Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
kylemhall
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris Liftback
Speaker Rattling

Hello All,
I thought I would replace my factory speakers in hopes of getting better sound out of my system. I purchased a set of Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" speakers ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product ). I have replaced one speaker so far, the rear right hand speaker.

What I have found is that the new speaker seems to have less bass than the factory speaker in the rear. Furthermore, it seems to be vibrating the car body. I used 1/4" MDF to make my spacer. I'm pretty sure I installed it tight and solid, so it's not the speaker rattling against the body, it seems that the speaker and body are vibrating together. Could this explain the loss of bass compared to the OEM speaker?

I've been looking at all the previous posts about speaker replacement. It looks like dynamat may fix this problem, but I would love to avoid anything that invasive unless I have to.

Any advice on what I can do would very appreciated.
kylemhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Your Factory speaker and Head Unit (cd player ) is Rated at 10 Watts RMS You New speaker is rated at 40 Watt's RMS which is probably why it don't sound as loud as the Factory. An Aftermarket headunit is usually rated around 45-50 watts RMS which is probably the application the Speakers were designed for.

You can also refer to this thread for Sound Deadening http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26150

Or this thread we touch base about alot of diff topics on these Threads http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26252

I know you have a Hatch, but doors are doors.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Get a subwoofer if you want bass coming from the rear.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Get a subwoofer if you want bass coming from the rear.
I think he's bummed because it had less the before!,LOL
S7 is right though, the factory head unit isnt gutsy enough to push a more power hungry speaker. The factory speakers are designed to work in a low power system. Replacement speakers are not.
You could get a decent 4x50 or 75 rms amp and probably bring them to life! Or if you want, just a 2x50 or so amp for the back ones.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
_S7V7N_ is spot on.
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
+1 to everything said so far. Also if you're not ready to use dynamat or something similar, you might try just getting some speaker baffle things. It's like a cup for the speaker, not really sure exactly how well they "actually" work, but I have them on my speakers and I think it made a slight difference before the sound deadening.

Best bet is to probably go with sickpuppy1's advice and grab an amp if you're wanting to keep the factory look.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
ludlamtheory

Drives: 2007 red 2 door
S7V7N:
Find me a headunit rated at 40w RMS per channel. The heat generated by 160w rms would destroy the internals of a single DIN unit.
most alpine & pioneer HU's top out at 18w per channel. and that's at foolishly high THD's

but

to the original poster: More bass is not easy to get from aftermarket speakers. you have to remember that the speakers that came with your car were designed FOR your car. more bass from aftermarket speakers in stock locations requires prep work, deadening, sealing off the door, and yes, more power. those flimsy paper cones on the stocks are made to move tons of air at low powers, the RF's you bought are made to handle way more and therefore are performing nowhere near potential from strictly deck power.
ludlamtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I apologize for being so Ignorant, In the Future More Research will be done before Answering or Trying to Help any more YW Members questions ..Ty

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote