Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Back seats don't fold flat?

Hey guys I have a 08 yaris with 60/40 split back seats. They side forward and fold completely flat and i can cover them with the plastic protector pieces.

My dad just bought a 07 with non 60/40 back seats. When he folds it down it doesn't come close to folding flat. And they don't slide up. Also the plastic pieces don't lay down on the seat well at all. He wanted to use it as a work car instead of driving his v10 cargo van. But he can't situate his toolbox in the back right because he can't get the flat surface.

Is this just something you have to live with in the non 60/40 yaris hatchbacks or is there a way to make it flatten? My mom's is a single back seat too but I never messed with folding it down.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
You are correct. Non-60/40 seats do not fold flat.
Your dad bought the cheap-ass model Yaris like I did.
He must live with it or trade/sell it.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can actually swap the bench with a 60/40 (as I did with my red one), if you can track one down (someone on here had one for sale for quite some time without interest).

There are two missing threaded inserts on a bench seat car. That is the one challenge to doing the swap.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
why doesn't he just remove the bottom seat cushion to give the back more room to fold?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Like CTScott said, finding one isn't easy, but they are out there. (I wonder how much Toyota sells them for?)

Or kind of like Bluevitz said, but going even further, remove the entire seat. Some guy did a neat setup involving removal of the backrest and lower seat cushion, and utilized the lower frame to make a flat piece. He needed the room for his equipment. His thread is on here somewhere....just gotta look.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
or do what i did for a while, since i wasn't using the rear seats, i took them out. might solve the problem until he can find a replacement seat.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
harda toenail

I'll mention to him that he may want to just take the back seats out. Thanks for the replies guys. Just wanted to be sure we weren't missing anything
Old 09-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
I just got a 2009 woth 40/60 seats and they don't fold down flat either? I don't think they slide forward because they seem mounted without sliders
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
I just got a 2009 woth 40/60 seats and they don't fold down flat either? I don't think they slide forward because they seem mounted without sliders
There are two levers on the back of the rear seats. One allows you to slide the seat forward and the other folds the seat. To lay the 60/40 flat you first have to slide them forward. The base of the front is mounted rigidly, so the sliders are just under the rear portion (you can see back of the sliders if you lift the cover over the spare tire).
Old 09-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Also, make sure you don't have anything on the floor behind the front seats. When
they fold down, it will smash into anything down there. I have to remember that
from time to time. Other than that, I love that they fold down flat compared to by
buddy's 2007 with non-split seats.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
harda toenail

Ya I slide mine all the way forward then they fold completely flat. Looks so nice :). I have to move my driver seat up until I fold them down then I can move the driver seat back again.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There are two levers on the back of the rear seats. One allows you to slide the seat forward and the other folds the seat. To lay the 60/40 flat you first have to slide them forward. The base of the front is mounted rigidly, so the sliders are just under the rear portion (you can see back of the sliders if you lift the cover over the spare tire).
Thanks for the tip, I even went and looked at a `how to` on youtube. It seems my seats will fold down but they are completely missing the second leaver to slide the seats (only one leaver on each seat to fold down).

Odd I thought all 60/40 seats could slide.

Not a big deal as I was still able to fit our new dining table top from ikea into the back and just able to close the hatch this weekend!

After driving an austin mini for so long the yaris feels so big to me like a mini-van!

EDIT: Just looked in the manual and it seems mine is an 'option B' so it doesn't slide forward if I had the 'option a' it would

Last edited by rcvmini; 09-23-2013 at 03:26 PM.
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
Thanks for the tip, I even went and looked at a `how to` on youtube. It seems my seats will fold down but they are completely missing the second leaver to slide the seats (only one leaver on each seat to fold down).

Odd I thought all 60/40 seats could slide.

Not a big deal as I was still able to fit our new dining table top from ikea into the back and just able to close the hatch this weekend!

After driving an austin mini for so long the yaris feels so big to me like a mini-van!

EDIT: Just looked in the manual and it seems mine is an 'option B' so it doesn't slide forward if I had the 'option a' it would
That is wild. I have never seen the 60/40 fold only version. That must have been a Canada only option.