Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Strat

Drives: 2008 Yaris 4-door hatchback
Exclamation Help! Put a gallon of diesel in my Yaris!

While refueling, I was thinking of a million things and accidentally put a gallon of diesel in the gas tank. I filled up with regular gas once I noticed my mistake thinking that the small amount should be diluted enough among the entire tank's worth of regular gas.

What should I do? Am I freaking out for nothing because it's such a small amount? Or do I absolutely need to bring it to the mechanic to have the tank drained entirely?
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Get it drained IMMEDIATELY. I wouldn't even start it. Have it towed. That's my take on it.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A gallon to a full tank would probably be OK, but although it might not hurt the fuel system, it may damage the catalytic converter.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
A gallon to a full tank would probably be OK, but although it might not hurt the fuel system, it may damage the catalytic converter.
Yes your right, won't do much or damage engine compared to gas in diesel engine but...........it will most likely effect the cat by clogging it to some extent.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Strat

Drives: 2008 Yaris 4-door hatchback
Had to go to the store to pick something up real quick. Noticed the acceleration was somewhat hesitant. I drive a stick. Especially 0 to 1, it's more stubborn... as if it needs an extra push.

I'm thinking of simply bringing it to the mechanic to have the tank drained. Roughly how much should that cost (just to ensure I'm not getting ripped off)?
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I'm a little surprised the diesel nozzle fit in the yaris filler-neck. 4L of 40L isn't a huge amount. If you aren't noticing any symptoms other than the slight loss of power, I would just drive it until the tank is 1/2 down, then refill. You shouldn't see any cat. damage from that amount/duration. If you want it drained, most shops will just suck it out with a fuel-caddy. I'd probably charge 0.5-0.8H for a little Yaris.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I say drive it. If it was only a gallon it shouldn't have much negative effect considering it was diluted in a full tank of gasoline. Maybe some slight loss of power like you noticed. Diesel will lower the octane of your fuel. (Cetane is essentially an opposite of octane). Drive it down to half a tank then fill with premium gas to get the total octane back up to normal.

Also diesel nowadays is ULSD, ultra low sulfur. So while it is still dirtier than gasoline it is not as dirty as in the old days. What I'm trying to say is I think your catalytic converter will be OK.

If it was me I'd drive it.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Interesting dilemma. I would have it drained. But it would be good to know if you could get away without draining.

Seems like they ought to come up with a way to prevent this sort of thing...
Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The pump handles are supposed to be different sizes. Gas handles are the smallest. Diesel pumps are larger diameter, in fact they are the old leaded gas pump handles. Then there is really big diesel pump handles for trucks.

But it is just "industry standard", it's not a real law, and as a result you can find mismatched pump handles all over the place.

I used to drive a diesel car. So many stories of fellow diesel drivers filling their cars with gasoline can be found among the various diesel enthusiasts forums. This was always a topic of discussion.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The pump handles are supposed to be different sizes. Gas handles are the smallest. Diesel pumps are larger diameter, in fact they are the old leaded gas pump handles. Then there is really big diesel pump handles for trucks.

But it is just "industry standard", it's not a real law, and as a result you can find mismatched pump handles all over the place.

I used to drive a diesel car. So many stories of fellow diesel drivers filling their cars with gasoline can be found among the various diesel enthusiasts forums. This was always a topic of discussion.
Very interesting. I also find the very different 'handle/nozzle mechanisms' I've seen in different U.S. states and also how different vintages of pumps (even some with rotating wheel displays)'weave into that tapestry' quite interesting.. The mechanisms that leave me SMH the most are the newest ones in California...with a 'straight jacket' to try to prevent the customer from filling without a seal.

I've also put 86 octane in both my '07 Yaris and my '14 Yaris in states where many pumps have 86 octane as the 'regular' grade...and I've never noticed any ill effects.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
...they have, large print signs stating which fuel corresponds to each pump...sorry but someone had to say it
Old 09-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post

There are plenty places that have both standard and big nozzle for diesel, since many smaller diesel cars have a smaller filler neck, like a Smart ForTwo for instance.

In Canada, diesel nozzle is usually defined by yellow.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
...they have, large print signs stating which fuel corresponds to each pump...sorry but someone had to say it
Bronsin lives in New Jersey. Not a thing that many Canadians would probably know, but the State of New Jersey does not allow customers to pump their own fuel. I know, it is a ridiculous regulation . My understanding is that the primary reason this regulation is still in place is desire to prevent the unemployment rate from increasing. There is one other U.S. state that has the same regulation.....Oregon. A motel owner from Medford, Oregon told me this regulation stays in place in Oregon for the same reason I stated re New Jersey.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
tmontague

I knew about the NJ laws w/ pumping gas, but was aware as to their reasoning behind it. I'm assuming it wasn't a gas attendant that filled the OP's car w/ diesel? If that was thee case than the responsibility should rest on their shoulders
Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I knew about the NJ laws w/ pumping gas, but was aware as to their reasoning behind it. I'm assuming it wasn't a gas attendant that filled the OP's car w/ diesel? If that was thee case than the responsibility should rest on their shoulders
Bronsin isn't the OP. My point was that Bronsin might not have noticed what you were pointing out to him re the 'lay of the land' so to speak while standing at a pump because he fills up in New Jersey and the attendant would always be the one standing in front of the pump and seeing 'the lay of the land' instead of Bronsin .
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #16
tmontague

Very true, point taken
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Very true, point taken
Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 AM   #18
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Bronsin lives in New Jersey. Not a thing that many Canadians would probably know, but the State of New Jersey does not allow customers to pump their own fuel. I know, it is a ridiculous regulation . My understanding is that the primary reason this regulation is still in place is desire to prevent the unemployment rate from increasing. There is one other U.S. state that has the same regulation.....Oregon. A motel owner from Medford, Oregon told me this regulation stays in place in Oregon for the same reason I stated re New Jersey.
I won't be moving to NJ. I like to pump my own gas. I don't overfill it or get any on the paint. I'm a "shaker." It's just my nature.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote