minutes to around 55 minutes.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
If you do some review searching for the Walmart batteries they don't have a good reputation. Also, by dropping from at type 35 to a type 26 battery you dropped your reserve from somewhere between 90 and 95 minutes to around 55 minutes.
Thank you. This is exactly the information I desired -- namely, now that I know there is a 35 that you specifically know will fit and felt good enough about to mention, how much more reserve time would I get for the additional cost. I read posts from Trini and others who live through 'Gulf Summers' before my last battery purchase, and thought I'd just replace it each year (like Trini does...but he gets his for free through a no longer offered guarantee). I'm now going to change that plan. When my current 26R hits 1 year in September, I'll get the Napa Legend you mentioned and try keeping it for 2 years and see what the performance is like in that second year. After reading your original answer to the OP, out of curiosity, I checked online to see what the prices would be for my area re my current battery and the Napa Legend you described. Result -- $59 and change for the Wal-Mart Ever Start 26R and $104 and change for the Napa Legend. With the Ever Start 26R costing more than half what the Legend does, my new plan will be cheaper. Even if I don't keep my current Yaris as a DD for that whole time, I may still have it and will have a plan in place for a brand new Yaris DD as that one ages.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
what are you doing to your car to need to change the battery so often? I have needed only one battery change since I bought the car. I bought the cheapest 35 series battery from sears, it has been wondrous so far, even starting the car in near zero degree weather after sitting for almost a week.

well, excluding my short lived deka trial. I just don't drive the car enough to use it.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Here's the deal...buy whatever battery you can get your hands on to get going, then buy one of these...http://shop.microimageonline.com/BRA...ery-B14115.htm and return the Wal-Mart battery, or whatever it is, for a pro-rated refund.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
what are you doing to your car to need to change the battery so often? I have needed only one battery change since I bought the car. I bought the cheapest 35 series battery from sears, it has been wondrous so far, even starting the car in near zero degree weather after sitting for almost a week.

well, excluding my short lived deka trial. I just don't drive the car enough to use it.
My OEM lasted a few weeks short of 3 years and 138,000 miles. I milked every last mile and day out of it...literally a couple of miles from the car stalling. I didn't want that to happen again so when I started to notice the car was taking longer to start, etc. I decided to replace the 2nd battery at exactly 3 years to the day (so nearly 6 years from the day I purchased the car) and an additional 86,000-88,000 miles (can't remember the number...it's on another thread). This first replacement battery (Sears) was quite inexpensive and was only a 1 year guarantee battery. From what I've read in replies to some of my posts (and many other posts that weren't replies to me), the heat here (and in other similar areas weather wise) is very hard on car batteries -- it shortens the life of a battery. As I mentioned, at least a few members (who also happen to be in a similar climate) change their batteries before 'end of life', as a precaution/preventative maintenance/however one wants to refer to or classify that idea. The battery I've had in my Yaris since late September 2012 (a Wal-Mart Ever Start 26R) will certainly last longer than 1 year, but I want more reserve power before this battery gets near 'its end'. I'm just too frugal to do that before getting at least one year of use out of it . I planned to replace it at the 1 year mark irrespective of it still holding a charge, and before the desire for more reserve power. The only change I'm making to that plan is that I will now replace it with a battery that has a longer reserve time, rather than replacing it with the same model/brand/size.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
Here's the deal...buy whatever battery you can get your hands on to get going, then buy one of these...http://shop.microimageonline.com/BRA...ery-B14115.htm and return the Wal-Mart battery, or whatever it is, for a pro-rated refund.
Why do you feel it is worth about 50% more than the cost of the NAPA Legacy that CTScott mentioned?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Yes they do. I actually learned that either last year or before my OEM battery died (can't remember which). I felt It wasn't worth it to put one in (or a similar competitor) unless I was certain that I'd put the aftermarket stereo I pulled from another car I owned (JL Audio, etc.) into this Yaris.....and I'm not sure I'll do that. I may wait and put that stereo in a new replacement Yaris.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
That braille battery would never last the winter here. I don't know about your climate .. but I think you should consider all options before you make a choice.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

52 minutes ago (after all of my previous posts on this thread) I just happened to hear one of the information blurbs from a local woman owned garage on the radio. The blurb -- that the average car battery in Texas lasts 33 months and that this is one of the shortest averages of such in the world.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
That braille battery would never last the winter here. I don't know about your climate .. but I think you should consider all options before you make a choice.
Good point...and the OP lives in Illinois....much closer to your climate than where Yarflana lives.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Just picked one up today, since the OEM battery (which has been dying since around last October) finally gave up the ghost. I figured over 4½ years ain't bad, especially in Texas!

I really like the Legend, and to top it off NAPA gave me 10% for being retired military (active duty get the same discount), so I was out of there for $104 after taxes, disposal fees, etc.

It's nice to know my battery won't go flat after sitting for a week or two!

It also fit like a glove! Took me all of two minutes to install!